Thread: digital imaging lab

Default digital imaging lab

Got extra cash (retirement benefits) and feel like opening a photo-lab for digital printout only. Need to seek the advices of the clubSnappers here.
    1. Do you think this is a feasible business venture?
    2. Which is the best (in term of quality) n most popular systems - Fuji, Kodak, Konica, etc..
    3. Where is the best location, etc..
    Thanks for your feedback.

Default Re: digital imaging lab

Originally posted by lauLEE
    Got extra cash (retirement benefits) and feel like opening a photo-lab for digital printout only. Need to seek the advices of the clubSnappers here.
    1. Do you think this is a feasible business venture?
    2. Which is the best (in term of quality) n most popular systems - Fuji, Kodak, Konica, etc..
    3. Where is the best location, etc..
    Thanks for your feedback.
    1. Not really feasible as there are still a lot of film users, chances are more then digital camera user, I suggest a main photo-lab for digital printout, with a 2nd hand mini lab. or a hybrid such as Agfa's mini labs .

2. Kodak ---- follow by Fuji ----- follow by Agfa (d.labs.2)

3. Depending who do you want to target..... tourist? businessman? professional photographer?

thanks for your good advice.
    But i notice there are many new users of digital camera as a hobby as well as for office use, so i believe they still need to find a reliable place to develope their digital file. don't you think there is a big market in the next few years to come?

I believe there's a market..

i dont see why pple wouldnt go to labs that also develop film...........
    so u lose out on a particular section of the market.

Originally posted by blizzy
    i dont see why pple wouldnt go to labs that also develop film...........
    so u lose out on a particular section of the market.
    yep, unless there is incentive to go to your lab (e.g. loyalty discounts, free gifts, free kopi, Clubsnappers' meeting corner etc), it'll be pretty difficult to compete with the hundreds of film labs across Singapore.

IMO, a digital imaging lab is a feasible business venture, but will be difficult to compete in an already-saturated market.

maybe franchising like Kodak Photofinish outlets >> http://wwwsg.kodak.com/SG/en/corp/kodakFranchisee.shtml

Originally posted by lauLEE
    thanks for your good advice.
    But i notice there are many new users of digital camera as a hobby as well as for office use, so i believe they still need to find a reliable place to develope their digital file. don't you think there is a big market in the next few years to come?
    Well, unfortunately, when you step into any Kodak Express Shop or any Fujifilm e-pic shop, you can get BOTH digital and Flim developed.

Fujifilm even accept online request for photo developing of digitial pic.

If you really want to compete with them, you will have to have a fantastic location and/or great customer base and/or attractive offers and/or superb skills