Thread: Monkey tricks again ........

Default Monkey tricks again ........

ABD, aka Asian Business Directory is in the news again ..... it has to advertise an apology advert for the Yellow Pages. Even after I tel, after i faxed my complaint to them, I am still receiving "notices to update my record" from them, and if i did, then i literally have to pay them $4k +. They are just hoping that one day, just one day, one of my staff will actually make a careless mistake and "chop and sign" the notice and fax back to them! What's a monkey way of doing a proper business!

Do you notice that even big businesses are playing some monkey tricks on the consumers (blame it on the creative marketing dept)? It was reported that a foreign worker is being billed by a local telco for more than $300,000 for using the handphone to watch movies! Unfortunately the phone belongs to the company and now it's between the co and the telco. Why is there no "credit limit"? At least when we apply for a phone line, there should be a limit to how much $ we want to owe or how much the telco wants to let us use.

Also, every time we recontract the phone lines, the telco will kindly give us a lot of services freely. but for a limited period (mostly 3 months) and they will start charging after the 4th month. How many uncles and aunties understand or realise this? Many of these free stuffs are really unnecessary to many subscribers.

The common ones:
    1. "You have won ....."
    2. "Come and get your free ....."
    3. "bank in your money to get your prizes...."
    4. "Sorry .... all the offers sold out ...." even when you are first in line.
    5. etc......

Let's share your observation here on all those monkey tricks played by these companies.........
    always the Light, .... always.

Default Re: Monkey tricks again ........

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    ABD, aka Asian Business Directory is in the news again ..... it has to advertise an apology advert for the Yellow Pages. Even after I tel, after i faxed my complaint to them, I am still receiving "notices to update my record" from them, and if i did, then i literally have to pay them $4k +. They are just hoping that one day, just one day, one of my staff will actually make a careless mistake and "chop and sign" the notice and fax back to them! What's a monkey way of doing a proper business!

Do you notice that even big businesses are playing some monkey tricks on the consumers (blame it on the creative marketing dept)? It was reported that a foreign worker is being billed by a local telco for more than $300,000 for using the handphone to watch movies! Unfortunately the phone belongs to the company and now it's between the co and the telco. Why is there no "credit limit"? At least when we apply for a phone line, there should be a limit to how much $ we want to owe or how much the telco wants to let us use.

Also, every time we recontract the phone lines, the telco will kindly give us a lot of services freely. but for a limited period (mostly 3 months) and they will start charging after the 4th month. How many uncles and aunties understand or realise this? Many of these free stuffs are really unnecessary to many subscribers.

The common ones:
    1. "You have won ....."
    2. "Come and get your free ....."
    3. "bank in your money to get your prizes...."
    4. "Sorry .... all the offers sold out ...." even when you are first in line.
    5. etc......

Let's share your observation here on all those monkey tricks played by these companies.........
    Just ask ABD for their circulation list, and do a random call/check on whether these companies actually have the latest published copies of ABD delivered to them.

always remember to read the fine print and do your sums.

Just re-read the sample letter from their website... the terms and conditions of the advertisement contract are as follows;

at first glance it looks like it's $4k+ for the package, but NO, it's $4k+ for each payable edition, so the contract is for 2 years (with one payable edition per year), it means the package price actually comes up to $8k+.

Caveat Emptor.
    Last edited by zaren; 21st March 2008 at 12:22 PM.