Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: travelling with tripod

Default Re: travelling with tripod

I've done both - check in and hand carry - both no problem. When checking in, I use bubble wrap to wrap the tripod before placing into the tripod bag and get a "fragile" tag for it. Alternatively, I place it into my luggage or backpack and pad it with my clothes.
    There are no bad photographs, just different perspectives. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by molmotta View Post
    .. get a "fragile" tag for it..
    interesting.

Whilst I've not hand carried a tripod on board a plane, I've always packed it in my suitcase. My tripods are usually quite large - 22 inches without head. If I need a tripod on my trips, then you can be sure that my equipment (2 dslrs and several lenses plus viewers, computer, etc.) will be hand carried and the total camera bag will weigh in the region of 10 - 14 kg. I don't need to add more weight than that so the tripod and head (can weigh another 3 - 4 kg) goes into the check-in luggage but always inside a suitcase for protection. I don't believe a tripod bag, padded or not, can protect the tripod from the rigours that check-in luggage go through.

Quote Originally Posted by molmotta View Post
    I've done both - check in and hand carry - both no problem. When checking in, I use bubble wrap to wrap the tripod before placing into the tripod bag and get a "fragile" tag for it. Alternatively, I place it into my luggage or backpack and pad it with my clothes.
    Yup, always put fragile stickers on the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyboy View Post
    The question is whether the airport staff really bothers about such stickers. Have watched some unloading of luggage from the airplane to the luggage cars - all items got another "flight".
    So far only Air Asia (Senai to Kota Kinabalu) have asked me explicitly to check-in my tripod. On other trips I put in into check-in luggage purposely, too bulky for cabin luggage and I had enough space in my bag.
    I'd recommend to check with airport staff (not only with airline) since the airport security has the final call whether they allow tripod in hand-luggage or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyboy View Post
    you know, putting this sticker doesnt help at all, in fact, it gives goons more reason to throw your packages! its sad but true. i used to be in my company's operations dept that handles packages and even though its in policy that we arent supposed to throw packages, people still do it (as long as they dont get caught!) can't name the company as i'm still in it but its one of the fortune 500!

also, i did have a friend who worked part-time as a cargo handler many years ago and he says that they dont practise treating baggage with care as they need to clear and sort out packages within certain time frames so the only way to get the job done is by throwing them by any means necessary be it from the belt to the baggage carts OR carts to the belt!

they're pressurized to meet with service standards and i guess if you are involved in this process, the priority is getting baggages to where they're supposed to be and handling is certainly not a priority.

i used to have the airport pass giving me access to most restricted areas in the airport and it aint a pretty sight when you get to baggage areas.

so if its anything precious, NEVER ever store it in check-in

also, i made some calls with some friends in the airline business and they told me that carrying a tripod is subject to the policy of the airport security 1st and then the airline staff 2nd at point of boarding. even if airline security permits you to carry it and you clear the security checkpoints, upon boarding, the cabin staff or aircrew deems it unsafe, they have every right to take it from you and load it in the a/c bulk compartment.

i think it all depends on the size of your tripod and if it looks menacing enough for them to deem it some sort of a security threat! Even an umbrella falls in this category! LOL
    D80|MB-80|SB600|Tamron 17-50 f/2.8|Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
    flickr:vhappy:

here is my experience.
    i travel around the region almost every month as required by my job. I am high speed camera shooter, tripod is part of my equipment to travel with me. I am using Manfrotto tripod and it is very heavy for me to handcarry. most of the time i will check in without any fragile tag but of course i keep inside tripod bag. It has been 4 years, my tripod is still in perfect condition to travel.

Dont worry, even they throw your tripod, it will not spoilt so easily, unless you get very slim light tripod with unknown brand.
    BLOMQVIST

So far I've always checked my CF tripod in. No issues. Then again, it's usually tucked into my main luggage bag and does not get checked in by itself. Hand carry is a bit touchy as it depends on firstly the people at the check in counter, then the people at security before you board the plane.
    Last edited by Retro; 24th March 2008 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blomqvist View Post
    here is my experience.
    i travel around the region almost every month as required by my job. I am high speed camera shooter, tripod is part of my equipment to travel with me. I am using Manfrotto tripod and it is very heavy for me to handcarry. most of the time i will check in without any fragile tag but of course i keep inside tripod bag. It has been 4 years, my tripod is still in perfect condition to travel.

Dont worry, even they throw your tripod, it will not spoilt so easily, unless you get very slim light tripod with unknown brand.
    So important thing is to get a good quality tripod that will not spoil the rigours of check-in luggage...

I always check-in my tripod, cause got too many things to carry by hand already...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The question is whether the airport staff really bothers about such stickers. Have watched some unloading of luggage from the airplane to the luggage cars - all items got another "flight".
    So far only Air Asia (Senai to Kota Kinabalu) have asked me explicitly to check-in my tripod. On other trips I put in into check-in luggage purposely, too bulky for cabin luggage and I had enough space in my bag.
    I'd recommend to check with airport staff (not only with airline) since the airport security has the final call whether they allow tripod in hand-luggage or not.
    Similar experience, Air Asia requested my Monopod to be checked in. Most other airway don't seem to have this issue.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

plus it depends on the person on duty whos making these sort of decisions! haha

thanks to all who participated in this thread for the very constructive feedback and experiences shared. im sure many of you have benefitted from this as i certainly have.

lets see what happens when i travel in mid april.
    D80|MB-80|SB600|Tamron 17-50 f/2.8|Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
    flickr:vhappy:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12