Thread: Close up Filters doesnt focus

Unhappy Close up Filters doesnt focus

Hi all,

Just wanna check what a close up filter is for. I know this is a stupid question and it should do what it is called but i cant seem to get any focus after putting it on.

Just bought a close up x 4 filter for my lens but when i put the filter on, my cam cant seems to focus. I am simply unable to get a focus thru the view finder no matter how i turn my focus ring. Even focusing on far objects cant get any focus. Any help would be appreciated.

thanx.

Default Re: Close up Filters doesnt focus

Originally posted by lukexav
    Hi all,

Just wanna check what a close up filter is for. I know this is a stupid question and it should do what it is called but i cant seem to get any focus after putting it on.

Just bought a close up x 4 filter for my lens but when i put the filter on, my cam cant seems to focus. I am simply unable to get a focus thru the view finder no matter how i turn my focus ring. Even focusing on far objects cant get any focus. Any help would be appreciated.

thanx.
    It acts like a magnifying glass.
    It reduces the minimum distance you can focus at the camera highest zoom.
    Eg, with your camera highest zoom, you have to be at least 1m from your subject before it can focus. with a close up +4, it reduces the distance to around 1m/4 = 25cm.
    However it limits the distance you from the subject. So any further or nearer to the subject from the ideal distance will means bad focus.
    Try focus around 25cm from your subject.

Correct me if I am wrong
    Last edited by majere2sg; 11th June 2003 at 12:34 AM.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Default Re: Re: Close up Filters doesnt focus

Originally posted by majere2sg
    It acts like a magnifying glass.
    It reduces the minimum distance you can focus at the camera highest zoom.
    Eg, with your camera highest zoom, you have to be at least 1m from your subject before it can focus. with a close up +4, it reduces the distance to around 1m/4 = 25cm.
    However it limits the distance you from the subject. So any further or nearer to the subject from the ideal distance will means bad focus.
    Try focus around 25cm from your subject.

Correct me if I am wrong
    majere2sg is right.

A +4 closeup filter allows the camera to focus at 25cm (if the focus on camera is set to infinity) or slightly closer (depending on the original minimum focusing distance of the camera), but not further. It is normal to not be able to focus on distant objects with the filter attached.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

focus on close objects 1st, e.g. lock focus at the closest max, n then using yr finger at object slowly move away from the lens while checking the viewfinder/LCD when its in focus. +4 is pretty strong, so u cant focus on far objects.

Thanx guys for the advice. I will try it out and see if i can get the focus. havnt been touching my cam for 3 days. really miss the touch of it.

Hi Lukevax,

I use Hoya +4 close up filters on my PowerShot G2 and I also use 2 such filters at times.

I am not sure what camera you are using, but the important thing is that you got to turn on your macro mode or them camera won't focus at near objects at all. Hope that helps.

Pegasus
    Guests

Originally posted by Madcat II
    Hi Lukevax,

I use Hoya +4 close up filters on my PowerShot G2 and I also use 2 such filters at times.

I am not sure what camera you are using, but the important thing is that you got to turn on your macro mode or them camera won't focus at near objects at all. Hope that helps.
    Just wondering aloud. Is closeup filter a cheap alterative to marco lens? Nothing beats a marco lens, in term of focusing, sharpness, color resolution etc.

Hi Lukevax,

Thanx, i turned on the macro once but it didnt get any focus too. Anyway i will try it again till i get the focus.

can you tell us what camera you are using? So that we can better understand the issue and address it more accurately.

can you tell us what camera you are using? So that we can better understand the issue and address it more accurately.
    I am using a 10d with a tamron 28-200mm lens. Is there any special settings that i need to set?

Thanx, i turned on the macro once but it didnt get any focus too. Anyway i will try it again till i get the focus.
    you do not need to turn ON the macro mode while using the closeup filter

I am using a 10d with a tamron 28-200mm lens. Is there any special settings that i need to set?
    I see .. you are using a DSLR + a zoom lens

set ur tamron 28-200mm to 200mm and you should be able to focus the object from 18-25cm away
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by megaweb
    you do not need to turn ON the macro mode while using the closeup filter

I see .. you are using a DSLR + a zoom lens

set ur tamron 28-200mm to 200mm and you should be able to focus the object from 18-25cm away
    icic. thanx. will try it out when i am at home.