Default Re: Need HELP getting an ultra compact camera

OLYMPUS FE-310
    No. of Effective Pixels = 8.0M
    Zoom (Optical / Digital) = 5X / 4X
    Sensitivity Auto = ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 640
    Power Supply = 2 x AA Battery
    Dimensions (W x H x D) = 93.0 x 61.7 x 30.5mm
    Weight (Excluding Batteries / Card) = 140g

I believe above specs can meet your specs requirement, except the thickness of the camera.
    You enquire 25mm and this model give you 30.5mm, different by 5.5mm doesnt not make any different i think.

Other than the thickness, i can not find anything that can not match your requirement.
    note that....OLYMPUS take very bad picture if the ISO is more than 200.
    Please try to shoot at ISO 400 and above in the shop before you buy, if you can accept the quality, this camera is perfect for you, as it fits into your required specs.
    BLOMQVIST

Quote Originally Posted by blomqvist View Post
    OLYMPUS FE-310
    No. of Effective Pixels = 8.0M
    Zoom (Optical / Digital) = 5X / 4X
    Sensitivity Auto = ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 640
    Power Supply = 2 x AA Battery
    Dimensions (W x H x D) = 93.0 x 61.7 x 30.5mm
    Weight (Excluding Batteries / Card) = 140g

I believe above specs can meet your specs requirement, except the thickness of the camera.
    You enquire 25mm and this model give you 30.5mm, different by 5.5mm doesnt not make any different i think.

Other than the thickness, i can not find anything that can not match your requirement.
    note that....OLYMPUS take very bad picture if the ISO is more than 200.
    Please try to shoot at ISO 400 and above in the shop before you buy, if you can accept the quality, this camera is perfect for you, as it fits into your required specs.
    I also afraid of its quality though i never used olympus b4, but saw lots of reviews about it producing bad quality pics. yes, it is thicker than i would like cos i was hoping for an everyday carry, slip in the pocket kind of camera. this one cannot slip into pocket ley. though my ideal new camera is ultra compact, i still hope it can have more than 5x optical zoom, produce good quality like canon, pana and good nightshots like fujifilm. also i guess i can compromise on it using its proprietary battery as long as the battery gives decent number of shots. and it must have anti-shake cos my hands shake like old man lor..

my fav camera was the 2x pana dmc-f7. produces astonishing quality pictures

Just got a reply from panasonic that the service charge is $60 exclude GST and parts and such. My gosh, just doing nothing I have to pay $60?! I bought that camera for $350+ only. Might as well get another new camera, and another brand

Quote Originally Posted by moviezzz View Post
    Iand it must have anti-shake cos my hands shake like old man lor..

OLYMPUS has very good function in anti-shake. you can shoot the photo still even your hand is shaking.
    if you not happy with the picture, OLYMPUS still have the software inside the camera call DIS Fix to remove blurr in your image.

It is very reliable if you talking anti-shake in OLYMPUS
    BLOMQVIST

Quote Originally Posted by moviezzz View Post
    Just got a reply from panasonic that the service charge is $60 exclude GST and parts and such. My gosh, just doing nothing I have to pay $60?! I bought that camera for $350+ only. Might as well get another new camera, and another brand
    If it's just barely a year of use, wouldn't it still be under warranty then still must pay service charge? Unless the repairs include parts that are not covered in the warranty, then bo bian must pay lor.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 25th March 2008 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    If it's just barely a year of use, wouldn't it still be under warranty then still must pay service charge? Unless the repairs include parts that are not covered in the warranty, then bo bian must pay lor.
    1 year 3mths to be exact.. only had 1 year warranty, should have gone for the extended warranty back then.. sighz.. the pana guy replied the service charge is look see look see only, other reparations costs are charged separately. If they quote the repair cost is not in my budget, then I still have to pay the service charge. I think it is a turn off, most probably never gonna buy pana again unless there is really a one size fits all model.

Quote Originally Posted by blomqvist View Post
    OLYMPUS has very good function in anti-shake. you can shoot the photo still even your hand is shaking.
    if you not happy with the picture, OLYMPUS still have the software inside the camera call DIS Fix to remove blurr in your image.

It is very reliable if you talking anti-shake in OLYMPUS
    but i'm not confident of olympus' picture quality.. so i think i will still prefer cameras from fuji, canon, nikon or pana (just scraped it off my list cos of its ridiculous service charge). unless the olympus meets all my requirements such as ultra compact and slim, 5x or more zoom, good battery life, anti-shake, good image quality

What do u guys think of fuji F100fd? No review on it yet.. anyone using it?

vince123123
    Guests

Just to add on to this thread Does anyone have any comments on the very new IXUS 80? IT seems like a nice small cam and I 'm thinking of getting it as a gift for a lady. However, I don't know too much about compact cameras so any views would be appreciated.

vince123123
    Guests

Just to add on to this thread Does anyone have any comments on the very new IXUS 80? IT seems like a nice small cam and I 'm thinking of getting it as a gift for a lady. However, I don't know too much about compact cameras so any views would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    hi vince123123
    you can go here to check on the specs of the ixus 80. the specs look quite ok, just have to see the final picture output quality and battery life i guess. i am nowhere near expert (total newbie), but the things i will look for are good optical zoom, battery type (i prefer AA so can easily get more spares), anti-shake, good picture quality.

Speaking of which, hopefully someone can comment on the fuji f100fd or canon ixus 890, preferably owners of such models
    Last edited by moviezzz; 26th March 2008 at 12:05 PM.

hi vince123123
    you can go here to check on the specs of the ixus 80. the specs look quite ok, just have to see the final picture output quality and battery life i guess. i am nowhere near expert, but the things i will look for are good optical zoom, battery type (i prefer AA so can easily get more spares), anti-shake, good picture quality.

Speaking of which, hopefully someone can comment on the fuji f100fd or canon ixus 890, preferably owners of such models

anybody have any insider news about when this ixus 890 IS will come to singapore? i asked retail shops and they give me the look like i was sprouting nonsense

i think this is the one for my replacement. 5x zoom, ultra compact, anti-shake, good pictures (hopefully). bonus are optical VF, manual controls. hopefully the price is $700 below, my budget

vince123123
    Guests

Wld the 890 be better than the 80?

all the specs look better

vince123123
    Guests

Except the 80 comes in 5 cool colours hahah :P

Wonder when the 890 will come then

Except the 80 comes in 5 cool colours hahah :P

Wonder when the 890 will come then
    I just checked out at amazon website. The USA will get it end of May. So I don't think it will be so fast available. But I guess I will wait for it

Hi guys,

Appreciate all your inputs. I have zeroed into only 2 cameras, canon ixus 890 IS and panasonic LZ10 (I hate to admit it, but I may give pana another chance). The thing that makes me unable to decide is the canon has an optical viewfinder, which I think will help a lot in framing my object during night shots/low light. the pana doesnt have it, so im thinking whether the LCD will be sufficiently enough for me to see the object in the night. anyone here knows? the reason why i include the pana is cos it uses AA batts which i think are very convenient. the specs of the 2 are:

canon 890 IS
    5x optical zoom
    optical VF
    proprietary battery

pana LZ10
    5x optical zoom
    NO VF
    AA battery

I want a slim camera so that I can put into pocket w/o it bulging out (or at least not look like a carrot-head tourist with a camera hanging from my neck) yet at same time want it to have at least 5x zoom, viewable LCD or VF for night/dark shots, good battery life or AA battery flexibility and of cos good quality pictures. Then manual control as well. These 2 have.

for me, i'll always go for proprietary battery since i feel that these batt usu. last longer than AAs (unless u are using those high powered rechargeables or lithium AAs)
    and less bulky than AAs.

but of cos, like what u mentioned, u can buy AA type batt frm almost anywhere, so travelling, long shooting hrs outside is possible. also possible to bring the camera out somewhere where power supply is scarce, so u'll just nd to bring enuff supplies of AAs.

u're also looking for a slim camera rite? the pana lz10 seems rather thick @ 33.3mm based on ur initial description of no more than 25mm thick. regarding the canon one i'm not sure abt the thickness.
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

The canon is 27mm thick, yes the pana is 33mm thick so not so slim.. in a dilemma here.. sighz... i once had the pana F7 which uses proprietary battery and claimed can take 300shots or so with LCD on. But the battery drained out in less than 100 shots so leaves me black face n missed other nice picture takings.. so I am actually quite wary of the inflexibility of proprietary battery and they are very expensive too.
    Last edited by moviezzz; 29th March 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast