Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Is Your Favourite (1) lens when going on an organized tour group?

Default Re: What Is Your Favourite (1) lens when going on an organized tour group?

The Sony 18-250mm has to be it.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Default Re: What Is Your Favourite (1) lens when going on an organized tour group?

Hi, have you considered the one camera one prime lens approach.

I have a old Sigma 24mm F2.8 which during the film era was renowed to be very sharp and nice, and can do macro. Mounted on the DSLR, it becomes something like a 35mm F2.8.

Pretty good results from this lens.... it is very light and sharp , and for taking people shots, 35mm is all you need....

I have tried using a Tokia ATX 17mm F3.5, but too heavy. Turned out to be at times for street photo, I simply use the Sigma 24mm. Organized tour trip, I also find 35mm the most frequently use focal lenght.
    Last edited by jonathan_wong; 26th March 2008 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Nikon 18-200VR.
    I second to that. Just one lens to cover the entire trip.

Kit lens a bit too slow...

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103 View Post
    I second to that. Just one lens to cover the entire trip.

Kit lens a bit too slow...
    The 18-200VR is also f/3.5 at 18mm, same as the kit lenses...

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The 18-200VR is also f/3.5 at 18mm, same as the kit lenses...
    Yup I know, that's the real funny part.

'Cos before I had the 18-200VR, I brought my kit lens during one organized group tour. Many times the kit lens have trouble trying to focus on a particular framing. I tried changing in the AF mode but focusing was slow or my kit lens had trouble focusing.

Thought something is wrong with the cam body but brought down to Cathay Photo once and they said its okay...

Didn't have that kind of trouble when I used the 18-200VR.

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103 View Post
    Yup I know, that's the real funny part.

'Cos before I had the 18-200VR, I brought my kit lens during one organized group tour. Many times the kit lens have trouble trying to focus on a particular framing. I tried changing in the AF mode but focusing was slow or my kit lens had trouble focusing.

Thought something is wrong with the cam body but brought down to Cathay Photo once and they said its okay...

Didn't have that kind of trouble when I used the 18-200VR.
    Hmm.. I know what you mean now. Yes, I agree that the 18-200VR focuses a little bit faster than the kit lenses depending on which ones you're talking about.

If it's to be a one lens only, then as others have mentioned a definite 18-200 VR.
    Otherwise I would bring my 28-80 f/2.8. Just love this lens. With my 12-24 f/4 and flash for low indoor light.
    Last edited by Inukshuk; 28th March 2008 at 11:24 AM.
    Andre
    To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before :cool:

Used to be AFD 24mm f2.8
    Now, 17-55mm f2.8

I noticed no matter I brought 18-70, 17-55, or even a compact.
    Ended up I realized all my photos were shot at e widest end.
    So I guess 1 wide prime will do the job?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12