Thread: Please C & C... BIG Thanks !

Default Please C & C... BIG Thanks !

A little background of me... I am a new DSLR shooter... so hope to learn from all of you to improve on my composition and techniques.... so any feedback will be helpful for me...

The Wave
    (F4.5, 1/2, 18mm, ISO200, 0 step, No Tripod)

Many Thanks !
    Last edited by eikin; 24th March 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: remove extra images.

Default Re: Please C & C... BIG Thanks !

please read and understand the posting guidelines before posting

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139941
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273376

1 picture per week only, and please include a proper writeup for the chosen picture.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    please read and understand the posting guidelines before posting

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139941
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273376

1 picture per week only, and please include a proper writeup for the chosen picture.
    Hihi,

Noted that now...
    My apology... but I tried to edit and remove the photo...but unable to...
    Please advise how can I delete the thread or photos?

Many Thanks.

Before you remove the pictures, I'd like to comment that I thought the pictures were tilted intentionally. However, after viewing #4 The Wave, I am not so sure. #4 can definitely do with a straight horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    Before you remove the pictures, I'd like to comment that I thought the pictures were tilted intentionally. However, after viewing #4 The Wave, I am not so sure. #4 can definitely do with a straight horizon.
    Yes. They are tilted intentionally...
    but what do you think of the composition and the techniques, how can I improve on it...

Also... how to remove the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by theArtOfLight View Post
    Hihi,

Noted that now...
    My apology... but I tried to edit and remove the photo...but unable to...
    Please advise how can I delete the thread or photos?

Many Thanks.
    since comment has been given for #4, #4 is kept and extra images are now removed.

phew... finally.. someone help to remove the photo... Thank you !

keep the comment coming... as i am eager to learn how to improve on using DSLR...

Cheers

Yes. They are tilted intentionally...
    but what do you think of the composition and the techniques, how can I improve on it...

Also... how to remove the photo?
    you should be able to do the editing. if you're still encountering problems with editing of your postings, you can post a feedback at the feedback section to check with the admin.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you should be able to do the editing. if you're still encountering problems with editing of your postings, you can post a feedback at the feedback section to check with the admin.
    Thanks for helping to remove the extra images....
    Also, I think this "Critique Corner" is cool...

Great Work !

1) Tilted horizon does not work for me.
    2) Sky is burned out
    3) 1/2s without tripod? You get handshake
    4) I would stop down your aperture for such shots to at least f8
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    1) Tilted horizon does not work for me.
    2) Sky is burned out
    3) 1/2s without tripod? You get handshake
    4) I would stop down your aperture for such shots to at least f8
    Thanks for the comment.

have commented on your labrador series, because i felt another photo was better.

for this one, the exposure amount is about right, gives a very serene feel, but very important point to note is for this sort of wide scene, best not to tilt unless there is a PURPOSE for the tilt. otherwise, it will look like a mistake. here the tilt is not here not there.. yet too much to correct without massive cropping so i guess no point correcting unless there is a reshot.

for correction of horizon/tilt problems, you can refer to my thread here. up to page 10 should be what you want to look at. the elements in the distance, amount given is just right, but just a bit more sky and less water would be good, so that the cloud on the left which is quite prominent does not get chopped off abruptly.

cheers and keep shooting, sunsets/sunrises are very different from usual shots and really require a lot more understanding of light than daytime shots, i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    have commented on your labrador series, because i felt another photo was better.

for this one, the exposure amount is about right, gives a very serene feel, but very important point to note is for this sort of wide scene, best not to tilt unless there is a PURPOSE for the tilt. otherwise, it will look like a mistake. here the tilt is not here not there.. yet too much to correct without massive cropping so i guess no point correcting unless there is a reshot.

for correction of horizon/tilt problems, you can refer to my thread here. up to page 10 should be what you want to look at. the elements in the distance, amount given is just right, but just a bit more sky and less water would be good, so that the cloud on the left which is quite prominent does not get chopped off abruptly.

cheers and keep shooting, sunsets/sunrises are very different from usual shots and really require a lot more understanding of light than daytime shots, i feel.
    Many Thanks for your comment.
    I will remind myself to be more careful on the way I hold my cam...

Many Thanks for your comment.
    I will remind myself to be more careful on the way I hold my cam...
    when you get a tripod eventually, or if you have one already, check if there is a spirit level, this is usually shown as a bubble thing with a certain circle.. located on the part where you place the camera on.

this will help you eliminate most perspective/horizon problems.. or at least even if your eye is not exact it will minimise the amount of problem present.

alternatively, you can get one (~$12-$16 from what i've seen on online sites) which can be mounted on top of the hotshoe area. almost a must if you take a lot of landscapes.

I have a tripod... but intend to get a more sturdy one...
    You are referring to the leveling bubble?
    Any brand and model that you could recommend?
    (It's one time investment, so best to get the right one the first time round.)

BIG THANKS !

I have a tripod... but intend to get a more sturdy one...
    You are referring to the leveling bubble?
    Any brand and model that you could recommend?
    (It's one time investment, so best to get the right one the first time round.)

BIG THANKS !
    ahahaha you shouldn't ask me, maybe you can do a search.. cos i buy cheap tripods so i can abuse them without feeling pained..

if your budget is big, try manfrotto or gitzo, most people swear by these

otherwise, if you have limited budget, you can try ppcp's steige tripod

or slik sprint pro, if you're using a prosumer it should be more than sufficient light too, these two models.