Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212629303132333641 ... LastLast

Thread: This is ANFIELD! LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB THREAD 18!

Default Re: This is ANFIELD! LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB THREAD 18!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...521773&cc=4716

================================================== ===========================

Gerrard calls on Liverpool's fear factor

Captain Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool are the team feared by others in the Champions League.
    The five-time European champions face Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium tomorrow in a quarter-final first leg. Although the Gunners have dominated their domestic clashes in recent seasons - with Liverpool winning just three times in the last seven years - Gerrard believes European matches are a different prospect. And he pointed to the Reds' Champions League victory over AC Milan in 2005 and appearance in the final again last season as proof of their credentials. 'We are a good side in Europe and we are always confident whoever we come up against we can qualify,' he said. 'I think other teams are more concerned about us because we have proved over the last two or three years we are one of the best sides in the competition. 'We have nothing to fear - just go there full of confidence and give it our best shot.' Confidence is high after Sunday's victory in the 207th Merseyside derby, which Gerrard believes was the ideal preparation for facing English opponents in the Champions League. 'A big derby win and the fans are happy and the players are happy,' said the England midfielder. 'It is going to be a really tough game (against Arsenal) but we are looking forward to it now and go into it full of confidence.' Gerrard would have preferred to be facing less familiar opposition - the teams faced each other four times in the league, FA and Carling Cups last season and will, by a quirk of the fixture list, also play in the Barclays Premier League this weekend. However, he accepts it is just another hurdle to overcome. 'Before the draw was made you are looking for a team in (continental) Europe but you get what you are given and to win this cup you have to beat the best,' added the 27-year-old. 'When we won it in 2005 we had to beat all the best teams so I'm sure we will have to do it again. 'If you look at our games against Chelsea (they played the Blues three successive seasons in the Champions League) they were slightly different from the league games. 'It is a cup competition and it is different from playing for three points. I'm sure it will be different but we know we are in for two very tough games.' Gerrard is also hopeful Arsenal's faint Premier League title hopes will mean they are not fully focused on European glory. The Gunners stayed in the race for the title on Saturday after coming from 2-0 down to beat Bolton 3-2 with 10 men. 'They have one more thing to play for. Had they not won maybe it would have made it more difficult for us. Now they have still got half a chance in the league maybe that will distract them a bit.'

================================================== ===========================

Gerrard playing mind games on arse.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...521849&cc=4716

================================================== ================
    Benitez ready to welcome back Mascherano

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed midfielder Javier Mascherano will return for tomorrow's Champions League quarter-final first leg against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.
    Benitez will welcome back the Argentina international from a one-match suspension which meant he missed Sunday's Merseyside derby victory after his sending off at Manchester United the previous week. Mascherano, following his reaction to his sending-off at Old Trafford, faces a Football Association hearing on Friday and it is likely he will be banned again for the weekend's Premier League clash with the Gunners. But Benitez has no doubt the player can cope with being drafted in and out of the side as the 23-year-old will be available for the Champions League second leg at Anfield on April 8. 'Javier will be available for the first leg, he will start the game,' said Benitez. 'He was playing well before the suspension and there is no doubt he will be important for us at Arsenal.' Benitez revealed only long-term injury casualties Harry Kewell (groin) and Daniel Agger (foot) are not being considered for the Emirates showdown. Either Alvaro Arbeloa or Fabio Aurelio will return to the defence after both were rested for the Merseyside derby. 'We wanted to protect one of them, but I will not make that decision public at the moment,' added the Reds boss. Benitez has numerous options for his back four. He can return Jamie Carragher to central defence from right-back and bring in Steve Finnan or Arbeloa, with Aurelio pressing John Arne Riise for the left-back spot. Further forward the front six virtually pick themselves with Xabi Alonso and Mascherano the holding players behind an attacking midfield trio of Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt and Steven Gerrard with Fernando Torres up front.

this is who we need to break up arse in the midfield and feed to gerrard and torres

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...521775&cc=4716

Torres ready to shoot down Gunners

In-form Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is full of confidence and has Arsenal in his sights in tomorrow's Champions League quarter-final.
    The Spain international has scored 11 goals in his last 10 matches - including the winner in Sunday's Merseyside derby - and has found the net four times in his previous four European outings. Torres has 28 goals for the season and would dearly like to score at the Emirates Stadium tomorrow to give Liverpool an important advantage heading into the second leg of the Champions League quarter-final. 'The first game at the Emirates will be very difficult. The most important thing is to score - if we score it is very good for the Anfield game but Arsenal play very well and it is very difficult to win,' he said. 'They won a very difficult game on Saturday (beating Bolton 3-2 with 10 men) but we have confidence again now and we have the confidence to go and win against Arsenal.' The team produced the perfect response to the defeat to Manchester United a week last Sunday by claiming derby day bragging rights thanks to Torres' solitary strike. And that goal, which saw him become only the fifth player in the club's history to score in six successive home games, has boosted the Spaniard ahead of tomorrow's crucial encounter. 'Whenever you have a bad result, you need a big game with a good result,' added the 24-year-old. 'Every player is over the Manchester United result and the important thing is to win. 'Now we have an important game coming against Arsenal and six games in the league.' If there is anything Torres needs to add to what has been a stunning debut season in England it is the ability to score regularly away from home. So far 19 of his 21 league goals have come at Anfield, with 15 of those coming in front of the Kop. Torres admits he is more comfortable playing at home but cannot explain why. 'I always feel confident that I can score at Anfield. I've got 19 Premier League goals here now which is fantastic for me, and I seem to score most of those in front of the Kop,' he said. 'I don't know why that is, but I'm always scoring at that end. It must be something about the stand, it is just different. I always feel confident when I'm facing that end of the pitch.' Despite the majority of Torres' goals coming at home, Liverpool's legendary record goalscorer Ian Rush believes the Spaniard has the necessary credentials to become feared across Europe. 'Torres has something that can make him really special,' said Rush. 'When you've got pace and can kick with both feet, like he can, you are always going to cause the opposition problems. 'Defenders don't actually know which foot he is going to kick with. That's what makes him special. He has been a revelation.' Rush believes Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez will play his usual tactical game against Arsenal and will probably look to win the tie back at Anfield. 'I think the game will be really tight and Liverpool will have the advantage simply because of the second leg,' he told uefa.com. 'I think they will go to Arsenal in the first game and just try to contain them. If you let Arsenal play, they're a joy to watch and I feel Liverpool's job will be to try and stop them playing. 'If they can get a draw, I think they can win back at Anfield. The atmosphere and the support Liverpool will have there will give them a head start.'

even torres playing mind games with arse

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG159378080401-1005.htm

Daily Mirror columnist Brian Reade assesses the remarkable impact made by Liverpool's new number nine and reveals why he can already be talked about in the same breath as King Kenny.

Before last month's Reading game I bumped into a mate whose Anfield memories go back to afternoons when Jimmy Melia's ample backside stretched the red stripe on his white shorts to the width of a girder.

He needed to get something off his chest about Fernando Torres. Although the mere mention of the Spaniard's name made the Fiftysomething's eyes blaze like a child on Christmas morning, he was clearly troubled.

And so he launched into a long confessional in which he unburdened his guilty feelings. He spoke of being visited in the middle of the night with the sacrilegious thought that it was no longer Kenny Dalglish or Kevin Keegan who were the best players he'd seen in red, but this kid who'd barely been around for five minutes.

I gave him ten Hail Marys and told him to revisit the Anfield scriptures. But one crucifixion of Everton later, I'm beginning to buy into his blasphemy.

The superstar has yet to draw breath who could prove in a season that his contribution to the Liverpool cause exceeds Dalglish's. But if Fernanado Torres sees out his six-year contract in the same manner he has seen out his first six months, there is a good chance he will win a place in our collective heart as Liverpool's finest.

And resistance from even the most ardent Dalglishophile will be futile because the cold eye of history will be the judge. Put simply, if Torres develops the way his talent and character suggest he will, and if Liverpool improve with him the way they surely must, he will be named World Player of the Year before 2013.

Michael Owen is the only Red to be named European Player of the Year while still at Anfield, with Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish earning runners-up spots and Steven Gerrard making off with a bronze. There have been others such as Roger Hunt, Graeme Souness Ian Rush and Alan Hansen who could lay claim to a place in the best world side of their day. But ask a fan of any age from Buenos Aries to the Bosphorous to name a Liverpool player who at some point was the best on earth and they would be stumped.

Ask them after the 2010 World Cup, when the then 26-year-old Torres will hopefully still be the Liverpool Number 9, and they may have a name for you.

Due to Cristiano Ronaldo's stunning form, Torres' achievements in his debut season have been criminally overlooked. Compare his 21 League goals (with six games left) against four of the most successful foreign attackers to have moved to the Premiership.

In Ronaldo's first season at United he scored four League goals. The following season it was five. Didier Drogba's first two League totals at Chelsea were 10 and 12. Denis Bergkamp hit 11 in his first season for Arsenal and 12 in his second. And the great Thierry Henry managed 17 and 17, more than a few of which were penalties. All of those players except Bergkamp were arguably playing in better teams than Torres currently is. As were Keegan (whose first season haul at Anfield was nine), Dalglish (20) and Ian Rush (17).

But the statistics don't tell half the story about this phenomenal young player, who possesses every single quality a striker needs: Pace, power, control, movement, guile, coolness, maturity, timing, heading ability, two quick feet, bottle, technique (insert your own attribute of choice.)

When he signed for Liverpool a Spanish media pundit said: "The wonderful thing about Fernando is you never see him score the same goal twice." I still haven't. Neither have I seen him score a scruffy one. Even the ones described as gifts (against Derby and Middlesbrough at Anfield) were mainly due to the mental pressure he puts defences under. The same reason Milan's Marco Materazzi was sent off which massively swung the last round of the Champions League in Liverpool's favour.

Sitting in a Milan bar after Torres had claimed revenge for Shankly 43 years on, someone asked what his best goal so far had been, and all six of us gave a different answer. Mine was his Ricky Villa slalom in Marseille but virtually every one of his 28 goals this season have been worthy of a frame.

Indeed the one we'd just witnessed in the San Siro summed up his towering talent. Fabio Aurelio played in a lovely cross, but it was Torres's ability to bring it under control so quickly, to turn his tight-marking defender so easily, then place it with such power and precision in the corner of the net in one of the great stadiums of world football, which exemplified his class.

A sign of any sportsman's true greatness is to make what he is doing look like it is happening in slow-motion. That was how his goal against Everton on Sunday looked from my view-point on the Kop. When he picked up that loose ball in a packed box time stood still. All the other bodies seemed frozen to the spot, incapable of doing anything to stop the back of the net rustling.

Yet there is more to his game than scoring. Ask Steven Gerrard why he's blossoming in that second striker role and he'll tell you that the intelligence of Torres' runs and the panic it causes among defenders creates the space for him to exploit.

Ask him why he had a frustrating game for England against France in that same position and he'll hopefully tell you that Wayne Rooney isn't a shadow of the player Torres is when it comes to leading the line. And if Stevie won't Fabio Capello will.

The most remarkable thing about this young Spaniard is that he has something of every great Liverpool striker I've had the pleasure to have seen: St John's tenacity, Hunt's accuracy, Keegan's engine, Toshack's heading, Dalglish's perception, Rush's movement, Aldridge's opportunism, Fowler's repertoire, Owen's pace. It's all there. And in his first season as a marked man in a foreign land playing in the most physically demanding league in the world, he's proved it.

Torres has yet to show himself superior to King Kenny but he has a real chance of becoming the first Liverpool player to be judged by experts as the best in the world, a feat which would mark him down as the greatest Red of all-time. And you'll have had the honour to have witnessed his every glorious shimmy.

So go on. Bounce.

i especially like the last two paragrahs. sums it all up when you compare it with the results of all foreign players first season goal tally. torres is certainly doing well.

nice articles.

TORRRRRRESSSSSSSssssSSSsssssssssssss
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    nice articles.

TORRRRRRESSSSSSSssssSSSsssssssssssss
    the new legend.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    the new legend.
    jus need a good strike partner.

jus need a good strike partner.
    robbie fowler in my dream.

robbie fowler in my dream.
    can la.

can la.
    wat to do, in real life we got kite n voronin as lpool strikers. faint

you forget crouch or is he already out of the picture?

dirty kite... zeronin

no wonder we dreaming of robbie fowler to save the day!

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    he not so jiaklat as compared to the other 2.

a pity raf999 dun think the same. maybe tas y i will be replacing him.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post

we never forget, Rafa forgot

in real life, we got kite as world class right winger
    all thanks to rafa

he not so jiaklat as compared to the other 2.

a pity raf999 dun think the same. maybe tas y i will be replacing him.
    hope u be calling up for interview at anfield soon.

hope u be calling up for interview at anfield soon.

still need to go interview meh?
    i thought he waiting for the contract?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    in real life, we got kite as world class right winger
    all thanks to rafa
    next season he will be trained to be rightback, leftback, centerback, sweeper, anchorman, playmaker...

wow!

next season he will be trained to be rightback, leftback, centerback, sweeper, anchorman, playmaker...

wow!

next season? if u manager, kite will be free transfered to Mars

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    still need to go interview meh?
    i thought he waiting for the contract?
    ya i waiting for the right hour n day to sign only.

auspicious timing.