Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: FAKE sandisk cards floating around in Clubsnap

Default Re: FAKE sandisk cards floating around in Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i also don't know
    i buy original only or cheap skate brand but also original
    Hee, same here. I bought Twinmos and Sandisk Ultra and Extreme IV from authorised dealers....
    Canon 20D,400D,5QD | 17-40mm F4L | 50 f1.8 |100 f2 | 200 f2.8L | 70-210 f3.5-4.5 | 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    same reason why ppl can spend tens of thousands on BMW lexus mercedes.. hell even toyota. but wanna save $1 on parking coupons.

perhaps when the answer is found there will be world peace
    Ya quite true. Many a time I got cars (not limit to one brand) who would follow very closely behind me when exiting a gantry carpark. When the gantry opens and my car moves out, they would speed through the gantry before it close completely.
    Canon 20D,400D,5QD | 17-40mm F4L | 50 f1.8 |100 f2 | 200 f2.8L | 70-210 f3.5-4.5 | 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    fyi
    the difference in brands for memory devices AFAIK is that
    the 'top' brands get the first picking for the chips..
    then the middle tier ...
    then the others...

BUT they might originate from the same factory.

buying cheaper brands doesn't mean u get shady stuff it might be of same quality as more expensive brands.
    buying more expensive brands doesn't gurantee you higher quality as well as its all a matter of statistics.

I am quite curious where fake memory cards stands in here.. whether they are worse off than cheaper brands or not.

but yah if budget is ur plan i think there's nothing wrong with going for cheaper brands.
    hmmm i even considering getting a slower speed card. i can count with my toes the number of times i have made use of the high speed write buffer max limit.
    You are quite right. For ppl who worked in semiconductor industries before, I believe you will know what is Bin 1, bin 2 ...etc (all these are rating to IC chips on their performance...).

Hmmm...

Anyone willing to open one of the said CF cards and take a pic of the insides, and post it here?

This is something I learn about those "unknown" mfgr especially in Southern China. They can produce any brand of IC chip for those DIMM, they just mark them on the "blank" chip. They will use partial defective memory chip and hardware compression chip and sell at the full capacity for thing like thumb drive, you only figure them out if you save compressed files. They harvest chips from old PCBA and re-build them of some product and sell them new. They have a lot more other tricks.

If you are doing business with them, you better be careful, they might send you some reasonable standard product for the 1st shipment, then send you empty shell for the next shipment when you order more or they can simply run away with your money. If you want to get cheap deal from them, you better station there full time to monitor and audit them.

Oh, the guys there who run business at a desk in some building, telling you that they are from a certain factory, bullshit, the factory get nothing to do with them. They just take in business for themselves and ask one of this factory to build for them.

If you happen to be there to buy from the retail outlets, take the unit they show you that perform to the stated spec and please please don't get a "new" unit. That new unit in many a thing is something that of a very low spec or simply don't work.
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

Just to share my experience..
    had one piece of the said "extreme3 8gb"
    on camerea itself taking 6 burst of raw is much slower than my 2gb transcend 120x
    however tested with my card reader, original sandisk extreme3 usb2
    there was problem detecting the card and let alone transfering.

similiar situation happened to the few of the extreme iv cards.

in the end.. i am better off with a retail 4gb

For those who feel that they have been cheated with the fake Sandisk Cards, you can try email Sandisk Support at asia_support@sandisk.com

Clubsnap admin Jason mentioned that Sandisk has been inform on this issue and they should be monitoring the forums now.

As long as there are enough evident and those buyers are willing to stand as witness, chances of the seller being prosecuted is very high.

Hope this help.

greetings all,

i started a thread for MO on one of the 2 MO for "oem" sandisk cards.

Kindly allow me to explain the situation please. i chanced upon a china supplier who claimed that they purchase sandisk flash chips, produce the cf cards using their own facilities & called it oem.

as a non-IT guy or one who works in the semi-conductor industry, i thought that the deal sounded quite satisfying. before i ordered the cards from the said supplier who claimed they were third party manufacturer too, i did a quick check at SLS on the retail packing & price.

after realising that the ones sold on retail was far too expensive from the ones supplied by the china supplier, i figured, why not try a MO for this particular card that may help csers members save some money too?

so i posted the MO translating everything that was told to me by the china supplier. they had pictures emailed to me & without any indepth experience on how to spot fake vs original, i thought they looked the same, backed up by them consistently saying that these are oem cards.

when the cards were delivered, after a couple of hours later, i discovered some of the MO buyers started complaining about speed, authenticity & quality of the cards. i was surprised, shocked & disaapointed naturally. because my main intention was not to cheat any of the buyers.

however, some buyers also said they are not particular about the speed or quality, they just are happy with the capacity. for a moment, i thought, which one is this? is it fake or is it real oem?

then after noticing that there seems to be so much heat going around regarding this discussion, my worst nightmare started. the thought of me actually unintentionally selling these 'fake' cards to innocent buyers who supported the MO, just made my heart sank.

i then said contacted my supplier to see if i can get a refund or replacement & said to them that they had cheated me by claiming the cards were oem. their reply? ("sorry we sell only & we dont do any refunds. we tested all the cards before shipping out to you & they were all ok. perhaps you want to try asking your customers to format the cards ?")

wahhh...i was so confused & naturally the next right thing i thought was right to do was to think of a way to compensate my poor buyers. attempts & actions on my end made was calling some of the buyers who were reachable & asking them if they had anymore problems with their cards.

at the same time, while all this was going on, i had already began my 2nd MO selling the original adata cf cards, which i got in touch directly with adata taiwan manufacturing office, spoke directly with adata export sales manager & wanted to verify originality of their cards. they supported me with sufficient answers that i was convinced they were real makers of the cards, also by verifying their company official adata website.

from there, i had posted all details of the 2 adata cards i am marketing by gaining direct info & pictures of the cards direct from manufacturer. but to play safe, i wanted these cards to be tested first which was why invitation to potential buyers was opened to test the cards & post open field reports in the forum.

with the new samples coming in, since this is the original adata cards, i offered some form of mutually agreed compensation with affected buyers who approached me. from what i can afford personally, i refunded quite a few of the affected buyers from my own pocket.

however, as i cant afford to offer refund for those who were affected, my other alternative was to offer them to get the new ones, exchange for the old ones & just top up the difference. in this manner, they still get their CF cards which they set out to buy in the first place, & as for myself, i had to be on the losing end, forking out $$ too for purchasing the 2nd group of cards from adata for a new MO. in fact for those affected, you only pay about 20% of cost, where i fork out the rest. trust me, i am paying for the loss in this manner too bros.

sincerely from the bottom of my heart, i didnt intend to cheat anyone out of this 1st MO. i felt cheated too & theres no way of turning the clock to avoid it. now that it has gone to this stage, i hope my apology to everyone or anyone who felt they were cheated / shortchanged or mislead, please accept my sincere apology.

during the course of reading posts with different undesirable attacking remarks towards me just didn't help the matter & in some ways i felt that no one understood the whole situation before directing all arrows towards me. that sparked me to defend myself & unintentionally fired back remarks to those who condemned me baselessly.

however, again, i am really sorry if my words kinda offended you guys if at all it did. i hope my efforts in compensating or offering the affected buyers has somehow calmed down the storm. again, i am so sorry for what happened & i didn't plan for any of these to happen, in the first place, its just my bad luck.

thanks for sparing time to read csers...

Quote Originally Posted by D60D60 View Post
    greetings all,

i started a thread for MO on one of the 2 MO for "oem" sandisk cards.

Kindly allow me to explain the situation please. i chanced upon a china supplier who claimed that they purchase sandisk flash chips, produce the cf cards using their own facilities & called it oem.

as a non-IT guy or one who works in the semi-conductor industry, i thought that the deal sounded quite satisfying. before i ordered the cards from the said supplier who claimed they were third party manufacturer too, i did a quick check at SLS on the retail packing & price.

after realising that the ones sold on retail was far too expensive from the ones supplied by the china supplier, i figured, why not try a MO for this particular card that may help csers members save some money too?

so i posted the MO translating everything that was told to me by the china supplier. they had pictures emailed to me & without any indepth experience on how to spot fake vs original, i thought they looked the same, backed up by them consistently saying that these are oem cards.

when the cards were delivered, after a couple of hours later, i discovered some of the MO buyers started complaining about speed, authenticity & quality of the cards. i was surprised, shocked & disaapointed naturally. because my main intention was not to cheat any of the buyers.

however, some buyers also said they are not particular about the speed or quality, they just are happy with the capacity. for a moment, i thought, which one is this? is it fake or is it real oem?

then after noticing that there seems to be so much heat going around regarding this discussion, my worst nightmare started. the thought of me actually unintentionally selling these 'fake' cards to innocent buyers who supported the MO, just made my heart sank.

i then said contacted my supplier to see if i can get a refund or replacement & said to them that they had cheated me by claiming the cards were oem. their reply? ("sorry we sell only & we dont do any refunds. we tested all the cards before shipping out to you & they were all ok. perhaps you want to try asking your customers to format the cards ?")

wahhh...i was so confused & naturally the next right thing i thought was right to do was to think of a way to compensate my poor buyers. attempts & actions on my end made was calling some of the buyers who were reachable & asking them if they had anymore problems with their cards.

at the same time, while all this was going on, i had already began my 2nd MO selling the original adata cf cards, which i got in touch directly with adata taiwan manufacturing office, spoke directly with adata export sales manager & wanted to verify originality of their cards. they supported me with sufficient answers that i was convinced they were real makers of the cards, also by verifying their company official adata website.

from there, i had posted all details of the 2 adata cards i am marketing by gaining direct info & pictures of the cards direct from manufacturer. but to play safe, i wanted these cards to be tested first which was why invitation to potential buyers was opened to test the cards & post open field reports in the forum.

with the new samples coming in, since this is the original adata cards, i offered some form of mutually agreed compensation with affected buyers who approached me. from what i can afford personally, i refunded quite a few of the affected buyers from my own pocket.

however, as i cant afford to offer refund for those who were affected, my other alternative was to offer them to get the new ones, exchange for the old ones & just top up the difference. in this manner, they still get their CF cards which they set out to buy in the first place, & as for myself, i had to be on the losing end, forking out $$ too for purchasing the 2nd group of cards from adata for a new MO. in fact for those affected, you only pay about 20% of cost, where i fork out the rest. trust me, i am paying for the loss in this manner too bros.

sincerely from the bottom of my heart, i didnt intend to cheat anyone out of this 1st MO. i felt cheated too & theres no way of turning the clock to avoid it. now that it has gone to this stage, i hope my apology to everyone or anyone who felt they were cheated / shortchanged or mislead, please accept my sincere apology.

during the course of reading posts with different undesirable attacking remarks towards me just didn't help the matter & in some ways i felt that no one understood the whole situation before directing all arrows towards me. that sparked me to defend myself & unintentionally fired back remarks to those who condemned me baselessly.

however, again, i am really sorry if my words kinda offended you guys if at all it did. i hope my efforts in compensating or offering the affected buyers has somehow calmed down the storm. again, i am so sorry for what happened & i didn't plan for any of these to happen, in the first place, its just my bad luck.

thanks for sparing time to read csers...
    I think you are also trying your best to do some form of damage control.

However, I think this serves as a very important lesson to all potential MO owners: Always do your homework before you conduct a MO. The integrity of your supplier is always of utmost importance.

Sure, it's possible to get a profit margin from the deal (not implying that yours is though), but there are also downside risks to the MO (like this). If the price difference between their asking price and retail is just too much, alarm bells should start going on in one's head. Under such circumstances, it makes even more sense to conduct due diligence.

hi SNAG

truly agree, experience have taught me to be wiser now. wish i can turn back time so as not to offend , upset, disappoint the affected buyers.

at the same time, i feel so sorry for unintentionally & unknowingly violated sandisk rights you know...(since i was given the understanding of their term the card being oem from my unreliable supplier of the 1st MO). diligence & extra efforts are definitely needed before organising any MO for any products, this i really admit, coming from a direct victim of this incident myself.

oh man, i feel like the world 's really closing in on me ....my deepest sincere apologies again to all, moderators & especially sandisk. words cannot explain how aching it feels each time i read negative stuffs about the MO.

sorry, sorry.

Hey bro D60D60, thanks for standing up and shared with us your encounters with the MO order. It takes guts,, but now we do know you are sincere in your dealings. Cheers!
    | www.falconite.com | flickr |
    Canon Equipments

Quote Originally Posted by falconite View Post
    Hey bro D60D60, thanks for standing up and shared with us your encounters with the MO order. It takes guts,, but now we do know you are sincere in your dealings. Cheers!
    bro falconite,

thanks so much for your comments, somehow you have made my saturday a nice start today. have a nice weekend

Just got a Sandisk UltraII SD card with 2GB from Cathay Peninsular.

After putting it into my Casio cam, and tested a few shots, noticed that the number of shots remaining doesn't seems to be as many as expected. So, connect it to my computer and found that there is only 1GB.

Quite puzzled as to why I can get something that could be a fake even from Cathay. Wonder where could I get genuine ones.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 7th April 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: words in italic added
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Are you sure Cathay sells fake goods? Check on your comp again. When you buy 2GB card doesnt mean you'll see 2GB. It should show something like 1.8GB on the disc properties. If Cathay really tries to cheat you, then go spank them really hard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    Just got a Sandisk UltraII SD card with 2GB from Cathay Peninsular.

After putting it into my Casio cam, and tested a few shots, noticed that the number of shots remaining doesn't seems to be as many as expected. So, connect it to my computer and found that there is only 1GB.

Quite puzzled as to why I can get fake even from Cathay. Wonder where could I get genuine ones.
    That's quite a serious accusation on Cathay selling fake stuff. Have you verify that it is fake before posting this? I would suggest that you bring it to Cathay, for all you know it could be a genuine disk that is defective.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Are you sure Cathay sells fake goods? Check on your comp again. When you buy 2GB card doesnt mean you'll see 2GB. It should show something like 1.8GB on the disc properties. If Cathay really tries to cheat you, then go spank them really hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    That's quite a serious accusation on Cathay selling fake stuff. Have you verify that it is fake before posting this? I would suggest that you bring it to Cathay, for all you know it could be a genuine disk that is defective.
    Well, I have checked - it is 968MB according to the removable disk properties.

there is a BiG diff between 968MB which is practically 1GB and 1.9xx GB.

Anyway, before buying, I have done some homework first. The box has got all the stickers in it including that of the local agent. If I have the time, I will take a picture of the box for all to see this evening.

I certainly hope that Cathay is reliable and lives up to it's name. I genuinely hope that this is a defective card and not a fake and go back to have an exchange to get a perfect card from them. Lucky me I still have got the receipt with me.

If not Cathay, I don't know which shop could be as reliable to get genuine card. I should have bought my cards earlier so that I have time to test them thoroughly before my trip to US end of this month.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 7th April 2008 at 03:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, I have checked - it is 968MB according to the removal disk properties.

there is a BiG diff between 968MB which is practically 1GB and 1.9xx GB.

Anyway, before buying, I have done some homework first. The box has got all the stickers in it including that of the local agent. If I have the time, I will take a picture of the box for all to see this evening.

I certainly hope that Cathay is reliable and lives up to it's name. I genuinely hope that this is a defective card and not a fake and go back to have an exchange to get a perfect card from them. Lucky me I still have got the receipt with me.

If not Cathay, I don't know which shop could be as reliable to get genuine card. I should have bought my cards earlier so that I have time to test them thoroughly before my trip to US end of this month.
    I understand your sentiment. But in all fairness, it doesn't look right to accuse a large retail shop of selling fake without verification with the local agent or shop. I would suggest that you verify with local agent or Cathay and update your posting here.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 7th April 2008 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    I understand your sentiment. But in all fairness, it doesn't look right to accuse a large retail shop of selling fake without verification with the local agent or shop. I would suggest that you verify with local agent or Cathay and update your posting here.
    In all fairness, I have edited my earlier post so as not to accuse Cathay.

Well, if I could make it, I will drop by Cathay tomorrow with the card and box and receipt to see what they have got to say. And I will certainly update the posting here.

BTW, my Casio QV-R41 camera is like 3-4years old with a 4Mp sensor. Dunno if it can support the 2GB card or not. Or it could only support up to 1GB.

Just checked, using my card reader - confirm there is only 1GB in the 2GB card. One possibility is that they labelled it wrongly.

So, tomorrow, got to pay either Cathay or Vector Magnetics a visit liao. I will update on what happened.

Just checked, using my card reader - confirm there is only 1GB in the 2GB card. One possibility is that they labelled it wrongly.

So, tomorrow, got to pay either Cathay or Vector Magnetics a visit liao. I will update on what happened.
    Don't mind take a pic of the card and package box 1st?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast