Thread: some question about Film Scanner.

Default some question about Film Scanner.

1: Is ICE really good?

2: Is fluorescent lamp or RGB LED array better?

Thanks.

I've got limited knowledge with slide scanners but I do use them quite often. I can only answer your first question.

YES!!! ICE really works.

Hi, been using my Acer scanwit 2720s for about 20 rolls of negatives.....no ICE so always need to ensure my negatives free of dust scratch before i scanned.

on the other hand, i read from Armateur Photographer that those with ICE scanner required more time (mutilple pass) per frame scan.....normally i scan a 36 exp roll with about 1.5 - 2 hrs, already feel very tired...

but i think ICE should work and really save the trouble on 'photoshoping' your scan image after that....

yes, ICE works and it really help you save time.

but with the CSIV, if you turn on ICE, GEM, ROC etc, each scan will take aboout 3.5 minutes, hence 1 roll will take you at least 2.5 hours
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Originally posted by rueyloon
    yes, ICE works and it really help you save time.

but with the CSIV, if you turn on ICE, GEM, ROC etc, each scan will take aboout 3.5 minutes, hence 1 roll will take you at least 2.5 hours
    How long to scan 1 frame with ICE only, at 2900dpi?

Regards
    CK

ICE wont work with black n white films and Kodachrome.

Originally posted by kraterz
    ICE wont work with black n white films and Kodachrome.
    Heard it will work with the chromogenic B&W films like Kodak T400CN etc though.

Regards
    CK

What I understand about ICE:

It uses an additional Infra-Red channel to scan the film, so that only the dust and scratches are visible in that channel. Using this additional information, the touch-up algorithm can target the specific areas on the scanned picture affected by dust and scratches.

That's why it is more effective than PS's dust and scratches filter, because looking at RGB only, the software has no way to determine the areas affected by dust and scratches, thus have to apply global filtering (similar to blurring), which is not very effective and degrades the entire picture.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Vadim
    Guests

1. Yes, ICE does really work and it saves a lot of time of retouching dust and scratches in Photoshop.

2. I do not think there a difference in results due to RGB array or fluorescent lamp.