Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: my thoughts on auto mode

  1. #21

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Shoot a group photo. Manual focus. Let's say it's not sharp. By the time you zoom in on your screen and check, the group will be gone already.
    Not necessarily.

    With large group photos, it's more largely an exercise of pre-planning, logistics and people management, besides technicalities.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 30th March 2008 at 03:42 AM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    bro, you type wrongly isit

    if manually focus every photo can cry leh
    How did millions of working photographers do it before AF came to be?

    In sports, journalism, technical and scientific and other gneres of photography?

    Did they not deliver because they had to manually focus ever shot and every single lens they had?

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    manual focus is easier when you have the right tools.

    it's tough to do manual focus with the current DSLR focus screens. if you have a split-prism or similar screen, MF is a breeze.

    i'm using a Ee-S screen for my 5D and I do MF without hesitation rather than wait for the AF to hunt for the subject for macro or low-light situations.

    i tried it previously with a stock focus screen and it was hit-and-miss.

    having the right tool makes it much easier!
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  4. #24

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    How did millions of working photographers do it before AF came to be?

    In sports, journalism, technical and scientific and other gneres of photography?

    Did they not deliver because they had to manually focus ever shot and every single lens they had?
    this kind of arguement is doesn't really hold water. Just because people in the old days have to walk like 20km to get to where they want to go doesn't mean we have to do it now. We can drive....... Granted we still get to where we want to go but it is VERY DIFFERENT.

  5. #25

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    How did millions of working photographers do it before AF came to be?

    In sports, journalism, technical and scientific and other gneres of photography?

    Did they not deliver because they had to manually focus ever shot and every single lens they had?


    how did people get to thailand from singapore last time? they take boat

    did they not get there because they had to take boat? same logic

  6. #26
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Auto mode is the most pleasurable and ultimate orgasmic photo-taking experience.

    Once you use it you're hooked.

    The Auto Mode button should be called the G-spot.
    Last edited by Sion; 30th March 2008 at 12:51 PM.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    bro, you type wrongly isit

    if manually focus every photo can cry leh
    I don't use auto focus and I don't have to cry about it, either, because I get the shots I want focusing manually and I shoot sports, not something where the people stand there forever for you. If I waited for the camera to make every decision for me, I might as well use a video camera.

    Isn't it a matter of knowing the equipment and knowing yourself?

  8. #28

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I don't use auto focus and I don't have to cry about it, either, because I get the shots I want focusing manually and I shoot sports, not something where the people stand there forever for you. If I waited for the camera to make every decision for me, I might as well use a video camera.

    Isn't it a matter of knowing the equipment and knowing yourself?
    maybe you are used to it.. i can imagine landscapes etc, can use manual focusing, is no trouble, not sure what camera you are using, but i sure as hell would not be able to tell using 50mm f/1.4 at f/1.4 whether someone's eyes are in focus.. unless maybe with magnifying piece.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    You know why I know Auto Mode is right for me?

    A Bomoh told me so.

    He said my happiness was in the Auto Mode.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You know why I know Auto Mode is right for me?

    A Bomoh told me so.

    He said my happiness was in the Auto Mode.
    which bomoh? indonesian? the one at lavender that does susuk?
    chezburgr i can haz?

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Not necessarily.

    With large group photos, it's more largely an exercise of pre-planning, logistics and people management, besides technicalities.
    large group photos, on wide angle lenses, manual focus almost never misses although autofocus wont miss either. :P

    the only problem i had was with longer focal lengths on near objects. as long as object is far enough.. no problem with manual foc.
    chezburgr i can haz?

  12. #32

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    it's tough to do manual focus with the current DSLR focus screens. if you have a split-prism or similar screen, MF is a breeze.
    I googled for it and it looks really interesting. Do you know if it works only for focusing in the center though? Or does the split-prism work for non-center focus points also?

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    I googled for it and it looks really interesting. Do you know if it works only for focusing in the center though? Or does the split-prism work for non-center focus points also?
    a split prism screen confirms focus via three ways, 1) the inner split circle, 2) the ring around it 3) and the peripheral matte areas

    as long as the matte areas goes "clear"/"transparent" you are very close to getting into the focus.

    normally for fast primes, there's usually enough light for you to even estimate based on the peripheral matte area, but of course, the central split circle would have been more accurate..
    chezburgr i can haz?

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    You paid thousand of dollars so the camera can do the work for you. hence Auto mode.

    In Events coverage, Automode is so useful, or semi with the A/S mode which makes alot of difference.


    Manual, IMHO.. is when you got the time to setup and wait, or conditions that are within your controls. If not I usually use P or S mode

  15. #35

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    How did millions of working photographers do it before AF came to be?

    In sports, journalism, technical and scientific and other gneres of photography?

    Did they not deliver because they had to manually focus ever shot and every single lens they had?
    They shoot film, don't pixel peep and print on low res newspaper. Those demanding sharp images are longer jobs where they can take their time to focus using a magnifier.

    If AF is not important at all (just ask any photojournalist) then they would not have abandoned all their Nikon gears and switched to EOS because of the faster AF. It's less of a difference now between the 2 makes but damage is done.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 31st March 2008 at 02:29 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode


  17. #37
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    my preferred modes are manual when doing landscapes and night scenes and aperture priority for the rest. very seldom will i use programe or any of the preset scene modes, but i must confess, the slow-synch night scene comes in handy sometimes.

    but auto mode is something i use when i have to use a flash. if i can avoid using a flash, i will. i'm totally useless at flash photography and prefer to leave it to the camera. but in saying so, i've been reading my d40x manual and it's got some very nifty stuff in there on how to use the built-in flash for filler or compensation.

    there's really nothing wrong with auto mode, it allows beginers to ease into photography (and once their confidence builds, explore the cameras other capabilities), and it allows old horses like me to take half decent flash pictures, which otherwise would have been total stuff ups.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  18. #38

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    a split prism screen confirms focus via three ways, 1) the inner split circle, 2) the ring around it 3) and the peripheral matte areas

    as long as the matte areas goes "clear"/"transparent" you are very close to getting into the focus.

    normally for fast primes, there's usually enough light for you to even estimate based on the peripheral matte area, but of course, the central split circle would have been more accurate..
    Thanks for the explanation, psychobiologist. I think I wasn't clear enough though. Was comparing it to the auto-focus, where you can select the different focus points instead of being stuck with the one in the middle only. Since the prism circle is in the middle, does it mean it can help to tell if it is in focus for the middle only? Or do you mean the peripheral areas help for that when they go clear? Still, that the peripheral areas help is another great thing to know

  19. #39

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    and to take it to the next level, shoot RAW

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: my thoughts on auto mode

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    and to take it to the next level, shoot RAW
    I always loathe the idea of having to process RAW files (especially those that are for personal use/portfolio only). Until now, I have backlogged RAW files from Nov last year that aren't processed yet 'cause I'm simply loathing the idea...haha.

    Now, I shoot JPG for everything casual; RAW only comes when I know WB will surely be way off...then I need to correct it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •