Thread: RAW Convertors for DSLR pics

Talking RAW Convertors for DSLR pics

Just wondering if anybody has had experience with RAW convertors?

1. Do you use the program bundled with your DSLR? Actually asking specifically for my Canon 10D which I recently purchased...

2. Learning process: where does one learn how to use such programs!!!

3. comments on the plus and minuses of your valued experience with the specific programs for your DSLR pics.

My curious 2.3 cents,

Default Re: RAW Convertors for DSLR pics

Originally posted by tagclieg2
    Just wondering if anybody has had experience with RAW convertors?

1. Do you use the program bundled with your DSLR? Actually asking specifically for my Canon 10D which I recently purchased...

2. Learning process: where does one learn how to use such programs!!!

3. comments on the plus and minuses of your valued experience with the specific programs for your DSLR pics.

My curious 2.3 cents,
    1. Yes I do, actually, it is really just a convertor, to jpg or to tif .... a 6 mg raw can convert to nearly 33mg tif, no compression.

2. No learning process, open, look at the pic, like it, press convert

3. Not much comment, but converted pictures does seems to be bette then 10D internal jpg writer, as you will not lose minor detail when you convert to TIF or TIFF w Compression.

RAW conversion is a little tricky; the devil is in the details. Firstly, the Nikon RAW converter with NC (not NV) is quite good. But many Canonites prefer third-party ones. Go figure.

As I said, the interpretation is very sensative. Take a neutral, third-party converter, Adobe Raw Converter. Initially many on the Nikon forum thought that it was very good. Until some people looked closer. Color has a different (not better or worse, just different). But details in the shadow using ARC was lost.

There is no major difference between the various RAW converters, just the details and workflow. Another one you can try with your 10D is Capture One LE (note the LE). I have not tried it but those who have, some liked it a lot... It comes with a free 15-day trial.

Talking thanks

thanks...

Default Re: RAW Convertors for DSLR pics

U can try out the new Bibble 2002 or the Phaseone Capture 1.2 Pro, Bibble 2002 is faster in converting raws while Phaseone got very nice workflow tools but need abit of getting used to.