Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macbook Pro Question

Default Re: Macbook Pro Question

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    If you do 3D work, use Aperture, or play games, the extra video RAM would be useful. Otherwise, the base machine would be just fine.
    I second that... get the base model and instead, max out the RAM instead. Harddisk can easily be upgraded in the future but not the graphics card. Unless you are running video HD or 3D apps, you don't really need the better graphics card.

Thanks Guys! Will get the base model and max out the ram. I'm sure this set up isn't too bad for Aperture and photoshop. Now off to Hong Kong to get lol!! alot cheaper!!

Thanks again

Hi,

I bought the 15", 2.4ghz MB Pro during the IT show a few weeks ago. I max the RAM to 4g on the spot, and paid for the Apple Care.

I installed Capture NX and PS CS3 and I normally edit the photo with the MBP hooked up to a Dell 24" monitor. Since I shoot in RAW most of the time, the photo are kept in external storage (SohoTank, 2 bay x 500gb Seagate, with 1394B). Speed is as good as local disk.

When I go to work, I run the Windows Server 2003 and Visual Studio .Net 2005 and Oracle 10g in VMware Fusion on the MBP. The VM disks are also external.

Quote Originally Posted by originalsin View Post
    Hi,

I bought the 15", 2.4ghz MB Pro during the IT show a few weeks ago. I max the RAM to 4g on the spot, and paid for the Apple Care.

I installed Capture NX and PS CS3 and I normally edit the photo with the MBP hooked up to a Dell 24" monitor. Since I shoot in RAW most of the time, the photo are kept in external storage (SohoTank, 2 bay x 500gb Seagate, with 1394B). Speed is as good as local disk.

When I go to work, I run the Windows Server 2003 and Visual Studio .Net 2005 and Oracle 10g in VMware Fusion on the MBP. The VM disks are also external.
    Showoff!!! ha ha ha... just kidding... welcome to the family of Mac Users...

Yeah, my boss think that I am a show-off too I am the only Mac user in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by originalsin View Post
    Yeah, my boss think that I am a show-off too I am the only Mac user in the office.
    hows the performance ? good ?

anyone tried macbookpro running 3d apps ? i mean running bootcamp and 3d apps on xp using mbp ?

Blog Entries

interesting ... still debating whether to get an entry level MB (cos i probably will use CS3/PSE6 and NC NX) or a light-weight windoze laptop...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    anyone tried macbookpro running 3d apps ? i mean running bootcamp and 3d apps on xp using mbp ?
    Yes no problem at all, i run 3ds max.. Vray rendering 5000px x 5000px rendering. No problem at all. My brother using maya to do small character animation, no problem. BUT my advice, if your main usage is windows base... why bother coming to MAC?. For us our set is just backup for office work.. Mainly running in macosx.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    interesting ... still debating whether to get an entry level MB (cos i probably will use CS3/PSE6 and NC NX) or a light-weight windoze laptop...
    If you won't use an external monitor with the MacBook or any other computer with a glossy display, I'd say that you're going to have more distractions at the minimum. The cheaper the machine, the more likely you'll need a good external monitor.

If you are able to stretch your budget a little further, get the 2.5ghz and 200GB 7200rpm HD. The 512mb video rams makes a differences and also future-proof your MBP. These small differences does add up in terms of outright speed and increased productivity.

Run this program to gauge your machine speed: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

Geekbench 32-bits results on my Macbook Pro (2.5 ghz, 4GB ram, 8600M GT 512mb vram) : 3198
    Geekbench 32-bits results on my MacPro (3 ghz 4 cores, 8GB ram, X1900 512mb: 5713

That is very fast for a laptop...
    Last edited by dankar; 4th April 2008 at 12:48 PM.

If one uses software that are Windows, do think thrice before switching to Mac. Indeed, most software for post-processing photos are available in Windows.

And if your interest is only photo (like me), getting the basic MB Pro is good enough. The 13" MB is a bit too basic. And if you don't need the mobility, then wait for a while longer and get the iMac. I heard that the new iMac will be out in June. It will be cheaper and more powerful.

Ultimately, it boils down to one's personal preference, needs, and budget.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    yeah..if using aperture and 3d then go for macbook pro.

if just photoshop, you can save money and go with macbook.

either way get the ram from sls and upgrade yourself.
    sorry to OT abit...
    any problem/slow if running aperture with macbook (2GB RAM) ?

Quote Originally Posted by i120D View Post
    sorry to OT abit...
    quite ok. faster than adobe bridge on mine.

seen my friend running apeture on the new mbp... very fast compared to before.. very much faster.... as for cs3... u will need the ram upgrade.. if not its also damn slow....

Quote Originally Posted by i120D View Post
    sorry to OT abit...
    Aperture should run fine but the user interface won't be as quick to respond as it is on a MacBook Pro, due to the better graphics hardware in the MacBook Pro.

the 2.4ghz should be fine. as mac runs on unix and does not have as much background processes as windows, programs run considerably faster...CS3 is quite fast on my macbook (cheapest model upgraded 1.25GB of ram, still running tiger though) even for raw editing

as for the $800 difference, you can easily get a branded 20" monitor for under $350 to hook up to your laptop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12