Thread: Help! (How to shoot photos of parades)

Default Help! (How to shoot photos of parades)

I have been comissioned by my school to take pictures of a parade in school as part of the School's 10th Annivesary Celebration next Friday. So I need tips on what should I do?

Questions to ask:
    What type of setting should I use?
    Should I get in the midst of the parade to snap photos?
    Should I dash in front of the Guest-of-Honour to take a picture of him?

I'm using my school's Fujiflim Finepix S6500fd DSLR.

Thanks.

Default Re: Help! (How to shoot photos of parades)

hi tintin.

typically it should be a sunny morning.
    keep the iso low, shutter speed around 1/200 +/- according to how you want to shoot but that should be able to freeze motion.
    i guess it's okay if you do not hinder the progress of the parade, do take quick snaps if possible.
    it's also okay if you're taking photos near the guest of honour, but you don't really have to dash as there'll be chance for you to capture his photographs. (just standby near his seat/grandstand)

do consider climbing up to take an overview photo of the contigents, panning shots and look out for uniformity. hope that helps. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tintinspartan View Post
    I have been comissioned by my school to take pictures of a parade in school as part of the School's 10th Annivesary Celebration next Friday. So I need tips on what should I do?

Questions to ask:

Thanks.
    Is the S6500fd a DSLR?

Prosumer? Can apply most of the dSLR principles I guess.

tintinspartan, take a look at this and this as well.Do a search on NDP parade, i'm sure there are a lot for you to take a quick reference too. It may not be as congruent as your sch parade, but it would be very much similar.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by tintinspartan View Post

Questions to ask:

Thanks.
    1) probably aperture priority, with a lookout on the shutter speed not becoming too low, adjust iso up if required, 6500's iso noise control is very resilient.. but nothing beyond iso800 is advised

2) depends on what your parade is like. if you end up messing up the whole parade, you will end up making your school wish you weren't asked to take the photos. most of the time, frolicking amongst performers is not seen, and not recommended.

3) ditto.. somehow dashing makes me think of papparazi. especially if you use flash and blind him.

Quote Originally Posted by hvpdmg View Post
    Prosumer? Can apply most of the dSLR principles I guess.
    Lag, plus smaller size sensor won't give you much DoF control as it limits the range of aperture that can be used before diffraction kicks in.