Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my thoughts on auto mode

Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    and to take it to the next level, shoot RAW
    Take it to even the next level.. shoot film..

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Opps, used to shoot fim using manual camera, now degrade my skill using DSLR and AP mode.....

Can't image what will it be like going back to film....siong.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Opps, used to shoot fim using manual camera, now degrade my skill using DSLR and AP mode.....

Can't image what will it be like going back to film....siong.
    It's not siong lah... It's just very sian.. When people already enjoying their images you'll still be waiting to get it processed.

There are people who buy a DSLR just to use it as a normal PNS camera. Should we begrudge them their choice?

Who are we to assume, or even adopt a point of view that if one buys a DSLR, one is obliged to be interested in progressive photographic practice?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

At my age I need to auto focus as my eyes are no longer sharp enough to give me the required results. I'm sure there are many people in my position and I thank God that nowadays we do have auto focus.

BTW nowadays many people drive auto transmission cars rather than manual - even for Ferraris, Porsches, etc. so what's the big fuss about manual focus vs. auto focus? Times have changed so let's change with it. Is it degrading to admit to using auto focus?

It's not siong lah... It's just very sian.. When people already enjoying their images you'll still be waiting to get it processed.
    Share a funny film shooter's story.

You know some film cams have this square at the back for you to put the film info card right (that coincidentally looks like an LCD screen)? My friend left his empty, and after he shot a photo, the person in it came over and wanted to chimp, like on a digital camera. Seeing the blank "LCD screen", he enquired...

"LCD screen spoil ah?"

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    There are people who buy a DSLR just to use it as a normal PNS camera. Should we begrudge them their choice?

Who are we to assume, or even adopt a point of view that if one buys a DSLR, one is obliged to be interested in progressive photographic practice?
    It's not the people who buy the low end dSLRs that should be questioned. After all, the Olympus E-410 and others now have Live View and work similarly to their old point-and-shoot camera.

It's the person who spends big money on lenses, external flashes, and mid range bodies that make you wonder why they're still shooting as if they have a point-and-shoot. Is it just image to seem like a professional?

Can you get good pictures in auto? Yes.
    Will you get better pictures in manual/priority? Not always.
    The bottom line? Its your choice. The pictures speak for themselves, (though you need manual/priority to achieve specific effects sometimes.)

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    It's not the people who buy the low end dSLRs that should be questioned. After all, the Olympus E-410 and others now have Live View and work similarly to their old point-and-shoot camera.

It's the person who spends big money on lenses, external flashes, and mid range bodies that make you wonder why they're still shooting as if they have a point-and-shoot. Is it just image to seem like a professional?
    It's their problem isn't it. Does it affect us that much?

It's their loss (in relation to our standpoint), but in the end, it's their money, their mentality and their right.

Why get all worked up and be ulcer-farms?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    It's their problem isn't it. Does it affect us that much?

It's their loss (in relation to our standpoint), but in the end, it's their money, their mentality and their right.

Why get all worked up and be ulcer-farms?
    It is their problem until they start acting in a way that gets the rest of us into trouble. It's hardly ulcer material in any case. It just seems such a waste.

It is their problem until they start acting in a way that gets the rest of us into trouble. It's hardly ulcer material in any case. It just seems such a waste.
    Why would they get you in trouble?

Anyway, its their business, if they want to throw money away. Unless of course they buy and then complain, "V expensive, spend out of budget, and photo turn out crap!"

more people buying means that there will be greater incentive for better cameras on the market.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    more people buying means that there will be greater incentive for better cameras on the market.
    Agree man, as long as camera manufacturers are well fed by auto-dslr-shooters or whatever, and they keep producing better cameras, hey why not. It's not like auto-shooters are depriving experienced shooters of a camera body.

But of course, if they start stripping out useful features from cameras just because they are earning more from auto-shooters...

no lah, next step after RAW is medium format digital...

take it to the next level

do finger painting with blood

can be done anywhere, anytime, without any batteries or equipment

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    take it to the next level

do finger painting with blood

can be done anywhere, anytime, without any batteries or equipment
    Eh? Need a needle, or a knife...

WRT people who spend big on expensive lenses and high end camera bodies, it is plainly unwise spending, and it is only natural for others who know what they are doing to look at them and say "what a waste", because it is truly a waste to have something with so much potential in your hands, only to fulfill a small percentage of its ability.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Eh? Need a needle, or a knife...

WRT people who spend big on expensive lenses and high end camera bodies, it is plainly unwise spending, and it is only natural for others who know what they are doing to look at them and say "what a waste", because it is truly a waste to have something with so much potential in your hands, only to fulfill a small percentage of its ability.
    you

forget

your

teeth,

mmmm

and yuh, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you

forget

your

teeth,

mmmm

and yuh, agreed.
    Last time I tried, I got this dull aching in my finger, but no blood leh...

Buying a high end cam and superexpensive lens is like buying a quad core Mac Pro to surf internet ONLY.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Last time I tried, I got this dull aching in my finger, but no blood leh...

Buying a high end cam and superexpensive lens is like buying a quad core Mac Pro to surf internet ONLY.
    on the plane to hong kong recently, i sat next to an expat who was obviously drunk

he had a new macbook pro.. opened it happily next to me, took the sia butter knife and scratched the surface a few times when trying to rip open the package containing his computer

i see nothing wrong with using auto mode. to those who say otherwise, i ask you why even use aperture or shutter priority since those are semi-auto modes? if you want to use manual mode on a modern dslr/fslr, by all means go ahead. but please do not impose your views on others or look down on them just because they use fully-auto mode on a dslr/fslr. the modes are there for you to use and there should be no restrictions to using them.

lol...why they buy expensive cam and lenses to shoot like point and shoot only they can answer. if they have money to burn then that is their choice. the rest of us can only look on in awe, envy or disgust. but is it wrong?? nahhhh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast