Thread: Which Laptop? Dell experience?

Default Which Laptop? Dell experience?

Hi ,
    Looking to upgrade my Sony Laptop. Giving me lots of problems...shuts down even on AC power. But when send in to repair centre, they came back twice saying nothing wrong. Taken battery out still same thing.

Now switch to my portable UX 80 but the processor damn weak. can't do any photo editing. Open itunes also take long time.

My budget is between S$1,500 to S$2,000 and hope to get a decent one which can do some photo editing without freezing the system.
    Saw Dell which is value for money but not too sure since I have heard many complaints from people. (my frd's HDD crashed 1mth after he bot).

Weight is not a problem since it will not be moved often.

Thanks

Default Re: Which Laptop? Dell experience?

I'm a Dell Latitude Fan.. I've used D410, D600 and D610. I can say it can take some abuse. I also like the support because it comes to your house for service.

Perhaps you like to look at HP Pavillion DV6746TX Notebook $1,500AUD with $100 cash back offer.

I just bought one a month ago. Very happy with it although my wife uses it more often than me.

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz

RAM: 2GB

Hard Drive: 160GB

Screen: 15.4" Widescreen LCD

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8400M GD with 256MB Dedicated Video Memory

Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD Burner

Communications: Intel Pro Wireless 802.00a/b/g, Bluetooth, 10/100 Lan

Ports/Slots: 3xUSB 2.0, 1x Firewire, 5-in-1 Card Reader, S-Video & ExpressCard 54 Slot.

Bundled Software: Norton Internet Security (60 Day Trial), HP Photosmart Premier

Battery: 6-Cell Lithium Ion

Quote Originally Posted by happyham View Post
    Hi ,
    Looking to upgrade my Sony Laptop. Giving me lots of problems...shuts down even on AC power. But when send in to repair centre, they came back twice saying nothing wrong. Taken battery out still same thing.

Now switch to my portable UX 80 but the processor damn weak. can't do any photo editing. Open itunes also take long time.

My budget is between S$1,500 to S$2,000 and hope to get a decent one which can do some photo editing without freezing the system.
    Saw Dell which is value for money but not too sure since I have heard many complaints from people. (my frd's HDD crashed 1mth after he bot).

Weight is not a problem since it will not be moved often.

Thanks
    Is all Sony laptop that bad, or is it just your particular one? Service centre cannot do anything about it....perhaps can get an exchange.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

sony laptop tends to have alot of problems... i have several sony vaios users in the office and they keep giving us trouble.. dun even mention about servicing it after the 1 yr warranty ends..

I like the quality of the Toshiba, NEC and Fujitsu (Japan-made Litebook)
    always the Light, .... always.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1420 some months back. Very happy with it.

The after sales support from Dell is very good. They even have a real time chat support. I used that when I had some software problem and they helped me solve it in a few minutes. Even the pre-sales was very good. A nice lady from Penang attended to me when I was ordering - toll free call some more.

One major reason I chose Dell is that I can customise the laptop to my requirements. I can choose stuff like HDD size. RAM size, processor, warranty/support, etc. Quite flexible. What it means is that I pay for what I want - I don't pay for components that I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    I'm a Dell Latitude Fan.. I've used D410, D600 and D610. I can say it can take some abuse. I also like the support because it comes to your house for service.
    You are using the business model which tends to be more robust as the form factor doesn't change as often as the consumer models such as Inspiron or XPS. However, I must say from my own experience, Dell Singapore's service is very good (it is outsourced) and the on-site service is a lot better than other brand's carry-in.

If you go for the complete cover, they ever cover repairs such as crack screen due to accidental drop, etc... No other brand can provide similar coverage (as least I am not aware of).

when ppl complaint abt dell, its always they heard from others, u ask those who tell u dell sucks have they bought one b4?
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    when ppl complaint abt dell, its always they heard from others, u ask those who tell u dell sucks have they bought one b4?
    I am using Dell pc on my desk and i bought another one for my home ... all due to the super service of the tele salesgirl
    Never like the service of the technical supports but have deal with so many others, ALL (any other brands) supports are equally BAD.
    The quality wise .... i think it's quite ok, no complaints.
    Price wise .... reasonably competitive.

I say, go ahead and buy DELL!
    always the Light, .... always.

I bot a Dell XP notebook 2 months back. I have had a good deal and happy with it

Go to the Dell centre at Funan and ask go thru the spec with the sales rep. within 4 working days u will be able to get delivered to ya door step

Bought my Lenovo at SITEX 06 and still going strong. the only problem i have is that they put in a lot of trialwares in the hd.

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    You are using the business model which tends to be more robust as the form factor doesn't change as often as the consumer models such as Inspiron or XPS. However, I must say from my own experience, Dell Singapore's service is very good (it is outsourced) and the on-site service is a lot better than other brand's carry-in.

If you go for the complete cover, they ever cover repairs such as crack screen due to accidental drop, etc... No other brand can provide similar coverage (as least I am not aware of).
    IIRC, complete cover guard will replace your notebook FOC if due to theft through forcefully entry. Don't think any other brand offer such coverage.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Over the years I have used 6 Dell desktops, 1 Dell laptop, 1 Acer laptop, 3 desktops assembled by local companies.

Buy Dell. One low end model had a motherboard problem. They came to my place to repair, still cannot, replaced entire unit and threw in a nice freebie for the delay. The rest worked very well from Day One. No problems at all.

Just want to share my experience.. i used several laptops, mainly Acer and Dell.

Recently, i must be really down on my luck, during the busy working period, my main DELL XPS M1210, died on me. Call them up and told them about the problem (video ram/card spoil = no image). They came down after abt 3 days and changed it FOC. So i think it's quite ok as they changed the LCD screen as well as the RAM, only bad thing is they dont have spare and need to wait for 3 days. (Guess must be the JIT technology crap.)

For Acer, usually you bring in the laptop, which i unfortunately have to do the next day after my DELL died.. Yup, my back up laptop which i only use rarely (like 2 mths over the pass 2 years) is down. It has a constant beeping sound when starting up. In the past, they usually repair on the spot if they can, if not they keep with them and call me on the repair to be performed and ask for approval (if need to pay). Got a call about 1 week later telling me that the ram slot is faulty, and cannot be fixed as it's affixed on the motherboard. So basically i need to go down and collect the "corpse".

In a nutshell, DELL would be my preferred choice. Unlike desktop, laptop usually have shorter lifespan and more prone to problem i feel. Hence, free replacement is always good. Pricing wise they are quite competitive, you can get some discount buying online or through vendor.

Please do not blame the manucfacturer on HDD failure because obviously DELL do not manufacture their own HDD.

HDD can fail even on the first day. Depends really on your luck.

For the record, I have been using DELL notebooks and desktops since 2001.

HDD failure : 0
    Hardware Failure : 0

If your budget is $2,000, there are many other brands which are quite well built.......and I must say brands such as ASUS makes good lappys too.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/price...ide.php?id=107
    Last edited by Godzilla Invades; 31st March 2008 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    yup 2 ex-colleagues who bot desktops

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Is all Sony laptop that bad, or is it just your particular one? Service centre cannot do anything about it....perhaps can get an exchange.
    Past 1 year, so cannot exchange.
    In the end now using my other sony UX 80, the small handheld one.
    Even the UX battery has died twice. Second time beyond 1yr so no replacement. I asked about the cost of the battery, one sony gallery said only sell extended batt which costs almost $600!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Please do not blame the manucfacturer on HDD failure because obviously DELL do not manufacture their own HDD.

HDD can fail even on the first day. Depends really on your luck.

For the record, I have been using DELL notebooks and desktops since 2001.

HDD failure : 0
    Hardware Failure : 0

If your budget is $2,000, there are many other brands which are quite well built.......and I must say brands such as ASUS makes good lappys too.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/price...ide.php?id=107

wifey uses the asus. no probs so far but i find it a little pricey.

looking for other alternatives first.

from all the replies , it looks as if DELL may have a new customer soon---ME!!!

thanks for all the feedback, great job guys.