Thread: Some noob questions

Question Some noob questions

I'm a noob using a Canon 400D (kit 1) to improve my photography skill...

1) I've just purchase a dry cabinet, may I know the ideal RH settings? There's also a temperature display beside it. Is it co-related? I'm using the 30L Digi Cabi brand bought at Carrefour.

2) What is the essential equipment needed to help build my foundation?
    a) Type of lens
    b) Is a tripod needed? A ballhead?
    c) Type of flash?
    d) Any other options is welcome...

3) What is the function of a ballhead?

4) I've noticed that my hand shake a little especially when I trigger the shutter. Is there a way to overcome it literally?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Default Re: Some noob questions

1) RH is usually set to 45%.

2) Don't be too eager to buy equipment. Experiment and shoot more often with your current setup and then slowly explore other areas. This would allow you to get familiar with your camera and it's capabilities.

2a) The types of lenses needed depend on the type of photos you want to shoot. (ie. Macro, wide angled landscapes, etc.)

2b) You'll need a tripod for night landscapes, cityscapes, etc. You may also need a tripod for macro work.

2c) You got to know what you're shooting before you decide to buy a flash. Do you need one in the first place?

3) The ballhead allows you to rotate and move your camera to position (on the tripod) easily, with just one knob. There is the alternative 3-way adjustment head that would require you to adjust 3 different knobs/handles if you want to get your camera into position. However, that does not mean that the ballhead is better than the other. Each has its own applications to various situations.

4) Tuck your arms close to your chest when shooting. Do not "snap" on the shutter button. Rather press slowly and release slowly. Sort of like how the SAF teaches the soldiers not to snap the trigger on the rifle.

1) I've just purchase a dry cabinet, may I know the ideal RH settings? There's also a temperature display beside it. Is it co-related? I'm using the 30L Digi Cabi brand bought at Carrefour.

45-55RH... I usually set it around 45-50RH... Too low the lubrication will dry up and rubber will spoil. Temperature does affects the RH value but the main thing just focus on the RH reading.

2) What is the essential equipment needed to help build my foundation?
    a) Type of lens
    U better try to find out what u like to shoot before purchasing new lens. Try to fully utilize the kit lens. Cheaper ways are either rent lens per day charges or borrow from friends.
    c) Type of flash?
    Get those flash like 430/580EX with heads that can tilt. Main thing is u want to bounce flash off the ceiling indoor. The flash will be very useful during indoor and for outdoor, it is usually used for fill-flash.

3) What is the function of a ballhead?
    Those cheapo ones are 2in1 tripod with built-in heads. Tripod is the bottom section and ballhead will be the top section. Ballhead is the section that the camera mounts and it allows movement. I think wiki can answer ur question better.

4) I've noticed that my hand shake a little especially when I trigger the shutter. Is there a way to overcome it literally?
    Have u went for army and go for a live range? They do teach techniques to fire using rifles and i find that is useful to apply in snapping using camera. Best way to overcome is either use tripod or build more arm muscles.
    Canon 400D + 50L - Everyone was once a Noob

Thanks for sharing your experience guys> Guess I need more practise to rid the camera shake. Seems like the next item in my wish list would be a tripod with a ballhead... then lens. Pics I would like to snap is macros, city scape.... but there's an overwhelming selection of lens to choose from.