Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: travelling with tripod

Default travelling with tripod

just curious, do you guys check-in your tripods or do you hand-carry them on-board the planes?

im not sure what the regulations are on tripods. i would however deem it to be non-dangerous goods!
    D80|MB-80|SB600|Tamron 17-50 f/2.8|Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
    flickr:vhappy:

Default Re: travelling with tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Daneal79 View Post
    just curious, do you guys check-in your tripods or do you hand-carry them on-board the planes?

im not sure what the regulations are on tripods. i would however deem it to be non-dangerous goods!
    can hand carry on most airlines and airports

checking in your tripod is usually bad idea.. especially for certain airports, where they handle your luggage like handling pieces of invulnerable material.. someone here had their tripod broken before wehen they checked it in, best not to take the risk.

interested to know too
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

hmm...im intending to hand carry the tripod with the strap and not using the bag. i guess ill have to see if im stopped when i travel next month LOL

You most probably will be asked to check it in...

Once, I was asked to check-in the tripod and they simply refuse to allow me to hand carry. For my subsequent trip, I ensure that theres extra space in my luggage for the tripod.

usually will be asked to check in the tripod.
    UK HMS Photojournalist

Dunno leh. So far I hand carry everywhere. The last trip was to Korea - Asiana Airlines, Mandrotto XPROB.

It depends on where you're going, to a certain extent...

America, for example, has gotten super-cautious about what people carry on, so I'd rather avoid the hassle and put the 3pod in the suitcase.
    Canon 5Dm2/17-40f4/24-70f2.8/24-105f4IS/70-200f2.8IS/85f1.2/100f2.8M/135f2
    Gallery

I checked in mine when I went to Cambodia. Bought the Manfrotto's own padded tripod bag to provide that extra protection.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

I just put it at the side of my bag and carry it with me.
    No issue

So far I have no problem carrying in with me in all the 3 BUDGET airlines in the nearby destinations back and forth - Asian countries only. I am not sure of Australia.

I'd always check in my Manfrotto 055CL during my travels over past 4 years- India, Mongolia, Beijing, London, Edinburgh all without problems. Reason is my tripod is very tall and heavy, so it will be very clumsy to carry as cabin luggage. I only carry the bare essentials on my cabin luggage and of course the camera and lenses. The latter 2 items are already bulky enough. No need to add another tripod on top of them all.

I put my tripod in my backpack cos I go backpacking and never carried those nice protective hard casing hand luggage. Nevertheless, the tripod survived them all and I'm still happily using my tripod. Nevertheless, I remove my tripod head from the body and pack the head with with my clothings. Manfrotto tripods are very sturdy and are meant to survive the outdoors, so it ain't a problem.

for those that hand-carried their tripods, was it in a tripod bag or did you just carry it as it is? i guess it makes alot of difference carrying it in a bag and without though...

I travelled 3 times with tripod, once to Europe (France, Germany and Autria), once to London and once to HK/Macau. All three checked-in with a hard case to protect the tripod.

for those that hand-carried their tripods, was it in a tripod bag or did you just carry it as it is? i guess it makes alot of difference carrying it in a bag and without though...
    Saw a fellow passenger travel with a bare tripod (about 1 foot in length) attached to the side of his bag. This was on a SQ flight to Manila. I suppose it depends on the size of your tripod. If it is deemed huge and heavy and can be used as a weapon, then they may be sticky about it. No harm in putting it in a tripod bag and carry on-board, after all , the bag is almost weightless.

Carry as it is, with a tripod sling/strap

I hand carried tripod with or without bags before ( the later slung tied to my minitrekker )
    I think as long as the tripod foot studs are not too menacing

But i would probably err on safe side nxt time and have a proper bag for it

Ryan

Have hand carried to and from Australia, no problems at all. Do consider checking in the tools like ring spanner and foot spikes though, while I had no problems bringing from Singapore to Australia, when coming back their customs made me dump them - and TBH they were pretty unreasonable and rude about it so I've no idea if it's standard procedure.

I always ensured there was enough space to squeeze my tripod into my checked-in luggage while I was backpacking around Europe 1 year ago. (Dun wanna take the chance to go through the security questioning and stuff like that.) Luckily my tripod survived all those luggage handling

Of cos, that also depends on the size of your tripod...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast