Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: How do you correct lens distortion?

  1. #1
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default How do you correct lens distortion?

    I will like to know which is the best software to correct lens distortion from Sigma 10-20mm without the need of cropping?

    Thank you.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    hrm, how come no one reply, i must have missed it

    if you look at the lens test on this one, very hard to correct



    you see, only the corners are very affected, if you correct will be problematic

    if you see this site here by ken rockwell, you will also observe that at 10mm, it is very hard to correct in photoshop because of this unique characteristic.

    i would not worry too much about it , just do not place important things in the corners, shoot with a spirit level, you will minimise such problems

  3. #3

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    the best software I know of for correcting the Sigma 10-20 (I own this lens as well) is the DxO Optics Pro... the transformation they apply to the image is specific to the lens, camera, aperture, focal length, etc. so the adjustments would be better than tools which are not so specific...

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter falconite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    AMK | Tang Shooters
    Posts
    2,203

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Amazing informatiopn.. thanks for the tip!!
    | www.falconite.com | flickr |
    Canon Equipments

  5. #5

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    but here's a caveat... I've become too lazy to use this software and the way I shoot and the stuff I shoot with this lens don't really show up the distortions...

  6. #6
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hrm, how come no one reply, i must have missed it

    if you look at the lens test on this one, very hard to correct


    you see, only the corners are very affected, if you correct will be problematic

    if you see this site here by ken rockwell, you will also observe that at 10mm, it is very hard to correct in photoshop because of this unique characteristic.

    i would not worry too much about it , just do not place important things in the corners, shoot with a spirit level, you will minimise such problems
    Thanks Pal. BTW, what do you mean by 'shoot with a spirit level'? Is it that green liquid that indicates the level of your tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    the best software I know of for correcting the Sigma 10-20 (I own this lens as well) is the DxO Optics Pro... the transformation they apply to the image is specific to the lens, camera, aperture, focal length, etc. so the adjustments would be better than tools which are not so specific...
    Thank you, I will check it out.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  7. #7

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Thanks Pal. BTW, what do you mean by 'shoot with a spirit level'? Is it that green liquid that indicates the level of your tripod?
    yes, got a lot of types

    got bubble type, got dual axis type

  8. #8
    Member fastshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    3rd Mile Stone
    Posts
    393

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Some RAW processor software can correct such distortions.
    I use Silkypix Pro and it does a reasonable job in correcting lens distortion for pin/barrel as well as color fringing.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    I use PTlens for lensdistortion, it's a cheap 1 time buy and lifelong free updates.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by njangka View Post
    I use PTlens for lensdistortion, it's a cheap 1 time buy and lifelong free updates.
    Are you using it? Curious.. how freq is their update?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, West
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    the best software I know of for correcting the Sigma 10-20 (I own this lens as well) is the DxO Optics Pro... the transformation they apply to the image is specific to the lens, camera, aperture, focal length, etc. so the adjustments would be better than tools which are not so specific...
    DxO Optics has the different lens characteristics as functions built into it, and not all the lenses are available initially. You have to buy them separately IIRC. You can also try Adobe Lightroom. It has a much more generic distortion correction built into it. The difference in some cases between Dxo and lightroom are barely noticeable.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    DxO Optics is a lot more expensive compared to PTlens...

  13. #13

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by raaj.cee View Post
    DxO Optics has the different lens characteristics as functions built into it, and not all the lenses are available initially. You have to buy them separately IIRC.
    there are two packages, one that only covers consumer and prosumer models, DxO Optics Pro Standard, and one that covers all models, DxO Optics Pro Elite... but in either case, all lens modules within their particular category are available for free download according to the categories (i.e. people who have the "Standard" package can download all lens modules within this package, and those with "Elite" can download everything) including ones added in future updates...

  14. #14
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: How do you correct lens distortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    there are two packages, one that only covers consumer and prosumer models, DxO Optics Pro Standard, and one that covers all models, DxO Optics Pro Elite... but in either case, all lens modules within their particular category are available for free download according to the categories (i.e. people who have the "Standard" package can download all lens modules within this package, and those with "Elite" can download everything) including ones added in future updates...
    Is the "update" freq for regular?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •