Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: public spirited pple....

Deregistered

Originally posted by Larry
    hey i was trying to protect his future, not destroy it...
    errr..... trying standing around him?

zekai, neuro,

thanx for ur reply.

i feel genuine concern does/should not start with harsh or aggresive actions or speech. of course some pple never learn if u talk to them nicely, of cos the contrary is true too, but that's beside the point. the point is that u want to inform them it's wrong; it is still up to them to change. a harsh method, especially from a stranger, IMO, still does not do anything. if you're the parent/relative of the child/teenager, or even their teacher/mentor, then it's a different story. i mean, what right do u have to reprimand a child that is a total stranger? just becos u're civic-minded and an adult? sorree, that's not enuff for me.

there is also something to the claim of just being polite. especially in public. and our children and youth deserve that too, and more so if they are able to learn not only that smoking (as an example) is bad, but also that manners is important.

Originally posted by Koh Li Kuan
    A couple of years ago I was at Bra Brasha shopping complex doing some shopping. I saw a teenager lighting his cigarette and threw the used cigarette pack on the floor. He did this despite the crowd around him and a dustbin just a few metres away from him. I went straight to him told him off, asked him to pick it up and throw it into a dustbin...he became a bit embarrass and did so...
    did the same thing to a chinese national while jogging the other day...

me....brave or not??? i m a lady u know...
    You watch too much of that korean movie, My Sassy Girl already

Thumbs up

Last month I saw 2 very young (pri sch) malay boys smoking along the Esplanade bridge walkways. The boys gave me the "see what see" look. I could have haul them to the police station. I did not cause I way laden with my heavy equipments. Next time I wouldn't let them go so easily.

Thanks to those 2 public spirited man for bringing them to their sch principal etc. It is easiler to educate when they are young then to wait too late.

Kudos to those people and many others.

Wow....Li kuan, Very brave...imho.

mmm...as for those who need money...u know u cant turn to Larry...keke just kidding ..

Elite
    Guests

A mrt cabin filled with more then 3/4 people can evacuate within seconds during a fight. So what do you think?

Originally posted by Pepper
    Last month I saw 2 very young (pri sch) malay boys smoking along the Esplanade bridge walkways. The boys gave me the "see what see" look. I could have haul them to the police station. I did not cause I way laden with my heavy equipments. Next time I wouldn't let them go so easily.

Thanks to those 2 public spirited man for bringing them to their sch principal etc. It is easiler to educate when they are young then to wait too late.

Kudos to those people and many others.
    i agree that it's better to educate them when they are young. but it's the method. if they are seriously rebellious, anything short of locking them up in the room with food and water isn't gonna do anything.

we've all heard stories of how kind-hearted pple have persevered to change a wayward, angry adolescent. u know, mentors, teachers, relatives, even friends of the "accused".

the point i'm making is the "love" that one could feel for a young human being and wanting to change them for the better is different from the "love" we feel for our society and wanting to make it better. that's why i say as a stranger, we cannot show them such personal "love", acting in a way that' purely good for THEM as an individual, rather then for the society at large.

so then i ask, do u really care for the person, or just the society at large? i feel this is paramount in changing them, otherwise they're just "another wayward kid" to you.

Originally posted by jOhO
    zekai, neuro,

thanx for ur reply.

i feel genuine concern does/should not start with harsh or aggresive actions or speech. of course some pple never learn if u talk to them nicely, of cos the contrary is true too, but that's beside the point. the point is that u want to inform them it's wrong; it is still up to them to change. a harsh method, especially from a stranger, IMO, still does not do anything. if you're the parent/relative of the child/teenager, or even their teacher/mentor, then it's a different story. i mean, what right do u have to reprimand a child that is a total stranger? just becos u're civic-minded and an adult? sorree, that's not enuff for me.

there is also something to the claim of just being polite. especially in public. and our children and youth deserve that too, and more so if they are able to learn not only that smoking (as an example) is bad, but also that manners is important.

well, you know.

to each his own.

Originally posted by Koh Li Kuan
    A couple of years ago I was at Bra Brasha shopping complex doing some shopping. I saw a teenager lighting his cigarette and threw the used cigarette pack on the floor. He did this despite the crowd around him and a dustbin just a few metres away from him. I went straight to him told him off, asked him to pick it up and throw it into a dustbin...he became a bit embarrass and did so...
    did the same thing to a chinese national while jogging the other day...

me....brave or not??? i m a lady u know...
    yeah babe yeah! BRAVE BRAVE BRAVE
    btw, it is Bras Basah

with the SARS and all,
    most likely that boy will be beaten up... like what happened in CHINA when a guy spitted in PUBLIC!!

but knowing Singaporeans, most likely we'll all jus stand further from that guy in the vain hope of not catching his viruses and germs...
    hahaha

Originally posted by sadness
    yeah babe yeah! BRAVE BRAVE BRAVE
    btw, it is Bras Basah

with the SARS and all,
    most likely that boy will be beaten up... like what happened in CHINA when a guy spitted in PUBLIC!!

but knowing Singaporeans, most likely we'll all jus stand further from that guy in the vain hope of not catching his viruses and germs...
    hahaha
    Thanks for the correction... Only realised an hour ago...

Incident 1, was at wdl civic plaza paying some bills when i saw this stern looking man walked in reprimanding 2 sch kids.....pri 6 i heard from what transpired between them....

This man actually caught this 2 kids smoking at the bus stop in their uniforms and was going to bring them to their sch principal...
    They were near tears n kinda poor ting but this person was firm...And he sounded very determined to make it known to their princial even aft all the pleading....

Incident 2, happened today ard 6+ @ suntec city....the toliet entrance near courts, when a casucian man caught a boy in his very early teens, holding a cigarette. He made him stand at a corner while he called for security....
    there is a difference between being a nosy-parker and being public spirited

i saw this lady being molested.....and no one helped
    if someone had stepped in to help, the lady would def have benefitted.
    but how would the 2 boys benefit if their principal got wind of their smoking?
    And he sounded very determined to make it known to their principal even aft all the pleading
    i have seen pupils being expelled from their school or given demerit points for smoking when donning their school uniforms.
    do u really think that prinicpals and teachers nowadays were like the olden days? many (unamployed grads) are in it for the money. and the only thing they (principals)concern themselves with is the image of their school, the ranking, etc etc.

if that man had been sincerely concerned, he wouldn't have opted for the easiest way out -> to turn them over to their principal for discipline.

so public spirited? i don't think so.
    Last edited by wildhoney; 14th June 2003 at 11:13 AM.

Originally posted by wildhoney
    there is a difference between being a nosy-parker and being public spirited

if someone had stepped in to help, the lady would def have benefitted.
    but how would the 2 boys benefit if their principal got wind of their smoking?

i have seen pupils being expelled from their school or given demerit points for smoking when donning their school uniforms.
    do u really think that prinicpals and teachers nowadays were like the olden days? many (unamployed grads) are in it for the money. and the only thing they (principals)concern themselves with is the image of their school, the ranking, etc etc.

if that man had been sincerely concerned, he wouldn't have opted for the easiest way out -> to turn them over to their principal for discipline.

so public spirited? i don't think so.
    do not be too quick to judge the effectiveness of the principals and teachers.

your statement is unfair.

not all teacher all jaded and uncaring.

FYI I own a lot of my success to teachers guidance.

My teachers are still teaching and I have the upmost respect for them. There may be exception but yours was a pretty sweeping remark.
    Last edited by zekai; 14th June 2003 at 07:24 PM.

wildhoney:

They could have benefitted from the "nosy-parker" who told on them as the principal, being the head of the school where most students spend 50% or more of their time in could be in a better position to monitor, advise, punish and educate them....morally n academically.

edited: im not sure schs still send their students whom they caught smoking to the cessation clinics anymore but that was the practise in the past for my sch.....so i think it helps

Seriously, i seen alot of my sch mates, the typical bengs to the just naughty ones...got helped by my previous sch principal...

There was these boy who glue sniffed in the middle of the lesson....hmm i wonder the teacher who stopped him was doing a right thing? He was send to the Drug Rehalibation (spell check) Centre (DRC) to quit his addiction...was he being treated too harsh? i dun think so....

Besides as u mentioned, students are being given demerit pts for a reason....esp the more rebellious ones...

Y for that matter do u think singaporeans are spitting n littering less ? U think most of them really think its unhealthy..? Im not saying they dun care but some just dun do it cos of the fine .....

theres no perfect solution for such problems...but there must be a standard or way to handle these pple.

As for being harsh or not, i think since the consequences are pretty much spelt out...whether the offender gets lucky with whoever caught him is another matter.....

Bt of cos, u are entitled to ur own opinions...

Default Re: public spirited pple....

Originally posted by Revo
    Are u a public spirited person?

Boy, was i in for quite a shock when i saw 2 seperate incidents recently.....

Incident 1, was at wdl civic plaza paying some bills when i saw this stern looking man walked in reprimanding 2 sch kids.....pri 6 i heard from what transpired between them....

This man actually caught this 2 kids smoking at the bus stop in their uniforms and was going to bring them to their sch principal...
    They were near tears n kinda poor ting but this person was firm...And he sounded very determined to make it known to their princial even aft all the pleading....

Incident 2, happened today ard 6+ @ suntec city....the toliet entrance near courts, when a casucian man caught a boy in his very early teens, holding a cigarette. He made him stand at a corner while he called for security....

Pretty shock......was a world a difference years back when i saw this lady being molested.....and no one helped. (yes, i was one of those pple who din......cause i was pretty young n scare at that time. Regretted for not helping.)
    I would do the same because kids should not be smoking. In those other situations, I will do what I can or what I've been trained to
    Last edited by cyrilng; 14th June 2003 at 11:43 PM.

smoking in school uniform is wrong and so is smoking under 16 in public and should be punished.

If we do not turn them over to prinicipals or police, do you think they will change?

It's like if you see petty crimes like scratching tables, vandalising walls...etc, reporting them to the police early, will curb more serious crimes committed if they come bolder in future.

Most of the serious crimes offenders like shoplifting, lift robbery, glue sniffing...etc started with petty crimes like skipping classes, being rude to teachers and bullying.

When they think they can get away with it, they will move on to more serious crimes to show off to their peers.

Originally posted by zekai
    do not be too quick to judge the effectiveness of the principals and teachers.

your statement is unfair.

not all teacher all jaded and uncaring.

FYI I own a lot of my success to teachers guidance.

My teachers are still teaching and I have the upmost respect for them. There may be exception but yours was a pretty sweeping remark.
    I agree with zekai.

I went back to school a few years back, cos I was working as a TA there. (for those who don't know, TA is Technology Assistant)

It's like the IT guy of the school handling the computers and stuff when they break down.

I found that the schooling system is not the same as the time I was in primary school.

The prinicipals and teachers held regular meetings (which I stood in) and handled student's problems much better.

some even attended consuling sessions to learn how to handle kids from broken families (like divorced family...)

Not all newbie teachers are bad, there are teachers who choose the profession to do something in return for the education system they was brought up in.

Besides, the last point is, what made you think any one would be a teacher for the money? Do you know how much a trainee teacher is paid? (It's very very low).
    The stress that they have to put up with, kids failing and parents pressure, and all the "OT" they have to do like planning next semester's work...etc (no ot pay, mine you)

Working in a school, not as a student but with the teachers, made me understand what my teachers probably went though when I was a student myself.
    Used to think all teachers Got 2 months long break each year (June and Dec) and thought "whoa good life man"
    But it's not true.

Originally posted by Winston
    smoking in school uniform is wrong and so is smoking under 16 in public and should be punished.

If we do not turn them over to prinicipals or police, do you think they will change?

It's like if you see petty crimes like scratching tables, vandalising walls...etc, reporting them to the police early, will curb more serious crimes committed if they come bolder in future.

Most of the serious crimes offenders like shoplifting, lift robbery, glue sniffing...etc started with petty crimes like skipping classes, being rude to teachers and bullying.

When they think they can get away with it, they will move on to more serious crimes to show off to their peers.
    Actually I think it's under 18.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12