Thread: Choosing filter ...

Default Choosing filter ...

as above ... HOYA or B+W. Price differ so much as to compare to B+W.
    performance. are they the same ... thanks

Default Re: Choosing filter ...

Quote Originally Posted by copikau View Post
    as above ... HOYA or B+W. Price differ so much as to compare to B+W.
    performance. are they the same ... thanks
    Hmm... I think this may not be the right sub-forum. I'd say go for Nikon if you're considering B+W. Otherwise, the new Hoya Pro1 Digital series isn't too bad considering its price.

I would always go for Nikon.. if no have then I will go for B+W. But all also depends on the cost of the lens. Like the 50mm f1.8 and my 18-55mm.. I did not put on any Filter..
    Nikon D90

Quote Originally Posted by bomby929 View Post
    I would always go for Nikon.. if no have then I will go for B+W. But all also depends on the cost of the lens. Like the 50mm f1.8 and my 18-55mm.. I did not put on any Filter..
    I'm using Hoya Pro1 Digital MC protector on my 18-55VR. There seems to be less reflection from the Hoya when I compare it with an older L37c.

Post Re: Choosing filter ...

thanks for them reply. me using NIKON.
    NIKON filters ... humm ... do they hv circular polarizing filter or maybe ND8? ...

thanks for them reply. me using NIKON.
    NIKON filters ... humm ... do they hv circular polarizing filter or maybe ND8? ...
    Yes.. There's even a slim version (CPL2) so that it won't cause vignetting on wide angle lenses. ND8 should be available also. Check with Cathay, Lords, Max Photo or TK Photo. AP have to order if they are willing to order for you.

Hey thanks lsisaxon. Bought nikon CPL2 and Hoya ND4. total damage $230 from Alan in SLS.
    Hope to take some early shot.

Deregistered

sorry but if we use a hood a filter is nt needed right? anyway, wad filter is gd for protection only? and also a red filter is use to enhance the B&w effect is it?

sorry to hijack your thread as i tot since we on topic on filters i ask.

Hey thanks lsisaxon. Bought nikon CPL2 and Hoya ND4. total damage $230 from Alan in SLS.
    Oh! AP has stock for the CPL2? Good for you. You'll like the CPL2.

Quote Originally Posted by untitled-ego View Post
    sorry but if we use a hood a filter is nt needed right? anyway, wad filter is gd for protection only? and also a red filter is use to enhance the B&w effect is it?

You can try Nikon NC or Hoya Pro1 Digital MC Protector for protection.

hijack ? .. no worries mate ... as long as U don't share my gal .. hahaaa
    bk to the topic. for filter M using B+W. wot lense mount?

Deregistered

that is EXPENSIVE for filter :S anyone has idea abt red filters to enhance b&w effect?

that is EXPENSIVE for filter :S anyone has idea abt red filters to enhance b&w effect?
    25A Red for B&W. And stack it on top of a polariser for max dramatic effect. But this is more for old skool film cameras.

For me, I choose Hoya Pro1 Digital filters.

Just because.

Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

since we're on the topic of filters, wondering if any of u have experiences using these filters with a s.wide angle lens like tokina 12-24, or sigma 10-22,
    understand that its not just about the quality of the lens,but the thickness of it as well, that may cause vignetting at the sides..
    out of the 3, b+w mrc, nikon nc, and hoya pro1, which wld be better for such a lens
    thanks!
    hope im not getting out of the topi.
    Eugene.

Quote Originally Posted by zshui View Post
    since we're on the topic of filters, wondering if any of u have experiences using these filters with a s.wide angle lens like tokina 12-24, or sigma 10-22,
    understand that its not just about the quality of the lens,but the thickness of it as well, that may cause vignetting at the sides..
    out of the 3, b+w mrc, nikon nc, and hoya pro1, which wld be better for such a lens
    thanks!
    hope im not getting out of the topi.
    It also depends on the design of the lens itself.

I've got the Sigma 10-20mm, 77mm filter diameter. Hoya Pro1 UV, no problems.
    But I've also got the Sony 16-80mm, 62mm dia. and I get severe vignetting with Pro 1 Digital. It's thin, but apparently not thin enough.

Best is to take your camera + lens down to shop, mount the filter and take some test shots with it.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

It depends on the diameter.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 29th March 2008 at 06:21 PM.