Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 69101112131621 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VII: Moscow Dream is ALIVE!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VII: Moscow Dream is ALIVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy81 View Post
    I thought man utd actually looked more dangerous when anderson was on the field bt once he was withdrawn man utd`s midfield looked like they couldn`t cope with chelsea anymore
    That is the problem with Fergie...I also scratch my head

SAF made some very weird decisions today! He is taking a massive risk by resting the players. KNN! Seems like he fielded a 'League Cup' 11 today. Its like he is inviting Chelsea to have a go. Its lucky its only a 2-1 defeat, really disappointing and blaffling!

For me, Carrick should not play. He hasn't been playing well these few matches, esp against Boro. He need a wake up call.

The upcoming Barcelona game really distracting Fergie a lot.

Blog Entries

i dun tink carrick will play against barcelona, he`s seems to 'disappear' during a match oni to pop up for a while b4 disappearing again, hopefully anderson and hargreaves will play in place of scholes n carrick, but wat about rooney? He seems to have injured himself during the chelsea game hope he`s able to play against barcelona. But who do u tink will play on the wing? Nani or giggs? Nani didn`t play very well against chelsea in my opinion...

Nani is more threatening compared to Giggs, although his decision making still need lots of improvement. But I got a feeling that SAF will play Giggs. I think he will bring back Scholes also

Hargreaves is more effective playing in midfield than in right back. Anderson and Hargreaves should be a good combination. And I think Ronaldo is more effective playing in midfield than as a striker.

I hope ManU will be playing in their normal attacking style like what SAF has promised. But i got a feeling that its going to be defensive tatics again as it will be too risky to concede the goal at home.

And please kill the game in normal time. Penalty is always 50-50 chance and it will drains out the energy of the players.. Don't forget we still have 2 very important games coming up..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    Nani is more threatening compared to Giggs, although his decision making still need lots of improvement. But I got a feeling that SAF will play Giggs. I think he will bring back Scholes also

Hargreaves is more effective playing in midfield than in right back. Anderson and Hargreaves should be a good combination. And I think Ronaldo is more effective playing in midfield than as a striker.

I hope ManU will be playing in their normal attacking style like what SAF has promised. But i got a feeling that its going to be defensive tatics again as it will be too risky to concede the goal at home.

And please kill the game in normal time. Penalty is always 50-50 chance and it will drains out the energy of the players.. Don't forget we still have 2 very important games coming up..
    I tink scholes and giggs will play bt surely at some part of the game he will bring on anderson and nani, tevez was rested against chelsea so he shld be playing as well so we could be looking at rooney (if he`s fit to play), tevez, ronaldo, scholes, giggs,hargreaves(or carrick), evra, ferdinand, wes brown,pique and van der sar for the starting 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy81 View Post
    I tink scholes and giggs will play bt surely at some part of the game he will bring on anderson and nani, tevez was rested against chelsea so he shld be playing as well so we could be looking at rooney (if he`s fit to play), tevez, ronaldo, scholes, giggs,hargreaves(or carrick), evra, ferdinand, wes brown,pique and van der sar for the starting 11.
    I am not sure if I really want to see anderson and nani comes on as substitute.. they are both attacking players and if they come in, it could be due to we are chasing the game
    If ManU are leading, SAF will probably throw in some defensive player.. (eg. O'Shea, like wat he did yesterday which apparently doesn't work too well)
    If both giggs and scholes are starting, I think its going to be a very careful and slow attacking for ManU.

Scholes and Giggs can't be in the same team these days. They are old and often got overpowered and lose the ball easily. But Man Utd still need Scholes' attacking threat/passes. I think Anderson must play, he can control the midfield. Giggs rest and Nani to take over him.

Rooney looks like he got some strain or injury. But still got Tevez and he should be supported by Ronaldo/Nani on the flanks and Scholes/Hargreaves and Anderson in midfield.

The only sodding consolation we have now is that the title race is still in OUR hands!!! Please boys, don't **** it up!!

haiz

i see until wanan puke oredi....didn't i oredi say.....there are certain players that NEEDS to be fielded in their positions!

C'mon SAF, WTF he doing?!?!?!?

y is hargreaves playing right back?!?!?!?!?! GAWD.....even though he's not bad at it....he's obviously not comfortable in that position!

For the sake of the titles (BOTH EPL and CL)

hargreaves better play in his controlling midfield role.

and seriously, 4-4-2 will be much better agst barca

i'm sure we've to contain the 2 strikers...even if they pack their midfield to 5s....4-4-2 will still have opportunity to get thru..

so Defenders:-

LB Evra
    LC Vidic
    RC Rio
    RB Pique/brown (even though i prefer pique to brown)

LM Nani
    LC Anderson
    RC Owen Hargreaves (both anderson and owen can swap if they like)
    RM Ronaldo

F1 Rooney
    F2 Tevez

should really not give quarter anymore!

Subs:-
    Oshea
    brown
    fletcher

Only problem with above config is that nani tends to wanna impress.....which is a problem..... should really learn to play as a team. I still think scholes can contribute..he may not be fast enuf nowadays, but his passing is still as vital. JUST MAKE SURE HE"S IN FORM!

HAIZ....dulan

Injured duo OK for Tuesday?

Nemanja Vidic and Wayne Rooney were both in the wars again this weekend, as United lost the battle at Stamford Bridge.

Serbian centre-back Vidic, who missed the midweek match in Barcelona, saw just eight minutes of action against Chelsea. The defender came off worse in a duel with Didier Drogba and was treated by physio Rob Swire before leaving the field on a stretcher.

“He (Vidic) got kneed in the face by Drogba - and no foul was given," Sir Alex told MUTV.

"He’s got a few stitches under his lip and he’s lost a tooth. He was dazed rather than concussed but if we’d waited for him to come round we would have played 10 or 15 minutes (with ten men) and you can’t afford that in such a big game. So we took him off."

Owen Hargreaves came on at right-back and Wes Brown replaced Vidic as Rio Ferdinand's partner in the centre. The reorganised rearguard kept Chelsea at bay until Michael Ballack scored in first-half injury time - and for a similar duration in the second period until the same opponent netted his controversial penalty.

Rooney was withdrawn in the second half, moments after scoring United's equaliser.

“Wayne got the same knock as he got last week, straight on the hip bone," said Sir Alex.

"It takes a while for that to clear because when you get a bang on it, it’s very painful. I’m hopeful he will be alright for Tuesday's match against Barcelona.

"Other than that, I think everyone’s okay."

Ronaldo retains PFA award

Cristiano Ronaldo received a timely tonic on Sunday evening when he was confirmed as PFA Player of the Year for the second successive season.

After a week in which he missed a penalty in Barcelona and suffered defeat at Chelsea, the award reminds us how rare these occasional lows are in Cristiano's high-flying career.

Ronaldo's fellow professionals voted him the top performer in English football, ahead of Liverpool duo Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard, Arsenal pair Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor and Portsmouth goalkeeper David James. All six were shortlisted for the award but few people gave the other five a prayer of pipping the Portuguese ace.

Cristiano was again nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year - which he also won in 2007 - but this time the gong went to Fabregas of Arsenal. The awards were presented at London's Grosvenor House Hotel but Ronaldo did not attend, given the Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona is just two days away.

In a pre-recorded acceptance speech, Ronaldo said:

"I feel very happy. When you work all season to do something for the team, and then at the end the PFA give you this award, it is a great moment.

"It is an honour, a pleasure and a great motivation to carry on, to work more and get better.

"This is a good moment for me but it is not just my award, my team-mates have helped me a lot this season. They give me good passes to score goals - and I score.''

Cristiano's remarkable tally of 38 goals so far this season include his first hat-trick for United - against Newcastle in January - and a run of eight strikes in seven consecutive games from 15 March to 13 April. The winger has also set up numerous goals for his team-mates as the Reds close in on a possible Premier League and Champions League double.

Ronaldo is only the second player to win the PFA award in two successive years since its inception in 1974. Ironically, he'll come face to face with the first man to do it on Tuesday when Thierry Henry (2003, 2004, then of Arsenal) lines up for Barcelona.

Cristiano wasn't the only Red to be heralded at the PFA awards - Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic were also named in the Premier League Team of the Year:

David James (Portsmouth); Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Ferdinand, Vidic, Gael Clichy (Arsenal); Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Aston Villa); Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

Fanzone Poll: If you could sign one player for United from the PFA Team of the Year, who would it be? Cast your vote at www.manutd.com/polls.

Boss troubled by major decisions

Sir Alex Ferguson added three more refereeing decisions to a growing list of gripes in the aftermath of United's 2-1 defeat at Chelsea.

The manager criticised the call to punish Michael Carrick for handball in the 85th minute, given that Michael Essien's cross was destined to be cleared.

"It’s a major decision that’s cost us the game," Sir Alex rued. "To give a penalty for that in a game of such importance, on the linesman’s say-so, is absolutely diabolical.

"Granted the ball hit his (Carrick's) hand but he couldn’t get out of the road. He didn’t lift his hands above his shoulders or above his head, and the ball was going straight to Rio Ferdinand anyway. The referee should have seen that.

"Earlier, when Ronaldo came on, he was grappled almost to the floor by (Michael) Ballack (at a United corner) and it was a clear penalty kick. And when Michael Carrick went down in the same way, the referee was right there but again he didn't give it. The game hinged on major decisions and unfortunately they didn’t go our way."

Sir Alex cited several other examples from recent weeks when calls made by either the referee or his assistants have affected United's quest for domestic success.

"We were knocked out of the FA Cup after not getting a penalty kick," he recalled.

"We should have had a penalty from Mike Riley at Middlesbrough when their player dived and saved the ball. And the linesman we had today, Glenn Turner, flagged Wayne Rooney when he was through and five yards onside.

"This is a good moment for me but it is not just my award, my team-mates have helped me a lot this season. They give me good passes to score goals - and I score.''

Cristiano's remarkable tally of 38 goals so far this season include his first hat-trick for United - against Newcastle in January - and a run of eight strikes in seven consecutive games from 15 March to 13 April. The winger has also set up numerous goals for his team-mates as the Reds close in on a possible Premier League and Champions League double.

Ronaldo is only the second player to win the PFA award in two successive years since its inception in 1974. Ironically, he'll come face to face with the first man to do it on Tuesday when Thierry Henry (2003, 2004, then of Arsenal) lines up for Barcelona.

Cristiano wasn't the only Red to be heralded at the PFA awards - Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic were also named in the Premier League Team of the Year:

David James (Portsmouth); Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Ferdinand, Vidic, Gael Clichy (Arsenal); Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Aston Villa); Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

Fanzone Poll: If you could sign one player for United from the PFA Team of the Year, who would it be? Cast your vote at www.manutd.com/polls.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTech View Post
    The only sodding consolation we have now is that the title race is still in OUR hands!!! Please boys, don't **** it up!!
    Thats is the problem as Fergie also thinks this way and took the Chelsea game for granted. I felt that he should not do that. All Man Utd fans would have felt cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    Only problem with above config is that nani tends to wanna impress.....which is a problem..... should really learn to play as a team. I still think scholes can contribute..he may not be fast enuf nowadays, but his passing is still as vital. JUST MAKE SURE HE"S IN FORM!

HAIZ....dulan
    This Nani is going thru what Ronaldo has gone thru and done in his 1st 2 seasons. 1 man show and showboating. Hope Nani learns faster.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Thats is the problem as Fergie also thinks this way and took the Chelsea game for granted. I felt that he should not do that. All Man Utd fans would have felt cheated.

This Nani is going thru what Ronaldo has gone thru and done in his 1st 2 seasons. 1 man show and showboating. Hope Nani learns faster.

If SAF had played offensively, we COULD have won it and that in turn would have motivated the boys to go and beat Barca and we could have rested all the players for the final in Moscow...... but alas.....

As a man gets older, he tends to get more cautious and defensive.... no more moola to surge forward.

Don't be one of those people that live in the future and fail to realize the opportunities available right now.

Take the opportunity to make a positive change in our life if only we would deal with the present and not worry about what might happen tomorrow.

The best thing you could do, no matter how tough it may seem, is to face them head on and address them.

Instead of focusing on 'more' why not focus on how you can take what you have and make more effective use out of it

Don't live your life always waiting for tomorrow – because in reality, tomorrow never comes.

I think I need to send Fergie (not the singer) for positive thinking courses.

I see a very different Man Utd side in the last 2 games... hopefully I will see Man Utd revert to their attacking style football.... they owe it to their fans!!
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Barca slip to defeat

Barcelona's lingering La Liga title hopes ended on Saturday, when Frank Rijkaard's weakened side slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Deportivo La Coruna.

More pertinently, Barcelona rested a host of players. With Andres Iniesta and Gabriel Milito already absent through suspension, Samuel Eto'o, Lionel Messi and Xavi were rested completely while Deco, Victor Valdes and Eric Abidal were substitutes.

Juan Rodriguez and Pablo Amo scored in the second half for Depor, while Barca's meaningful openings were restricted to a fluffed early chance from Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen and a long-range effort from Bojan Krkic.

The defeat leaves Barcelona 14 points behind Real Madrid, who hammered Atletico Bilbao 3-0 on Sunday, and four points behind second-placed Villarreal.

Barca's attentions now switch to Tuesday's Champions League semi-final decider at Old Trafford, and Rijkaard has made only two changes to his squad for the trip to Manchester.

Carles Puyol returns from suspension at the expense of Rafael Marquez, and Brazilian utility player Edmilson comes into the fold in place of Mexican starlet Giovani Dos Santos.

Barca do have concerns over the fitness of influential midfielder Yaya Toure, who suffered an ankle injury in Saturday's defeat.

Doubts remain over Reds duo

Sir Alex Ferguson will wait until the final moment before deciding whether his injured warriors Wayne Rooney and Nemanja Vidic can face Barcelona.

Both players were substituted during Saturday's defeat at Chelsea and there is concern that Tuesday night will come too soon for the pair as they recover from facial (Vidic) and hip problems (Rooney).

"Obviously for such an important game, we’ve got to give them every chance," said Sir Alex, at Monday's pre-match press conference.

"Nemanja didn’t train yesterday or today, neither did Wayne. It’s a difficult one. We think both could make it but I can’t be dead certain.”

What does seem certain is that Cristiano Ronaldo will return to the starting line-up, fresh from being a sub on Saturday and being crowned PFA Player of the Year on Sunday.

Patrice Evra could also come back in, despite being one booking away from missing the final. Mikael Silvestre performed impressively in Evra's absence at left-back but has only just returned to the fold after a lengthy spell out with injury.

Boss trusts players to deliver

Sir Alex Ferguson has complete faith in his players to produce the goods on the biggest stage against Barcelona on Tuesday night.

The United boss says he is proud to work with a group of players who have demonstrated their character time and again over the course of a thrilling season.

And he has no qualms about the Reds’ ability to cope with the pressure of a Champions League semi-final against the Catalans in front of a fervent and expectant crowd.

“The first thing is I trust these players,” said Sir Alex at Monday’s press conference. “I’m happy for them to represent Manchester United in any shape or form, in any game.

“I think I’m a lucky manager to have such good lads. Character-wise, they’re fantastic. You saw that in the second half against Chelsea when they were absolutely magnificent.

“Silvestre has only had one game in nine months, Fletcher had been out for several weeks. That character is a part of Manchester United. It epitomises the kind of player who needs to play for Manchester United and I’m absolutely proud of the players who’ll be representing me and the club tomorrow night.”

Ferguson believes the Reds are better equipped than at any time since the 1999 Champions League triumph, although he feels luck has sometimes gone against his side in semi-finals.

“I’ve given my side the best possible chance. I think we have a very good team with big-game players who can win matches,” he said.

“If you go back to semi-finals in the past and the times we’ve lost, sometimes we’ve been unlucky – like against Dortmund and Leverkusen. Maybe if we’d been fresher for the semi-final against AC Milan, it would have been different. But we weren’t good enough on the night, Milan were much better prepared than us.

“So there have been mixed fortunes in that respect. Of course, we had that sensational victory against Juventus the year we won it. I think we have a marvellous chance. We’re asking the players to win a game of football.”

United go into Tuesday’s game on the back of 11 straight home wins in Europe, but Ferguson believes that statistic will mean little come kick-off.

“It’s a marvellous record, there’s no disputing that,” he said. “It surpasses any other team in Europe and I’m proud of that. But what’s happened in the last 11 games doesn’t really matter tomorrow night. It’s just a good record, that’s all.

“It doesn’t change the aspect of tomorrow’s game because I think it will be balanced and very open. It will be tactical at times and there will be times when there are explosions of play we expect from our team, and our fans on nights like this can make an impact. I think it will be absolutely fascinating.”

11hrs More to go ......

Odds: Barcelona

Ahead of Tuesday's Champions League semi-final second leg, United are 8/13 to reach the final and 5/6 to secure a trip to Moscow by beating Barcelona in 90 minutes.

The Spanish club are 6/5 to knock out United and 11/4 to do so without extra time. It’s 9/4 for a draw at the end of normal time, with 0-0 – the only result that would force extra time – at 11/2.

The Reds are 18/1 to go through at the end of extra time and Barcelona 22/1 to do likewise. Both teams are 20/1 to prevail on penalties.

Cristiano Ronaldo is 3/1 to open the scoring during normal time and 12/1 to do so with a penalty. It’s 5/1 that the Portuguese forward converts a spot-kick at any time during the 90 minutes.

Wayne Rooney is 4/1 second favourite in the first goalscorer market, ahead of Carlos Tevez at 9/2. Samuel Eto’o heads the Barcelona contingent at 15/2, with Thierry Henry and Lionel Messi both 8/1.

As for the outright betting, United are 13/8 to lift the trophy, with Chelsea 2/1, Barcelona 10/3 and Liverpool 5/1.

It’s 5/4 that Sir Alex’s side will meet Chelsea in the final and 10/3 for a United-Liverpool showdown.

Testimonial tribute for Ole

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Testimonial Committee are delighted to announce they have agreed in principle with Manchester United that a testimonial match for the Norwegian against Spanish side Espanyol will be played at Old Trafford on Saturday 2 August 2008.

The former United striker was forced to retire from the game at the end of the August after a long battle with injuries.

Solskjaer has since joined the Reds' coaching staff and is looking forward to sharing his big day with the Old Trafford faithful.

“I am delighted to be given this game by the club," he told ManUtd.com. "It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans.

"I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day.”

Sir Alex Ferguson gave his backing to the match, adding: “Ole is a loyal servant of Manchester United and I can not think of a more fitting tribute than the club to honour Ole in this way.

"It also gives the fans the opportunity to show their admiration and appreciation for such a well loved player. It will be a fantastic day for everyone."

“Ole is one of Manchester United’s true professionals," continued chief executive David Gill. "We look forward to hosting the first pre-season game at Old Trafford in honour of Ole’s illustrious career.”

Ticket Information will follow shortly. Please keep an eye on ManUtd.com for more information. United will be selling the tickets on behalf of Ole’s Testimonial Committee.

Ticket sales in Norway will be managed through Travel Partner AS. Please contact www.travel-partner.no for more details.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been a long term servant as a Unicef Ambassador and the Committee will employ this opportunity to promote Ole’s Unicef Project Schools of Africa.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 69101112131621 ... LastLast