Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Cameras are best for Sec School Photography Clubs?

Default Re: Which Cameras are best for Sec School Photography Clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    For schools purchase, need official receipt, so it's better to buy from retailer. And there's no need to stinge so much because quite frankly, the AV dept of schools are given quite a lot of money. I know of several pri schs that purchase 10+ Canon Powershots or 5 or 6 D40s at one go. Some have even invested in HD Camcorders.

And IMO, "must learn photography using fully manual film SLR" is old school thinking. You CAN still learn about aperture/shutter relationships on a DSLR. The cameras will not just be merely a learning tool; they will be used to cover school events as well.
    I agree with synapseman.

And you also need people who know how to use DSLR to teach the photography club members about how to shoot good pictures.
    Enjoy the Shooting :cool:

i think a entry level dslr is the best for schools, as the students need to cover school events. my sec school has 3 d40(kit lens), 2 sb400 flash, 1 sb600 flash, 1 55-200 vr lens as well as 2 panasonic fz50.(equipment bought bit by bit over 2-3years) i am planning for another d40 or d60 depending on price. i have to stick to nikon for now even as canon 400d and sony alpha kits are being very attractive.

the point is try to plan for interchangeability, esp with regards to battery charging, when it comes to major school events. also DSLR give more shots per charge compared to prosumer zooms(from experience)

however having a few prosumer zooms is important as other(non-photographers) teachers may need such simpler PnS when they go for trips outside school and such. Digital is important as the students can see the pictures immediately.

and students being students, if you get an expensive cameras and they get damaged, i am sure the teacher has a lot of explaining to do. hence i rather buy 2 entry level camera then to get one mid-level camera, which allows two students to learn at the same time compared to one.

just my humble opinion

As a CCA leader for my secondary school, I must say that we were quite privileged with the equipment we were using. Even my JC's equipment pales (quite badly) in comparison with my secondary school.

Firstly, is your club membership big? If it is, like my current JC, getting prosumers is a rational and cost-effective decision as it allows maximum exposure to the techniques of basic photography. When I mean big I mean something around 40-50 active members in the club or so. Good options are the canon powershot S5IS.

Secondly, allocate adequate funding for these equipment. I understand that for most clubs schools allocate the money on a per year basis and the CCA, at the start of the year, plans how the money is going to be used. Any leftover surplus on the sector of the budget that was planned cannot be recovered, it might even get deducted next year. For example, if I allocate $600 bucks to buy photographic accessories (e.g filters), and at the end of the year I have not spent it all, I either have to spend it or return the money to the school. Allocate your financial resources wisely.

Thirdly, it is wise to have a member in the club who is already relatively proficient in DSLR photography (ask, around, I think you might be surprised at how many do photography these days) to come with you to buy the equipment. Here I am assuming that you are a teacher. But if you are a student, you might want to consider tagging along with the teacher to advise him/her on the preferences you have in choosing a system. However, the responsibility on teaching/advising/instructing the members on how to use the DSLR falls on you. (more saikang)

Generally I would say go for the big two, Canon or Nikon, as they have the greatest variety of equipment and accessories around. The prices are also reasonable as there's a street price (unlike Sony) for these equipment. Ask around most photosocs (photography societies) and they'll probably using either of the two brands.

If you are getting lenses, consider third parties too as they are reliable and cost-efficient lenses.
    Photography -- a new language of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If I were the marketing for any of the brands, I'd PM TS for a deal now.
    Haa, very true, lots of people began their loyalty to a certain brand based on their 1st experience.

OMG! Someone just dug out another old thread again.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by victorianmedia View Post
    As a CCA leader for my secondary school, I must say that we were quite privileged with the equipment we were using. Even my JC's equipment pales (quite badly) in comparison with my secondary school.
    accusative finger*

he's a grave-digger!

P.S-mmm...i think he's 14...
    Last edited by Daedalus Trent; 11th June 2008 at 03:44 PM.

My school's photo society uses 400D cams.Got quite a few high end L lenses that some students use.I use nikon so i cant borrow anyway.Go get some tripods and monopods too.Very important

Maybe buy one from each brand...after a while the students will be able to decide which is best for them

When I was in my schools photog soc we basically had 1 SLR film system all using canon lenses with the full works from flashes to macro lens. Excellent for learning, we even had a dark room. Nothing beats learning from scratch on film to developing it yourself. But that was 7-8 years ago. Regardless, now in the age of DSLR i think a few bodies and a wide range of flash + accessories would be best.

Frankly, I'd have never fallen in love with photography using a prosumer. (i personally can't stand taking anything without a proper viewfinder)

DSLRs really for the win. Even the budget ones are worlds apart from the prosumers. But other then equipment, I strongly feel that the teachers and the students need to have the passion for photography else no D3 or 1Ds MkIII is going to make a difference.

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

Quote Originally Posted by tintinspartan View Post
    I have a question to give to the pros.

Which camera or camera brand is best suitable for secondary school photography clubs?

MY school is a bit outdated with a supply of 3 Fujiflim Finepix S6500fd's, 1 Sony HD Camcorder, 1 Konica Minolta Camera, 1 Panasonic Lumix Camera and of course, I contributed with 1 Fujiflim Finepix F11, 1 Kodak C663 and 1 Canon DC220.

So, here are specifications that needs to fit for that perfect camera.

1. At least take shots more than 6 MP.
    2. DSLR or Prosumer
    3. User Friendly

Help me in finding that perfect camera for my school to buy.

Thanks in advance
    I think you better to talk to your committee to discuss what type of camera and lenses to purchase.
    Last edited by joe; 17th June 2008 at 07:47 PM.

how about the nikon D40.. its cheaper than the D60 and imo just as good.. light weight too. and i agree with buying 2 entry levels rather than one mid range...

the D40 is selling at audio house for $1088 with a bunch of free stuff.. $1188 at other places according to my research. and i suppose audio house can issue you a official receipt.

Surpise, surpise..... not one said - Yahoo this or Google that - Yet....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Well, I guess CSer are more tolerant towards the TS when it's for the next gen of CSers (particularly when it involves students and the low budgets)
    If TS had listed the school full of premium toys, there'll be limited or less friendly replies I guess..

But I wonder if TS has tried approaching the brands for sponsorship, and in turn they can offer student packages for the committed students to purchase at competitive pricing? Hmm..
    Last edited by viix; 14th June 2008 at 06:32 PM.

So many bros here, sincerely gave their feedbacks, but TS no response leow....

ahh at least your school has a photography club to start with and a range of cameras to use
    my school doesnt have a photography club. there is only a teacher who does the shooting at events plus me n a couple of guys from the av club. we only have 2 finepix cameras so we usualy bring our own camera along. currently theres and canon 40D and an olympus E-3 and a nikon D40 running !
    its best to go with the budget and the skills of the students. having a good camera but no knowledge on how to use is a waste to. just as in my case my club people just point and shoot for the sake of it and because they were tasked to so getting a good camera is a waste!!

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    So many bros here, sincerely gave their feedbacks, but TS no response leow....
    Think the TS went ahead liao lah...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

haha TS if you're still looking..

yea sponsorship is a good idea. especially since now companies are recognising that the youngsters are getting interested in photography at a younger age with growing affluence.. maybe you can try approaching them.

i also realised that audio house gives double the memory cards for nikon cameras than say, SLS or other shops.. that is if you buy the whole kit.

A nikon d80 (body only) with a 17-50mm tamron 2.8 lens together with a sb600/800 would be a preety good combo!
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Quote Originally Posted by anglejn View Post
    how about the nikon D40.. its cheaper than the D60 and imo just as good.. light weight too. and i agree with buying 2 entry levels rather than one mid range...

the D40 is selling at audio house for $1088 with a bunch of free stuff.. $1188 at other places according to my research. and i suppose audio house can issue you a official receipt.
    Woah you are getting ripped off dude.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast