Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

  1. #1

    Default Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    Hi all , thinking of when travel, i'll develope my b&w film myself but have a few question

    Firstly, can we bring chemical ( developer and fixer ) oversea ? Should i bring the chemical bottle or premix them then bring ?

    Second question is is it a hassle ? Should i use the c41 b&w film instead ? Never really use them before , any review, the kodak 400cn or the ilford xp2 better ?

    Most important question is as above, can i give b&w negative to normal lab who dont do b&w print ?

    As i will be there few months so would like to have a few prints to show local friends Of course bring a film scanner there is hell no

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    Should i post this in RF and compact sub forum instead ? Seem like more film shooter over there.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    Quote Originally Posted by bahibo View Post
    Hi all , thinking of when travel, i'll develope my b&w film myself but have a few question

    Firstly, can we bring chemical ( developer and fixer ) oversea ? Should i bring the chemical bottle or premix them then bring ?

    Second question is is it a hassle ? Should i use the c41 b&w film instead ? Never really use them before , any review, the kodak 400cn or the ilford xp2 better ?

    Most important question is as above, can i give b&w negative to normal lab who dont do b&w print ?

    As i will be there few months so would like to have a few prints to show local friends Of course bring a film scanner there is hell no
    You can give C41 B&W negs to normal labs. Chemical wise, I think you'd better find a source over there. It may not be possible for you to bring the chemicals on board because the dev is alkaline and the fixer is acidic. If you don't think there is a source to get B&W developer and fixer over there, then you should consider C41 B&W negs.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    i see, not possible to mix stock solution then bring there also ? I mean check in for the chemical not hand carry of course. Powder form ?

    And if i manage to develope the negative, can i give the negative to normal lab for printing ?

    Thanks a lot Isisaxon

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    yup, most labs can print black and white just that they will print in on colour paper, some say it isnt as nice but it gets 95% of the job done.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    So the lab can handle b&w negative as colour negative ? That's help a lot, thanks

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    Quote Originally Posted by bahibo View Post
    i see, not possible to mix stock solution then bring there also ? I mean check in for the chemical not hand carry of course. Powder form ?

    And if i manage to develope the negative, can i give the negative to normal lab for printing ?

    Thanks a lot Isisaxon
    Don't risk carrying powder form of anything across custom lah.

    Printing is not a problem but they will print better if you use C41 B&W film because the emulsion code is intact on the film for the machine to read the correction to give you closer to b&w without much cast (if the machine is properly calibrated).

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    roger, kodak 400cn is way to go then Thanks a lot

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    Quote Originally Posted by bahibo View Post
    roger, kodak 400cn is way to go then Thanks a lot
    do note the b&w negative will be printed on color photographic paper, and will not easy for them to get neutral tone b&w images, you have to accept this.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can give black and white negative to normal lab for printing

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    do note the b&w negative will be printed on color photographic paper, and will not easy for them to get neutral tone b&w images, you have to accept this.
    At least easier than using true B&W negs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •