Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help to focus fast object.

Default Re: Need help to focus fast object.

Just saw someone posted bicycle panning shots at 1/15 @F/13 ISO 100 in the thread link below :

For something slow like bicycles, a slower shutter is possible to be used to achieve a very blur background. Apparently, 1/15 is possible @F/13 because it was nearly 6pm and the light condition was dim. If it was a sunny day light condition, 1/15 @F/13 would grossly over-expose unless a filter is used to cut down the amount of light.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362058

omg 1/15 would require very steady hands... possible to lose focus?
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    omg 1/15 would require very steady hands... possible to lose focus?
    If you try, it's not that difficult because when your body is moving in a direction, the momentum will actually prevent it from moving in the orthogonal direction, so you won't really notice much shake actually. Just try it out, you don't lose anything.

i tried 1/15 to shoot a stationary object and tat's my threshold for handshake blur..any slower than tat my pic becomes blur (w/o VR) even at 1/15 i also cannot get 100% sharp images. at most 60-70%. take pics of moving objects better?
    pardon me i still carrying the "L" plate haa
    i tried panning at 1/30 (it works great) but nv tried any lower than that cos i am afraid of the handshake...

i tried 1/15 to shoot a stationary object and tat's my threshold for handshake blur..any slower than tat my pic becomes blur (w/o VR) even at 1/15 i also cannot get 100% sharp images. at most 60-70%. take pics of moving objects better?
    pardon me i still carrying the "L" plate haa
    i tried panning at 1/30 (it works great) but nv tried any lower than that cos i am afraid of the handshake...
    Just try lah.. you have nothing to lose.. Challenge yourself to see how low you can go. In the other thread, the picture of my baby was shot at 1/3s with VR.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Just try lah.. you have nothing to lose.. Challenge yourself to see how low you can go. In the other thread, the picture of my baby was shot at 1/3s with VR.

haa my challenge was 1/15 on static objects any lower every pics get blur... my own VR is my 70-300mm try with that? abit bulky hehe...

haa my challenge was 1/15 on static objects any lower every pics get blur... my own VR is my 70-300mm try with that? abit bulky hehe...
    No.. I mean panning.. you'll be surprised how much lower shutter speed you can get when panning. Use shorter focal length and you can hold for longer.

Yes, focal length plays a great part in handshake blur.

1/focal length is the guide if there is no image stabiliser.

Most of the time when shooting fast cars, focal lengths of over 200mm is used because of distance and narrower FOV preferred and so around 1/200 is used. With IS/VR, you may be able to go below 1/125.

For nearer distances and shorter focal lengths such as below 125mm, you can pan with slower shutter speeds than 1/125 even without IS/VR. With IS/VR, 1/15 and 1 or 2 stop below is possible with great handling technique and skill.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 28th March 2008 at 10:29 PM.

HI,i try out to shot from 30D with EF-S55-250mm.shutter1/30 and 1/60,the photo turn out very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by kenkp View Post
    HI,i try out to shot from 30D with EF-S55-250mm.shutter1/30 and 1/60,the photo turn out very bright.
    overexposure.

exposure is controlled by aperture size, shutter speed, and ISO.
    guess u are using manual mode? u can try using shutter priority for panning.
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

ok thks I try again.I want to take blur black ground but end up all freeze.Not easily to take panning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12