Thread: Making full use of your UWA?

Default Making full use of your UWA?

Hi guys,

any advice on fully utilising your ultra wide angle lenses? besides the usual landscapes obviously

thanks in advance

Default Re: Making full use of your UWA?

Quote Originally Posted by cheezycool View Post
    Hi guys,

any advice on fully utilising your ultra wide angle lenses? besides the usual landscapes obviously

thanks in advance
    i dont have a uwa yet. but i think u can make use of its close focusing distant to take funny big head shots of people / animals

haha that will be just like those sony ericsson mobile phones where you can distort your photos :P

a. using in places where space is a factor, eg. a hdb flat ?
    b. buildings ?

get real close; and
    indoors.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

how about getting the most out of your background?

12mm on 1.6x FOV crop -

eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Using it at 12mm can cause distortion. Takin it too close can also cause distortion. =D

Quote Originally Posted by allstar View Post
    Using it at 12mm can cause distortion. Takin it too close can also cause distortion. =D
    of course it can.. therein lies the fun of UWA.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Hi guys,

thanks in advance
    i maintain that 10-20 is great for street shots too

think of it this way - you get people quite unaware that you are taking photographs of them, or at least unsure because you have to get pretty close. you seem to be aiming elsewhere, yet you do not take the picture.. because you're waiting for the correct expression

there is also the added benefit that the surroundings are included with the person, the trouble is that you will get some distortion if you put the person at the sides, but sometimes one has no choice

every lens is versatile, provided you know what to expect out of it.. just because there is distortion doesn't mean you necessarily have to limit it to "fun shooting".. i have seen great street shots with a fisheye, so that's one step further.. all these are at 10mm

Last edited by night86mare; 29th March 2008 at 01:06 PM.

Other than the usual landscape shots, WA can give u a little more creativity space in making shots seem more dramatic with comfortable working distance, or adding a little distortion to make your shot right

In fact the first lens i bought was the 12-24mm
    ( not counting the kit lens that came together )

Ryan

action scenes, when you wanna exaggarate the height, dist etc..

interesting thread. hardly use my 10-22 for street and guess i have not really seen it as such a lens but night86mare and esp ryan has got some great shots. maybe i should try it for street shots on my next trip

great tips guys, and thanks for posting up pics too! keep 'em coming!

on distortion: i guess sometimes it's good to eliminate it altogether, but i feel distortion does give an extra "oomph" in certain shots, considering it's done well. i would say it makes some photos 'interesting' with the stretch at the sides; more 'drama-mama', if you know what i mean. same goes for vignetting too. any opinions?

on distortion: i guess sometimes it's good to eliminate it altogether, but i feel distortion does give an extra "oomph" in certain shots, considering it's done well. i would say it makes some photos 'interesting' with the stretch at the sides; more 'drama-mama', if you know what i mean. same goes for vignetting too. any opinions?
    depends.. generally when you are too shoved in the side it is bad.. near the center is still relatively ok..

and actually with the appropriate amount of time, can be corrected carefully with liquify.. but oh, the amount of work can make one cry

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    depends.. generally when you are too shoved in the side it is bad.. near the center is still relatively ok..

and actually with the appropriate amount of time, can be corrected carefully with liquify.. but oh, the amount of work can make one cry
    true.. this is especially true for people subjects, as we don't wanna see stretched faces at the sides. but it shld be ok for the ground/rocks to be stretched rite? not so much of an issue if it isn't people/animals at the side?

true.. this is especially true for people subjects, as we don't wanna see stretched faces at the sides. but it shld be ok for the ground/rocks to be stretched rite? not so much of an issue if it isn't people/animals at the side?
    definitely, for landscapes it is not a problem, especially when distortion will either be

1) minimised as much as possible due to the use of spirit level, other than corners, which are not where elements are placed.. space can be distorted
    2) or used to good effect

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Actually the quick and dirty way is to introduce some fisheye distortion to "normalize" the faces at the edges. This can be done with Panorama Tools if you are using PS, or the lens distortion filter in GIMP. Here's an example:

Before:

After:

Of course you'll have to crop off some of the edge. Small price to pay.

not sure if that's a good way to correct, the candle rows are now curved.

usually i'd only want to fix the people in my photographs, everything else looks fine to me - if you look at the picture being referenced in yoru correction all is fine, just that the little boy is wee bit stretched

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    Actually the quick and dirty way is to introduce some fisheye distortion to "normalize" the faces at the edges. This can be done with Panorama Tools if you are using PS, or the lens distortion filter in GIMP.
    barrel distortion.

that's one way of correction esp for group shots, esp when the photo doesnt have visible straight lines (so the obvious barrel distortion wont be seen)
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

Something you can use your UWA for... and its fun... and it is to take pictures of people with that distorted view so that have large noses!
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog