Thread: Tone mapping

Default Tone mapping

Hi all
    I'm curious as to how tone mapping is acheive after creating HDR image from various exposure.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/examples.html

I've read the above article but still yet unable to get my mind settle on what is it about.
    Most Importantly,is it necessary for HDR to be created first before tone mapping can be done?
    What software do I need and what camera is HDR/Tone Mapping limited to?[Or do i just need a body which does multiple bracket exposure?]

Default Re: Tone mapping

Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    Hi all
    I'm curious as to how tone mapping is acheive after creating HDR image from various exposure.

I've read the above article but still yet unable to get my mind settle on what is it about.
    Most Importantly,is it necessary for HDR to be created first before tone mapping can be done?
    What software do I need and what camera is HDR/Tone Mapping limited to?[Or do i just need a body which does multiple bracket exposure?]
    from wat i know.. tone mapping is apply when the image is generate out. you can try out photomatrix..
    Olympus E-P1 | 17mm
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by crocs View Post
    from wat i know.. tone mapping is apply when the image is generate out. you can try out photomatrix..
    How much will the software cost?
    Any rough idea?

u can download a copy of the photomatix

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

trial version.
    Olympus E-P1 | 17mm
    Flickr

Hi all

1. merges various exposures to generate something with all the details, be it highlight or shadow detail. how it turns out depends on how you do your tone mapping. there will be a slight softening of image in most cases though.

2. from what i understand, you need to generate hdr, but then again, i've seen flickr pictures where people claim that they have done tone mapping from jpg. not sure how this is done, but i suppose a similar effect could be achieved by pushing the shadow/highlight tool in photoshop, from what i've seen.

3. you can use photoshop or photomatix, both give different sorts of results, see your preference. i prefer photomatix.

4. hdr can be generated from single raw.

5. any camera can do it, even p&s, what you need to do is keep the camera in the relatively same position for all the exposures, so usually one would want a tripod to go as well.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    1. merges various exposures to generate something with all the details, be it highlight or shadow detail. how it turns out depends on how you do your tone mapping. there will be a slight softening of image in most cases though.

2. from what i understand, you need to generate hdr, but then again, i've seen flickr pictures where people claim that they have done tone mapping from jpg. not sure how this is done, but i suppose a similar effect could be achieved by pushing the shadow/highlight tool in photoshop, from what i've seen.

3. you can use photoshop or photomatix, both give different sorts of results, see your preference. i prefer photomatix.

4. hdr can be generated from single raw.

5. any camera can do it, even p&s, what you need to do is keep the camera in the relatively same position for all the exposures, so usually one would want a tripod to go as well.
    hi bro, mind sharing how to generate HDR using 1 raw image file?
    Olympus E-P1 | 17mm
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by crocs View Post
    hi bro, mind sharing how to generate HDR using 1 raw image file?
    in photomatix very easy

just open the raw file, as long as the version is compatible with your raw file it will automatically generate hdr, then you can tonemap

for photoshop , just output different ev from your raw image, save them as jpg, then merge

the trouble is, all these is "fake hdr".. will have enhanced details, dynamic range SLIGHTLY better than one jpg photo.. because raw file got more info.. but that's about it.. for more extreme tonal ranges, need more than hdr from raw

Ok how would i merge the different exposure into a single frame?[i suppose that's what they meant]
    How would i go about doing that in photoshop premier element 5?

Ok how would i merge the different exposure into a single frame?[i suppose that's what they meant]
    How would i go about doing that in photoshop premier element 5?
    sorry, don't think elements will have it

not even sure what photoshoppremierelement is

get photoshop cs 2 it will have it, and i suppose cs 3 would have kept it

alternatively, try dynamic photo hdr, just google for it and it should be the first item on the search list. it's a free program, but leaves watermark like photomatix. much less conscpicuous watermark though. unless you pay

by the way, the program will do it for you, you ahve no control, that's the problem.

if you want more natural looking results, go find out more about digital blending.. i suppose it uses layering extensively with photoshop. probably very time consuming though
    Last edited by night86mare; 20th March 2008 at 01:23 AM.

sorry, don't think elements will have it

not even sure what photoshoppremierelement is

get photoshop cs 2 it will have it, and i suppose cs 3 would have kept it

alternatively, try dynamic photo hdr, just google for it and it should be the first item on the search list. it's a free program, but leaves watermark like photomatix. much less conscpicuous watermark though. unless you pay
    Do s'pore shops carry this product?
    The idea of their watermark on the pictures irks me

Do s'pore shops carry this product?
    The idea of their watermark on the pictures irks me
    you have to download online, then pay with credit card or something

usual modus operendi for this sort of random software..

if you're talking about photoshop cs2.. ehehe, don't know if shops still carry it, but you should be able to get cs3.

you have to download online, then pay with credit card or something

usual modus operendi for this sort of random software..

if you're talking about photoshop cs2.. ehehe, don't know if shops still carry it, but you should be able to get cs3.
    CS3 costs a bomb

ok thanks for the advices

in photomatix very easy

just open the raw file, as long as the version is compatible with your raw file it will automatically generate hdr, then you can tonemap

for photoshop , just output different ev from your raw image, save them as jpg, then merge

the trouble is, all these is "fake hdr".. will have enhanced details, dynamic range SLIGHTLY better than one jpg photo.. because raw file got more info.. but that's about it.. for more extreme tonal ranges, need more than hdr from raw
    thanks for sharing
    Olympus E-P1 | 17mm
    Flickr

in photomatix very easy

I think a better way would be to use camera raw to open raw image in 16-bit mode and apply photomatix tone mapping. In this case you directly give linear intensity to the tone mapper, rather than ask adobe photomerge to _guess_ the linear intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by wuyongzheng View Post
    I think a better way would be to use camera raw to open raw image in 16-bit mode and apply photomatix tone mapping. In this case you directly give linear intensity to the tone mapper, rather than ask adobe photomerge to _guess_ the linear intensity.
    i don't even know what you are talking about

my photomatix program is separate from photoshop, it's not the plug-in.. is there even a plug-in?

sorry, not a very technical person, so long as the program does what i want it to do i'm happy, no need to go into how the program works, etc..

i don't even know what you are talking about

my photomatix program is separate from photoshop, it's not the plug-in.. is there even a plug-in?

sorry, not a very technical person, so long as the program does what i want it to do i'm happy, no need to go into how the program works, etc..
    Sorry for having confused you. I meant the photomatix photoshop plugin.

That's just my preference on single raw HDR workflow. Frankly, I have no idea how good (or bad?) is it comparing to other workflow.

How much will the software cost?
    Any rough idea?
    Current exchange rate, S$146. It is selling @ US$99

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

And yes, there is a Plug-In (For PS) and Stand-along software (Pro)
    Last edited by danmic; 21st March 2008 at 05:29 PM.
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II