Thread: Graphic cards recommendation.

Smile Graphic cards recommendation.

i owned dell dimension 4700. spec are pentium 4. 3.0ghz 1mb L2 cache. xp home edition. ram 512mb (2x256mb)necc dual channel ddr2 400mhz sdr am memory. 128mb pcie(tm) x16 ati radeon x300se w/tv-out and dvi. audio. integrated 5.1 channel capable.

i am looking to upgrade the graphic card to enable playing of 3d online games. not top-end games. any recommendation for the brand/model of graphic card/s and its costs. is installation straightforward? many thanks.

Default Re: Graphic cards recommendation.

I wouldnt recommend getting some of the new ones as the Dells powersupply isnt powerful enough to support most of them. Not sure which card to reccommend, but make sure to check what wattage your power supply unit is and what power the card needs, i had to change my power supply for the dell when i upgraded cards.

ATI HD3600 series abt 150-200 but make sure ur Dell powersupply can support it. On paper, the 4700 should be came with a 305W PSU. dangerous low if you ask me.

The best bet to an safe upgrade will be the HD3400 series or the nVidia 8300 series.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    i owned dell dimension 4700. spec are pentium 4. 3.0ghz 1mb L2 cache. xp home edition. ram 512mb (2x256mb)necc dual channel ddr2 400mhz sdr am memory. 128mb pcie(tm) x16 ati radeon x300se w/tv-out and dvi. audio. integrated 5.1 channel capable.

i am looking to upgrade the graphic card to enable playing of 3d online games. not top-end games. any recommendation for the brand/model of graphic card/s and its costs. is installation straightforward? many thanks.
    get either the HD3850 or HD3870. but these cards are VERY HOT. , temperature can run as high as 90 degree at full load.

1: I'll recommend psu with at least 550 watt.
    2: good ventilation . i have 4 fans fyi, 1 top, 1 back, 1 front, 1 side.
    3: download riva tuner. the default graphic card fan speed cannot make it, you need riva tuner to make it run faster but of coz will make your system nosier...pro and con..
    4: use psu calculator to determine do you really need to upgrade your psu :

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp

that's about it...........
    Last edited by ninelives; 27th March 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Smile Re: Graphic cards recommendation.

many thanks. seems like appropriate psu is critical.

Any graphic card with hdmi out direct? Not those DVI to hdmi converters.

you currently have:

pentium 4. 3.0ghz
    xp home edition
    512mb DDR400 Ram
    128mb pcie(tm) radeon x300se

1) My initial thought is that even if you upgrade your card, your system will be severely bottlenecked by your (a) relatively slow processor compared to present-day dual/triple/quad cores and (b) lack of ram.

The motherboard taht Dell gives is also unlikely to be a top end one with a high performance northbridge. the last time i opened a dell, it was a proprietary motherboard with a low end northbridge.

your system has a PCIE and DDR 1. my guess is that it's an Intel 915 chipset, which by today's standards are rather backward.

further, your power supply is insufficient. To get your rig up to gaming st

2) If you do not want to get a new pc, this is what u need to upgrade

a) Xpertvision 9600GT $299 PCIE 512mb. I suggest this because it is no point paying top dollar for a card (e.g. 8800GT or 8800GTS G92) that will be bottle necked eventually. tthis card is great value for money

b) 2 gigs of DDR400 Ram. At best bargain, it's $65 per 1 gb

c) Acbel 510W power supply at $95 from Fuwell

Total, you're looking at $500. and you will still be bottlenecked by your slow motherboard chipset, slow hard disk and overall aged architecture of your pc

3) therefore, if you're really serious about gaming, go get a new one. here's a suggested config:

Asus P5k Pro motherboard
    Intel Q6600 quad core
    XpertVision 8800GT Sonic
    4 x 1 GB DDR2 800 Crucial
    Acbel i-power 560W

cheers

Smile Re: Graphic cards recommendation.

many thanks. i, personally, not into gaming. it is for my children, in their early teens. could you suggest if it is for low to mid-range gaming needs? assuming using current pc.

it'll be better if u give an indication of what kinda games u are using it for...game titles?

but if u just need simple gaming needs, then don't spend so much. get something like:

1) Coolermaster 460W Extreme Power - $58 (PC Themes)
    2) Asus Ati Radeon HD3650 TOP DDR3 256mb - $169 (very cool card for the money)
    3) Ram - optional but i suggest upgrading to 2GB

(:

Edit: actually, with the Asus 3650 TOP, i think the cheaper Coolermaster 390W Extreme Power is sufficient.
    Last edited by Isaiahfortythirtyone; 28th March 2008 at 03:33 PM.