Thread: Overdone clouds?

Default Overdone clouds?

Hello all,

I think I may have over processed the clouds during post. But I can't get any satisfaction from lessening the effect. Please tell me what you think or if you have any suggestions.

This was taken at Yishun Park next to the reservoir. Think it is Seletar reservoir.

Thanks!

Other pictures of mine can be found here.
    Comments are welcome at Flickr as well.
    Last edited by crimsonseas; 26th March 2008 at 06:49 PM.

Default Re: Overdone clouds?

think its underdone, ie not even done, if not certainly underexposed; but what are you trying to capture?

the red glow over the treeline? the brightness in the hi altitude clouds? or the overall scene?

"over" or "under" depends on what you want viewers to see in your picture - ur subject or part of it must be correctly exposed and the rest need not be.

hehehhe... "underdone"... that's cool... thanks for the critique...

Not trying to capture a subject... more like trying to capture the feeling of loneliness... ah... back to the reservoir...
    Last edited by crimsonseas; 26th March 2008 at 08:00 PM.

...this is way too underexposed.

the clouds are fine still if you ask me

and seems to have horizon tilt

You know what? This picture give me this feeling that you set your metering to spot and aim at the cloud and shoot.
    Especially the sunrise from the far side is really very unmatch to the white cloud.

i'd crop away the clouds totally and retain the panoramic part of the sunset.. and maybe boost fill light (in photoshop) a bit if possible..

the clouds looked kinda out of place in the pic.. =)

Thanks for all the critique. I do realise that I tend to underexpose my shots... will try the crop and see if it looks better...

yes i have seen ur other pics tooand i am sure now that u love to underexpose,infact ur a master of underexposurei like this pic here,overdone clouds? it might make a lovely visiting card fr a photographeror u might put it in a church and call it"second coming" lots of things u can do with this pic.....mrunderexposer

Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    yes i have seen ur other pics tooand i am sure now that u love to underexpose,infact ur a master of underexposurei like this pic here,overdone clouds? it might make a lovely visiting card fr a photographeror u might put it in a church and call it"second coming" lots of things u can do with this pic.....mrunderexposer
    Er.. thanks, I think...

I read somewhere (quite long ago) that digital photo taking should be treated like color slide film... so I think that sort of influenced me to take shots at a slightly underexposed settings. But I don't dial in exposure compensation, more like by feel on a case by case basis...

I did try to go with the in-camera meter, and take normal exposure shots, but still prefer the underexposed ones...

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonseas View Post
    Hello all,

I think I may have over processed the clouds during post. But I can't get any satisfaction from lessening the effect. Please tell me what you think or if you have any suggestions.

This was taken at Yishun Park next to the reservoir. Think it is Seletar reservoir.

Thanks!

Other pictures of mine can be found here.
    Comments are welcome at Flickr as well.
    Hi.

I like some photo's such as this ... exposure works for me....

The main problem to me is the ammount of light in the sky above.

It appears to me that the sun is in 2 different places in the sky.

Hope this comes across.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

"sun is in 2 different places in the sky"

that's it! thanks. i guess that's what I was feeling about the overdone clouds...
    Last edited by crimsonseas; 6th April 2008 at 01:20 AM.