Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which car model to recommend for a first-time driver

Default Re: Which car model to recommend for a first-time driver

Quote Originally Posted by chantyeroop View Post
    In fact, Latio Sedan was on my list, until wif said not nice lah. If not I would have got it!

Do you travel 90% highway all the time? My colleague's Latio managed only about 12km/l, sometimes worse than 12km/l. Think must be his leg feeling itchy all the time.

Think I got to try Synergy 5000 on my Colt Plus to see if it can better the FC to 15km/l.
    I think the Latio exterior is very ugly also, but once I went inside, it's spacious, has good sound insulation etc and it looks good inside. So I thought who cares about the outside? I will be looking from inside most of the time anyway. But now I've grown to like the exterior also. Not that bad lah..

The trick to hit 15km/l for Latio is to gently accelerate.. rev until about 2000, then back off the pedal let it upshift, then gently rev up somemore. If rev up too fast, it will drop gear again... Sometimes need to overtake no choice need to whack a bit but it's only momentary so it should not take too much.

I travel 90% on highway. East to south west via ECP/AYE, then southwest to north via AYE/CTE. Last time when I return via PIE, it's always jam and my FC drops to about 14.3km/l. I think it's still pretty good considering stop go kind of traffic. I would consider that as 60% highway, so still isn't too bad.

Also, don't keep changing petrol, not just RON but brand as well. I think might be they do burn differently and the ECU needs time to get used to the ignition timing. When I switched petrol, I notice it will take about 2-3 top ups (I top up when it reach 1/4 tank) before it stabilizes. The first top up you will notice a drop in FC, then after that the next top up, the FC will go back up.

What are you getting with the Colt Plus now?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 1st April 2008 at 02:01 PM.

FWIW, when I topped up Shell 95 for my current car, I got FC of 10km/L. Then I tried Shell 98 and got 11km/L. Then I went on to try the V.Power and got FC of 11.4km/L.......

I repeated the above another time with pretty much the same results. So now I stick to 98 cos I think the FC is the best for the cost. In the end it's cheaper then the 95.

Trust me, it works.

(my full tank is 60L).

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTech View Post
    FWIW, when I topped up Shell 95 for my current car, I got FC of 10km/L. Then I tried Shell 98 and got 11km/L. Then I went on to try the V.Power and got FC of 11.4km/L.......

I repeated the above another time with pretty much the same results. So now I stick to 98 cos I think the FC is the best for the cost. In the end it's cheaper then the 95.

Trust me, it works.

(my full tank is 60L).
    Hmmm.. will try to see if I can better my FC with Synergy 8000 next time. If not, then it's back to Synergy 5000. Engine spec is >RON91. Maybe your engine requires a higher RON that's why you get better performance with higher RON petrol?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 1st April 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Hmmm.. will try to see if I can better my FC with Synergy 8000 next time. If not, then it's back to Synergy 5000. Engine spec is >RON91. Maybe your engine requires a higher RON that's why you get better performance with higher RON petrol?
    Could be..... but that being said, I should've gotten a much better FC if I had used V.Power? but it wasn't much better. Anyway go try lah. No harm.

Just checked.... RON for my car is >95
    Last edited by NitroTech; 1st April 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Could be..... but that being said, I should've gotten a much better FC if I had used V.Power? but it wasn't much better. Anyway go try lah. No harm.

Just checked.... RON for my car is >95
    Oh..maybe that's why you need 98. I think I can stick with 95 because last time I found no advantage with RON98, just more pricey. Anyway, V.Power is RON98 with some additives to make the engine smoother. Used to have Caltex Techron 100, don't know if it's still available, so I guess RON98 is the highest you can go now. For your case, if you use RON95, then the ECU will cut back on the timing to prevent engine knocking like what I experienced when I used RON92. FC drops by more than 1km/l.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 1st April 2008 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Wah!! 15km/l when new is pretty good!! It could probably go up to 16-17 when you're more used to the accelerator mapping, 1000/5000km oil change and the petrol to use. What's the engine capacity they brought in for this one?
    Yup. I'm still seeing an increased mileage with each top-up! Waiting to see if the FC can hit 18km/l after my 5000km oil change Engine cap for the Fit is 1.3l G and L model and 1.5l for the RS. Mine is the 1.3G. The FC for 1.5RS is rated at 18km/l and 1.3 is 24km/l, this are the manufacturer's numbers btw.

Which petrol do you prefer among these 4, Shell , Caltex, SPC and Esso ?

Heard Esso is cheaper ? Some were saying SPC offers cheaper through card and incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    Yup. I'm still seeing an increased mileage with each top-up! Waiting to see if the FC can hit 18km/l after my 5000km oil change Engine cap for the Fit is 1.3l G and L model and 1.5l for the RS. Mine is the 1.3G. The FC for 1.5RS is rated at 18km/l and 1.3 is 24km/l, this are the manufacturer's numbers btw.
    Keep us posted.. 24km/l on paper is already better than hybrid cars.

hw much is the 1.3 fit?

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    Which petrol do you prefer among these 4, Shell , Caltex, SPC and Esso ?

Heard Esso is cheaper ? Some were saying SPC offers cheaper through card and incentives.
    Esso has 5% station discount and additional 5% discount if you use DBS Esso Tiger card. Now more cards are giving additional 5% discount for petrol. SPC gives up to 8% station discount and since card discount is another 5%, that works out to be 13%. 3% more that the other stations. But I believe Shell and Esso gives better mileage than SPC.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 2nd April 2008 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkchua79 View Post
    hw much is the 1.3 fit?
    The '08 Fit should be about $60k+ I guess.. Even the '07 Jazz is still expensive! Honda cars are not cheap...

cutecdo, how much did you pay for yours?

The '08 FIT 1.3G is about $56k. I got mine for $58k plus with the F package. The 1.5RS would set you back roughly bout another $7k. You can get the Honda Jazz from Kah Motor now for about $52k. Hope this helps

The '08 FIT 1.3G is about $56k. I got mine for $58k plus with the F package. The 1.5RS would set you back roughly bout another $7k. You can get the Honda Jazz from Kah Motor now for about $52k. Hope this helps
    so its better to get from the local distributor than parrell importer?

Kah is not bringing in the new Jazz yet leh.. Dunno when..

$58k is the same price I paid for Latio.

lsisaxon, yr latio FC at 15km/l is great...my sports is giving me 12km/l b4 the 1000km
    servicing and 13km/l after servicing...hit once at 14km/l but on avg is 13km/l.
    going for 5k servicing soon so hopefully can give better FC after that...me on 75-80%
    highway.

to the TS, i also recommend Latio, reason being FC not bad and the luxurious, spacious
    interior and comfy drive sure beats FIT/Jazz upside down..

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez View Post
    lsisaxon, yr latio FC at 15km/l is great...my sports is giving me 12km/l b4 the 1000km
    servicing and 13km/l after servicing...hit once at 14km/l but on avg is 13km/l.
    going for 5k servicing soon so hopefully can give better FC after that...me on 75-80%
    highway.

to the TS, i also recommend Latio, reason being FC not bad and the luxurious, spacious
    interior and comfy drive sure beats FIT/Jazz upside down..
    What petrol you pump? I'm using Esso Synergy 5000. I think you should be able to hit about 14km/l or maybe more for 75% highway.

Dun accelerate sharply when there isn't a need to. Anticipate traffic and try to reduce the use of brakes by regulating your speed, brake only when you really need to..

You need to learn to let go of the accelerator when you reach your target speed and let the gear shift up, then just lightly step to maintain the speed. In overdrive, the rev is around 2000rpm for speed of 80km/h, so if your rpm higher than that (~2500rpm), that means you are still pushing the car on 3rd gear, so you'll need to lift off and let it up-shift, then just lightly touch to maintain the speed. You will find an improvement in FC.

Oh yeah, another way I improved my FC was to use Synthetic Oil for all my servicings.

Oh yeah, another way I improved my FC was to use Synthetic Oil for all my servicings.
    How does that help?

Depends on how you see it. $52k is for the Jazz/FIT(GD), $58k is for the '08 Fit(GE)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast