Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone downgraded from Win Vista baq to Win Xp??

Default Re: Anyone downgraded from Win Vista baq to Win Xp??

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    Is it possible to have a "dual" boot system which I can install both Vista and XP and I choose which OS to boot upon power on?
    sure... that's what I have... just have to install either on seperate harddisks or seperate partitions of the same harddisk...

I removed Vista and installed XP the day I bought my PC.

I have Vista on my laptop, and really, I don't like it very much.

Blog Entries

i also downgraded my dell desktop. really dun like vista.

but increasingly, its harder and harder to downgrade cos of the drivers issue. some of the new laptops' drivers disc is only for vista.

and i really hate the vista-like office 2007 too... *bleah*
    Last edited by nightwolf75; 27th April 2008 at 08:39 AM.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.Ē ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    sure... that's what I have... just have to install either on seperate harddisks or seperate partitions of the same harddisk...
    Yeah....with HDD so cheap, this may be a viable solution for me, so wont have to mug around with multiple partitions. And when everthing is stable, can scrap ths vista disk and use it as external HDD. But not sure how it will affect warranty though?

Quote Originally Posted by happyham View Post
    vista SP1 stable leh. not as bad as i tot on my 2.4 , 2g ram.
    turning off UAC is a must , very irritating.
    widgets useful tho take up some memory.
    not so bad lah!
    Can check if Vista SP1 is part of standard/automatic Windowsupdate program or we must manually go and download from ms website?

My vista is currently "up to date" according to the screen, but I can't seem to find the SP1 there.

Been testing on SP1 for Vista on Vista Biz and Ultimate, so far I've
    not seen a problem at all. But on a system with Vista OS with 2Gb RAM,
    you would normally get about a 70% RAM utilization. So if ya do the
    maths, you know there isn't much to run the applications.
    If you know what to disable you can actually pump up quite a hefty
    amount of speed even running Vista.
    If you wan to run Vista smooth then 3Gb and above is a must.

For the rest if ya wanna Downgrade/upgrade for a better grade
    OS (for now) gona do the following.
    1. If its a new notebook and old build XP CD, best to slipstream
    service pack 2 and the sata drivers for the system
    One can look for nLite for slipstreaming, it's easy to do.
    http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

2. Make sure also to go into BIOS and change the SATA status
    from NATIVE to IDE or ON to OFF. Cause I understand XP doesn't
    recognize it.

If ya want to dual boot the system with Vista and XP
    (never tried cause I'm using VMWare )
    can look here
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...creenshots.htm

Can check if Vista SP1 is part of standard/automatic Windowsupdate program or we must manually go and download from ms website?

My vista is currently "up to date" according to the screen, but I can't seem to find the SP1 there.
    Your system will show whether it's SP1 or not from by
    1. Click WindowLogo Button aka StartButton
    2. Right Click "Computer" and select "Properties"
    you will see a window pop up indicating
    your windows version and with you have SP1 it's on the third line from
    there saying "Service Pack 1"

else download it here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Hi woojacky,

Thanks for the great info above!

BTW, what is slipstreaming? Sorry, been out of touch with these things for a while.

bought a new thinkpad. came with vista. i still had my older thinkpad (half the ram, half processing capability). but the older thinkpad was still quicker!

i tried it for 3 days, gave up and wet back to XP. had some software glitches, it kept shutting down my antivirus. and it was slooooooow. ill prob stick with XP till its no longer supported. dun see why we have to pay for bloated crappy software.

for work/ surfing etc, dun really see the need to get xp. ill only get vista on home desktop if games i play actually require it.

Hi woojacky,

Thanks for the great info above!

BTW, what is slipstreaming? Sorry, been out of touch with these things for a while.
    erm think of it like adding additional drivers/patches/service packs/other tweaks for the base installation CD. For example my Original XP PRO was at SP1. so i slipstream it with SP2 and sata drivers for my notebook and installed the OS from the new CD. no need to wait for the updates thereafter its cleaner and besides you can do an unattended installation if you know what to key in. The guide for the software is pretty easy to read so no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    bought a new thinkpad. came with vista. i still had my older thinkpad (half the ram, half processing capability). but the older thinkpad was still quicker!

i tried it for 3 days, gave up and wet back to XP. had some software glitches, it kept shutting down my antivirus. and it was slooooooow. ill prob stick with XP till its no longer supported. dun see why we have to pay for bloated crappy software.

for work/ surfing etc, dun really see the need to get xp. ill only get vista on home desktop if games i play actually require it.
    if its just surfing and doodling around on the internet try
    Ubuntu 7.0.4 / OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE 11 coming out in less than 2 months
    heard it to be pretty powderful.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post

I am in the same situation. Got the T61 in Dec last year with vista business. Been cursing and swearing since. It has 3GB of RAM and 2.20 GHz Centrino Duo, almost top end at that time, but it run slower (opening webpage, word doc, excel spreadsheet, etc) then my 3 year old office PC with 1/6 the memory and half the processor speed.

Please let me know your experience of your new TP with XP. Any issues with the drivers, etc? Did you get any assistance from Lenovo for this procedure?

I am in the same situation. Got the T61 in Dec last year with vista business. Been cursing and swearing since. It has 3GB of RAM and 2.20 GHz Centrino Duo, almost top end at that time, but it run slower (opening webpage, word doc, excel spreadsheet, etc) then my 3 year old office PC with 1/6 the memory and half the processor speed.

Please let me know your experience of your new TP with XP. Any issues with the drivers, etc? Did you get any assistance from Lenovo for this procedure?

Be careful of getting IBM / Lenovo support when you did your own "downgrade"
    they can slap you on the phone with the "Sorry we don't support that especially
    when customer downgraded the system's OS blah blah blah"
    Never like IBM products hardware and software

Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Be careful of getting IBM / Lenovo support when you did your own "downgrade"
    they can slap you on the phone with the "Sorry we don't support that especially
    when customer downgraded the system's OS blah blah blah"
    Never like IBM products hardware and software

I don't believe SP1 would pop up in the auto Windows Update thingy as yet... as for the large amount of RAM Vista is said to use, the official explaination is that Vista loads up commonly used files in anticipation of the files being used so as to boost speeds... and this requires the OS to learn the usage patterns for some time before the OS can boost speeds and in the mean time may slow down the computer...

as well, some slowdown might be due to the OS logging down files in its search function for faster searches... this can be switched off so it does not use up processor time...

as well, try uninstalling useless programs that the manufacturers stuff into your laptop...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I don't believe SP1 would pop up in the auto Windows Update thingy as yet... as for the large amount of RAM Vista is said to use, the official explaination is that Vista loads up commonly used files in anticipation of the files being used so as to boost speeds... and this requires the OS to learn the usage patterns for some time before the OS can boost speeds and in the mean time may slow down the computer...

as well, some slowdown might be due to the OS logging down files in its search function for faster searches... this can be switched off so it does not use up processor time...

as well, try uninstalling useless programs that the manufacturers stuff into your laptop...

If a new system without user files / application boots up, the system will still
    be slow as the number of services running behind vista is quite scary as compared
    to XP. Besides no one should take their official explanation face valued.
    It's all their PR only.

Another glitch I found is when using the slideshow feature in Vista, it automatically blurs your photos when "fade" transition is selected . It is ok when "classic" is selected. Entering and exiting the slideshow lags as well.

It is like back to my using PII computer with Win98 when navigating folders was first done in Internet Explorer format. Slow.

Quote Originally Posted by raymond350 View Post
    It is like back to my using PII computer with Win98 when navigating folders was first done in Internet Explorer format. Slow.
    Interesting way of looking at.

Looks like vista is becoming a product that besides Microsoft themselves, nobody else in the world wants.

Installing XP now. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Ansel; 5th May 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Hi,
    Can anyone share how to partition the harddisk and load XP so that i can choose to startup with XP instead? My notebookcomes with Vista biz loaded, used for a few months already, still can partition and load? Thx....

Interesting way of looking at.

Looks like vista is becoming a product that besides Microsoft themselves, nobody else in the world wants.

Installing XP now. Just keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Been testing on SP1 for Vista on Vista Biz and Ultimate, so far I've
    not seen a problem at all. But on a system with Vista OS with 2Gb RAM,
    you would normally get about a 70% RAM utilization. So if ya do the
    maths, you know there isn't much to run the applications.
    If you know what to disable you can actually pump up quite a hefty
    amount of speed even running Vista.
    If you wan to run Vista smooth then 3Gb and above is a must.

For the rest if ya wanna Downgrade/upgrade for a better grade
    OS (for now) gona do the following.
    1. If its a new notebook and old build XP CD, best to slipstream
    service pack 2 and the sata drivers for the system
    One can look for nLite for slipstreaming, it's easy to do.
    http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

2. Make sure also to go into BIOS and change the SATA status
    from NATIVE to IDE or ON to OFF. Cause I understand XP doesn't
    recognize it.

If ya want to dual boot the system with Vista and XP
    (never tried cause I'm using VMWare )
    can look here
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...creenshots.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by cnng121 View Post
    Hi,
    Can anyone share how to partition the harddisk and load XP so that i can choose to startup with XP instead? My notebookcomes with Vista biz loaded, used for a few months already, still can partition and load? Thx....
    Got the URL above liaoz. Its pretty simple.
    Step by Step just require a bit of reading

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast