Thread: False Moon

Default False Moon

Is there such an astro phenomena known as a "fake" or "false" moon?

My lil cousin came up to me and asked and it got me pretty stumped... i sort of remembered that such a phenomena exist but i can't seem to locate any websites that has any reference to it...

Could anyone kindly enlighten me?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Default Re: False Moon

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Is there such an astro phenomena known as a "fake" or "false" moon?

My lil cousin came up to me and asked and it got me pretty stumped... i sort of remembered that such a phenomena exist but i can't seem to locate any websites that has any reference to it...

Could anyone kindly enlighten me?
    http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/gal...lse_moon_2.jpg

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/pla...oon_false3.jpg

looking for these?

Default Re: Re: False Moon

No, not quite.. it's something like a real moon except it looks bigger and the colour is alot more yellow than the normal moon we see... is there such an astro phenomena?
    --

Default Re: Re: Re: False Moon

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    No, not quite.. it's something like a real moon except it looks bigger and the colour is alot more yellow than the normal moon we see... is there such an astro phenomena?
    Not that I known of then, sorry.

Hmm... false moon... sorry, never heard of that phenomenon before... Anyway, regarding those strangely coloured moons from Nasa's imaging... It's called 'False Colouring'... Nasa superimposes colours on the surface of the moon so as to more clearly see the details... Such colours are artificial...

As for the false moon, well there's the full moon- so explains your big yellow ball in the night sky, there's the blue moon- which comes every 2 1/2 years.... but never heard of a false moon before... Anyone else heard of it?

Anyway, if you guys are interested, the next blue moon is ecxpected in 2005, August 18th 19th and 20th... Somebody remember to take a photo then!!!

I think I hear some explanation, about this. Moon at late afternoon looks bigger and yellower due to Moon's light path is bended by the Earth gravity...bla...bla...can't remember the whole thing.
    W204FL

Originally posted by Knighthunter
    I think I hear some explanation, about this. Moon at late afternoon looks bigger and yellower due to Moon's light path is bended by the Earth gravity...bla...bla...can't remember the whole thing.
    Light bent by earth's gravity? The earth must be a black hole then...

The moon looks larger and has a orangey hue when its at lower latitudes due to diffraction through the atmosphere methinks.....

Originally posted by Spock

Anyway, if you guys are interested, the next blue moon is ecxpected in 2005, August 18th 19th and 20th... Somebody remember to take a photo then!!!
    Spock are u serious there's such a phenomenon known as a blue moon? gosh..

is it really blue? hahaa.. i sound so suaku...

heh...if its really tru...than must see it in 05 than...can some1 remember to post something to remind us all abt this event come 2 yrs from now?....heh heh...know for sure I'll forget one...

Originally posted by Quacks
    Spock are u serious there's such a phenomenon known as a blue moon? gosh..

is it really blue? hahaa.. i sound so suaku...

Yep... No kidding... See for yourself....

http://www.mallorcaweb.net/masm/bluemoon.JPG

And well... the light bended by the gravity of the Earth? How on Eart (pun intended) does that happen?

REALLY?!!! wow!!!! suaku quacks!

btw, why does it turn blue?

and also do u pple notice that the moon is very visible much earlier in the afternoon. Any idea why? or it's only these days that i look at the sky and notice the moon..

Interesting

"Once in a blue moon"...

So, da blue moon really does exist...
    Must not miss it on 2005 then...

Taken from http://www.netspeed.com.au/minnah/99lunar/99Live.html

Originally posted by Knighthunter
    Yes yes, precisely.. something to that effect but i can't seem to locate any explaination or websites related to such an phenomena.... Anyone?
    --