Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: need quick opinion on

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default need quick opinion on

    Sigma 28-70mm DG F2.8-4
    thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Just my opinion, I think the 17-70mm that Feng Wei was offering would have been a better (range) lens in a APS-C DSLR. Unless you are using a Film or full frame, get that one instead..

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    I would prefer that lens as well, but the price difference is pretty big

  4. #4

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Just curious how much difference is the two?
    To be frank, i love the 17-70 since i got it and it cover the wide for most situation with a nice 2.8 though the sweet spot is at F4.
    In long run, i do think it is more worthy to get the 17-70 to suppress the LBA for a longer time than 28-70.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Actually, most at wide angles, I don't use 2.8 if possible. If there's good lighting conditions, I would go 5.6 and above.. not sure if that's what usually pple do.

  6. #6

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Ya. I do use above 4 most of the time for group shots.
    2.8/17mm at times when i want space around my subject and small aperture to bring the focus of the picture to the subject while keeping everything else as dreamy as possible.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    Sigma 28-70mm DG F2.8-4
    thanks!
    Erenon- Sorry to crash your thread

    Just got a qns to ask about this lens.

    Seems like its a fisheye lens?

    As per Sigma website:
    "This digitally optimized diagonal fisheye lens is equipped with a new multi-layer coating technology that reduces both flare and ghosting."

    Is there any differences between the fixed focal length fisheye lens and this 28-70?
    Let's get rolling :)

  8. #8

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    I would prefer that lens as well, but the price difference is pretty big
    Although Sigma 17-70 is a good lens but not every copy has the same IQ. I had mine replaced due to back focus.
    All photographs are there to remind us of what we forget.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoney View Post

    Seems like its a fisheye lens?

    As per Sigma website:
    "This digitally optimized diagonal fisheye lens is equipped with a new multi-layer coating technology that reduces both flare and ghosting."

    Is there any differences between the fixed focal length fisheye lens and this 28-70?
    A fisheye zoom that goes up to 70mm? not sure if that's technically possible, cos the 2 fisheye zooms by pentax had rather short maximum focal lengths (DA 10 - 17, F 17 - 28). However, I've tried the 17 - 70 on a film body before, and the barrel distortion was visible even at 70mm, which sorta gives a fisheye effect. This would be minimised with the APS - C sized sensor tho.
    Last edited by knyghtfall81; 25th March 2008 at 12:01 AM.
    Scene in Singapore
    Lens of the month: Mamiya Sekor 60mm f2.8 Macro

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    oh nevermind.. the window of opp is over..

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by knyghtfall81 View Post
    A fisheye zoom that goes up to 70mm? not sure if that's technically possible, cos the 2 fisheye zooms by pentax had rather short maximum focal lengths (DA 10 - 17, F 17 - 28). However, I've tried the 17 - 70 on a film body before, and the barrel distortion was visible even at 70mm, which sorta gives a fisheye effect. This would be minimised with the APS - C sized sensor tho.
    I was surprise too.

    I used to consider this lens few months back but gave up as it seems to be a fisheye lens.
    Let's get rolling :)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Seng Kang
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    It's funny though...
    I have the 17-70 but never considered it fisheye....
    In fact, I'm using as my kit replacement.
    There's slight distortion at 17 though... but not as pronounced as the DA10-17.
    I'm considering the Sigma 10-20 now though...

  13. #13

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    Sigma 28-70mm DG F2.8-4
    thanks!
    This is a cheap consumer level lens, but optically it's pretty good. Should work well as a daily walkabout lens. Of course it's not wide enough on dSLR for traveling or stuff like that, but should be okay for street or people photos. You probably need to keep your kit lens (if you have one) when you need to go wide.

    Sigma has a better faster one: 28-70/2.8 EX DG, which should be alot better. But of course it's much more expensive, and much heavier too.

    For one lens solution, of course the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 seems to be a better buy. Although it's more expensive, but you probably can live w/ one lens instead of two

    Good luck.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    thanks fengwei. I thought yours was pretty well priced, but its really hard to justify now. Had i received tour answer earlier i might have bid for that lens. oh well.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Go with one that fits ur budget best

    Before Sigma 17-70mm, ppl went for DA 16-45mm. Then dump it for Sigma 17-70mm, and now going for the f2.8s. Never ending one. Soon u'll discovered u're in LBA LBA very hard to cure, only way to cure it is to isolate urself from the photography world and concentrate on discovering ur own photography

  16. #16

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Go with one that fits ur budget best

    Before Sigma 17-70mm, ppl went for DA 16-45mm. Then dump it for Sigma 17-70mm, and now going for the f2.8s. Never ending one. Soon u'll discovered u're in LBA LBA very hard to cure, only way to cure it is to isolate urself from the photography world and concentrate on discovering ur own photography
    That's totally true.

    Got stuck in the photogear world all this time, can't seem to get out I probably should dump most of my gear, just keep one or two lenses so I can use them well, instead of holding most of them in hand but not using them at all ...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    That's totally true.

    Got stuck in the photogear world all this time, can't seem to get out I probably should dump most of my gear, just keep one or two lenses so I can use them well, instead of holding most of them in hand but not using them at all ...
    Took me abt 6 months away from CS to learn. I never thought I'll go into Petography and product photography. Think it's due to being stuck at home and looking after a puppy

  18. #18

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Took me abt 6 months away from CS to learn. I never thought I'll go into Petography and product photography. Think it's due to being stuck at home and looking after a puppy
    Guess it is a nice surprise to see you back here as well...
    For a long while, thought u got lost in the forest while trying to find bug to shoot...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    I've got a baby... not a puppy. Most photos i take these days are of her

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: need quick opinion on

    Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    I've got a baby... not a puppy. Most photos i take these days are of her
    The puppy thingy wasn't directed at you. Anyway, if u aren't going to take wides and has a budget, Sigma 28-70mm is a good option. The advise given was;

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Go with one that fits ur budget best

    Before Sigma 17-70mm, ppl went for DA 16-45mm. Then dump it for Sigma 17-70mm, and now going for the f2.8s. Never ending one. Soon u'll discovered u're in LBA LBA very hard to cure, only way to cure it is to isolate urself from the photography world and concentrate on discovering ur own photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •