Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Favourite (1) lens when going on an organized tour group?

Default What Is Your Favourite (1) lens when going on an organized tour group?

Default Re: What Is Your Favourite (1) lens when going on an organized tour group?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhiliang View Post

As wide as possible....

Default Re: What Is Your Favourite (1) lens when going on an organized tour group?

I used an EFL 28-90. Covered most of the situations.

1) Chop the seat next to the cleanest window
    2) Fast lens while on the move

I would use EFS 17-85 or EFS 10-22 to cover indoor and wide angle group photos. If taking indoor photos, external flash is also a MUST!

Nikon 18-200VR.

Actually i posted this cos i am making a trip to Ho Chi Minh city in June.

I am using the Nikon D80 with only the kit lens 18-135 and 50mm F1.8. Dont exactly like the quality of the image for my kit lens and not planning to use the limited range of 50mm.

So wanting to actually go rent a lens for the trip. Which one should i get to CONSIDERABLY increase the quality of the images plus having a great zoom range for all purposes?

I found the 17-55mm good enough for most situations while abroad. Fast, wide and the zoom is adequate, at least for me.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

I am using the Nikon D80 with only the kit lens 18-135 and 50mm F1.8. Dont exactly like the quality of the image for my kit lens and not planning to use the limited range of 50mm.

So wanting to actually go rent a lens for the trip. Which one should i get to CONSIDERABLY increase the quality of the images plus having a great zoom range for all purposes?
    Be careful a bit, the local photography club there report a sharp increase in camera snatch thief, tour group or not.

18-135 should be fine, otherwise 18-200vr, higher quality then 17-50mm Tamron

sigma 10-20

Nikon 18-200mm VR

18-55mm

use f5.5 and above. when you saying group tours doesnt me you always take picture in a group.
    what you need from this trip is to show people you have been in this place by shooting an object with the place landmark or scenery. in such case you may need f-stop to have both object and background in focus nicely.

it will be very rare to use zoom lens, therefore to me up to 55mm lens is more than enough.
    BLOMQVIST

Sigma 10-20mm & Canon EF-S 55-250 IS

Scuba & Father... For Life

i went on a tour of NZ a couple of years ago and brought 3 lenses. but a 28mm f2.8 stayed on my camera about 90% of the time. if i shot people, i just moved in closer, and it covered most of the scenery and landscape shots. the other 2 lenses were dead weight. hahaha
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

18-200vr
    most versatile for travel photog.
    couple that with a 50f1.8 n u r all set.

I personally would leave the f2.8 zooms at home due to the weight and bulk.

Optical quality of the 18-200 is only slightly better than the 18-135. The range is also not very much longer. Although VR might help a little, I suggest you work on your photographic skills, eg composition, exposure, etc.. instead because I don't think the 18-135 is such a bad lens.

Here's a link to flickr images shot with D80 using the 18-135. http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=18-135&cm=nikon%2Fd80
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 25th March 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Blog Entries

the 18-135mm is a great lens to work with, frankly i think you should worry less about the lens and worry more about the subject..

i would drag the 50mm along for shots in low light..

Just what exactly are you not happy with the quality of the images from the 18-135mm lens? You can make good quality shots with any camera, so long as you know their limits and strength.

I like Ho Chih Minh, and its pretty alright. Just don't be flashy. There are loads of tourist there, and the city itself has employed tourist security all through the main sections to help tourists cross the street and prevent theft. I went there in Apr 06 and mostly use my D50 with 18-55mm lenses. As you can see, I can't keep changing lenses. I can't say I have get fantastic photos, but they are on my website for your reference.

http://blivegc.multiply.com/photos/a...end_april_2006

18-135 has enough reach for travel photography. If you want to rent a len for the trip, you have got to get something you are familiar with, else you will be still figuring out the limits of the lens on the trip. Of course, nowadays, I mostly travel with the 18-200mm VR...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

If you are talking about one lens then it has to be my 18-200mm VR
    The 18-135mm is pretty good zoom lens as well!

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast