Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Which SD do you use?

  1. #21
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    as far as I know, sandisk ultra 2 is class 4 while extreme 3 is class 6. Is there any diff compared to other brands of the same class?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    tats quite exp. Can get an equivalent transcend 8GB for slightly less. Hmm, the price diff makes me wonder is the sandisk overly hyped?
    Equivalent 8GB for slightly less? Which model are you referring to? So far from my scouting, i only find an affordable 8GB that cost less than 100 which is Sandisk Ultra II. Then again, my idea of not having everything in a basket make me get 2 X 4GB instead. Take it as a testing between the 2 model as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by kayster View Post
    can't recall what price i bought it.. but the price should be going down instead of up.. did you tried the shop at Sim Lim.. one with many indian on the 5th floor turn left on the escalator?? their cards are cheapest so far that i can find...
    I recalled i got my 2GB X150 at $40. Recently i enquired from MemoryWorld and the costing of 2GB is $70 and 4GB is $115. Thus make me go with Sandisk Extreme III at less than $80 for a slightly "slower" speed at X133. The price shoot up almost 1 times more.

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    as far as I know, sandisk ultra 2 is class 4 while extreme 3 is class 6. Is there any diff compared to other brands of the same class?
    While the class do define the speed difference, the actual writing speed depends on the maker as well. Example : my Toshiba Class 6 (20mb read/write) does perform faster as compared to my Lexar Class 6 Platinum II (9mb read). It is also depend on whether is it a SDHC or a SD. SD basically write faster due to the file structure while for SDHC, you need to get high-end model to ensure you have that speed. One have to fork out a premium to get both high capacity and speed. This is what i have observed while purchasing my SD. Not very into technical portion of SD technology to define it better so apologies....
    Last edited by slacker; 24th March 2008 at 11:44 AM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by alanswan View Post
    I have Ultra II 4GB SDHC bought from Germany last year before SDHC became available here.
    Paid about S$80+ for it...
    On the other hand though, it came with a SDHC card reader which was useful, since I didn't have any.
    Bought a Toshiba 8GB Class 4 during the recent IT Show for about $50.
    Getting lazy to transfer my photos out of my SD cards...
    Anyway, hopefully my this recent purchase will win me tix to the F1...
    Price so good now..Toshiba 8GB Class 4 at $50. I got the 4GB around 5 months ago at about $60.

  4. #24
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    Equivalent 8GB for slightly less? Which model are you referring to? So far from my scouting, i only find an affordable 8GB that cost less than 100 which is Sandisk Ultra II. Then again, my idea of not having everything in a basket make me get 2 X 4GB instead. Take it as a testing between the 2 model as well.



    I recalled i got my 2GB X150 at $40. Recently i enquired from MemoryWorld and the costing of 2GB is $70 and 4GB is $115. Thus make me go with Sandisk Extreme III at less than $80 for a slightly "slower" speed at X133. The price shoot up almost 1 times more.



    While the class do define the speed difference, the actual writing speed depends on the maker as well. Example : my Toshiba Class 6 (20mb read/write) does perform faster as compared to my Lexar Class 6 Platinum II (9mb read). It is also depend on whether is it a SDHC or a SD. SD basically write faster due to the file structure while for SDHC, you need to get high-end model to ensure you have that speed. One have to fork out a premium to get both high capacity and speed. This is what i have observed while purchasing my SD. Not very into technical portion of SD technology to define it better so apologies....
    I was refering to the transcend 8GB class 6.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/price...hp?id=2515&s=1
    Any catch to it?

  5. #25
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    I've had CF and SD cards fail on me in the past so I'm a little adverse to buying a single card with a large capacity (which can be pricy too) unless... I own a K20D.

    I go cheap so I load up on 2 GB Kingston 50x SD cards which go for only $16 a piece.
    Cheap enough that I can give it away, if it conks out I won't lose so much data and it doesn't hurt the pocket to replace, and I find it actually makes it easier to catalog my shoots. Also I don't have the machine gunner approach to shooting, so 2GB is just fine, even if I decide to shoot RAW.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    I was refering to the transcend 8GB class 6.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/price...hp?id=2515&s=1
    Any catch to it?
    If not wrong, this card write at max of 6mb which fulfill class 6 specification stated by the
    SD Card Association. This card should be of X40 in simple layman term to relate to the market spec of X50, X133, X150. No catch i would say with that price tag for a slightly better than normal SD in the market. Good to have if you are not looking for speed especially when you do not shoot RAW.

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    I've had CF and SD cards fail on me in the past so I'm a little adverse to buying a single card with a large capacity (which can be pricy too) unless... I own a K20D.

    I go cheap so I load up on 2 GB Kingston 50x SD cards which go for only $16 a piece.
    Cheap enough that I can give it away, if it conks out I won't lose so much data and it doesn't hurt the pocket to replace, and I find it actually makes it easier to catalog my shoots. Also I don't have the machine gunner approach to shooting, so 2GB is just fine, even if I decide to shoot RAW.
    Have to agree about failure of storage as i encounter before. Shoot a full 4GB of RAW and it fail to read on camera and all my card readers when home. This trigger me to have a second thought of having all in one basket kind of storage especially on Kingston cos it is the one that failed on me. Even Transcend which is much older than the Kingston still serving me well.

    And guess your shooting style allows you to go with good and affordable SD since speed is not your priority. I have few moments of not able to have my buffer cleared in time for the next shot when i was shooting at dinners for those impromptu expressions of the diners.
    Last edited by slacker; 24th March 2008 at 05:07 PM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    If not wrong, this card write at max of 6mb which fulfill class 6 specification stated by the SD Card Association.
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Class 6 SDHC cards must write at a minimum of 6 MB/sec to meet the specification. They will normally perform above this speed, but as they were defined with video footage in mind, the minimum write speed was deemed to be the most important measurement of the card.

    -- Pete.

    PS: Hi - just found this forum whilst looking for exactly this type of information on the net...

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay
    Posts
    896

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Note:
    Dnt get SD more than 4gb
    large capacity needs more power and has a high tendency to fail.

    My Work is more on Flash Devices and SD cards so dnt ask why... hehehehehe
    Canon 5D2, 1dmk2n, 24-70 L, 70-200 L, 50 1.8

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by gigahz View Post
    Note:
    Dnt get SD more than 4gb
    large capacity needs more power and has a high tendency to fail.

    My Work is more on Flash Devices and SD cards so dnt ask why... hehehehehe
    Just SD, or SDHC as well? I think above 4GB only SDHC? So those are bad?

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    2 Transcend 150x 2Go Class6
    2 Adata Turbo 4Go Class6
    1 Adata Turbo 8Go Class6

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay
    Posts
    896

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Just SD, or SDHC as well? I think above 4GB only SDHC? So those are bad?
    Thats why warranty is Lifetime

    Warranty is not the Issue, The Files inside is...

    Yup SDHC also
    Last edited by gigahz; 9th May 2008 at 02:54 AM.
    Canon 5D2, 1dmk2n, 24-70 L, 70-200 L, 50 1.8

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    tats quite exp. Can get an equivalent transcend 8GB for slightly less. Hmm, the price diff makes me wonder is the sandisk overly hyped?
    It depends really.. I used to think that it was somewhat overhyped until I actually tested out the Ext. III 2GB on my K10D. Although the card is rated at 133X, it's significantly faster than my Twinmos & Transcend 150X cards. And it does not make sense until you look at the fine print on the box.

    The Sandisk Ext. III is rated for Minimum sustained speed (more accurately, 16MB/s write, 18MB/s Read) whereas for other manufacturers, the speed rating is for Maximum sustained.

    The pain of the slower speed isn't when you're shooting on the camera and waiting for the buffer to flush into the card (wouldn't have bought a K10D if I wanted burst speeds). It comes when you're copying out gigabytes of pictures from the card to the computer for processing.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    I have 2x Sandisk Extreme III 8GB and I love them. Seldom fully uterlize both during 1 shoot but its good to have spare. I used to have a Transcend 8GB during my nikon period. But all the pictures after 4GB crashed. half the picture is black color, sometimes more den half.
    Last edited by onedollar; 9th May 2008 at 08:03 AM.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    1 X Ultra II 4GB and 1X Extreme III 2GB bought at airport. Don't know the price outside but for sure ... Extreme III 2GB rocks better than Ultra II.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Which SD do you use?

    4 GB Ultra II and 2 GB Ultra II. Need to get another 4 or 8 GB Extreme III card since the K20D produces such huge RAW files.
    D7000 + MB-D11, AF-S 18-105 VR, AF-S 70-300 VR, AF-S 50/1.8G, Tamron 90 Macro, Metz 50 AF-1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •