Thread: DSLR and SLR question

Default DSLR and SLR question

Hi all.. this question will show u how much of a newbie i am..

my sis has an old yashica SLR with a big zoom lens. i was thinking if i get a DSLR, will i be able to plug the yashica lens to the DSLR? and also the external flash from the yashica SLR to the DSLR?

Default Re: DSLR and SLR question

i think it is possible to get an adapter for certain Canon DSLRs, or for Olympus DSLRs, in order to use your yashica lens on it.

You can check out these links:
    1) http://www.amazon.com/Contax-Yashica.../dp/B000UGH804
    2) http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...roductid=16757

However, the downsides are listed below, making it kinda not worth the hassle really:

1. Autofocus (AF) is not available;

2. Stop-down metering is used. Spot metering mode does not work properly.

3. Although it is possible to use the A (aperture-priority AE) mode in auto exposure, the aperture display is not available.

4. In the P (Program AE), or S (Shutter speed-priority AE) mode, the shutter releases, but the auto exposure control does not work.

5. The distance scale on the Contax Yashica (C/Y) lens may not indicate the actual distance. Always use the viewfinder for focusing.

Another thing to note also ... as you mentioned its old, if it is not stored in a dry cabi or box, there may already be fungus growth in the lens, so do give a thorough check.

hi catseye,
    oh.. so still needs adaptor. i saw this olympus on sale at US website for $380USD c/w with a 14-42mm lens (not sure what that is. but i read up some guides its divide 42 by 14 get about 3x zoom, is that right?), so was thinking if i can use my sis' old yashica lens n mix with it, then maybe it will be worth it.

hi cheezycool,
    yes, its kept in dry box all this time.. i think she's keeping it to become an antique though

Well, the answers have already been provided.

My personal view - Forget about it. Especially if you are going Olympus with the 4/3 sensor, which means a 35mm lens becomes like a 70mm on film. You will have to manage the exposures manually and whilst it is good training, I think you will get frustrated. You also have to focus manually.

Yes, people do use old manual focus lenses but these are usually die hards who do it because of the image quality of certain lenses (e.g. Zeiss, Pentax) not just because it happens to be lying around. In these cases, the image quality is worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Well, the answers have already been provided.

My personal view - Forget about it. Especially if you are going Olympus with the 4/3 sensor, which means a 35mm lens becomes like a 70mm on film. You will have to manage the exposures manually and whilst it is good training, I think you will get frustrated. You also have to focus manually.

Yes, people do use old manual focus lenses but these are usually die hards who do it because of the image quality of certain lenses (e.g. Zeiss, Pentax) not just because it happens to be lying around. In these cases, the image quality is worth the effort.
    4/3 sensor isnt really 2x crop sensor. but i would say the 4/3 system is a format/class of its own. and marketing says alot about the sensor being 2x on a 35mm when its not even designed like one.

their system is uniquely theirs. and 4/3 system is a technology of another breed.

4/3 is 4/3. do a read up.

35mm or apsc sensors still a 35mm/apsc sensor.

I would agree with Russ view about learning (you said you are a newbie, so I guess you have just migrate from point&shoot to DSLR) with old non dslr lense with dslr body.
    I would disagree that 2x crop factor would be a disadvantage (film lense to 4/3 sensor of olympus). It really depends on what kind of shots you want to take. If you are into tele-photography, then that means you get 2x the power for the buck (and weight), theoritically speaking (image quality is another issue). The flipside is if you are into wide-landscape, then I think you are in a wrong camp.
    The thing with DSLR is to know what you like, as each system has its limitation. BTW, the Image Stabilisation (IS) for Olympus is in the body (for the models that has IS), so all your non-IS lense will be IS-lense when you switch that on (only few other brand has this approach).

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I would agree with Russ view about learning (you said you are a newbie, so I guess you have just migrate from point&shoot to DSLR) with old non dslr lense with dslr body.
    I would disagree that 2x crop factor would be a disadvantage (film lense to 4/3 sensor of olympus). It really depends on what kind of shots you want to take. If you are into tele-photography, then that means you get 2x the power for the buck (and weight), theoritically speaking (image quality is another issue). The flipside is if you are into wide-landscape, then I think you are in a wrong camp.
    The thing with DSLR is to know what you like, as each system has its limitation. BTW, the Image Stabilisation (IS) for Olympus is in the body (for the models that has IS), so all your non-IS lense will be IS-lense when you switch that on (only few other brand has this approach).
    ahm.. actually I have not bot it yet. Was thinking if the old SLR lens can fit into the DSLR body without any hassle, I would buy it. If not I will stick to my compact P&S

It seems like you better stay with your compact P&S and get comfortable with A-mode and S-mode (or even some P&S has M-mode), if there is such setting and only move to DSLR when you can appreciate the difference of small vs large apperture, slow/fast speed, different ISO setting, 1st/2nd curtain flash (if thre is such setting), different metering mode, etc.
    Play around and you will find interesting stuff, and if that does not overwhelm you then you are ready to move to DSLR. That is what I did, and I have been telling my friend who want to buy DSLR (and they heed my advice and thank me later), because some tell me that all those setting are too complicated, imagine if they have to really set that using DSLR. On top of that these crowd most likely just stick with the kit lense. They will get a better deal with top level DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    It seems like you better stay with your compact P&S and get comfortable with A-mode and S-mode (or even some P&S has M-mode), if there is such setting and only move to DSLR when you can appreciate the difference of small vs large apperture, slow/fast speed, different ISO setting, 1st/2nd curtain flash (if thre is such setting), different metering mode, etc.
    is canon ixus 890 IS fine for all these? it has manual controls and such.. was thinking of getting an ultra compact with manual modes to try all these out.