Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

  1. #1

    Default Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    I'm considering factors such as refueling stations and cost of car + running cost.. I've seen adverts on newspapers but is it really as good as what it was advertised?
    With skyrocketing petrol prices, CNG seems more tempting..

    Please comments

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    No, so far only 2 refuel stations and converting is still not worth it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx View Post
    I'm considering factors such as refueling stations and cost of car + running cost.. I've seen adverts on newspapers but is it really as good as what it was advertised?
    With skyrocketing petrol prices, CNG seems more tempting..

    Please comments
    You may have to hang sign behind your bumper "Danger, Gas inside".

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash View Post
    No, so far only 2 refuel stations and converting is still not worth it.
    I dunno, Singapore is so small, if your running low, u ll be able to drive to either one of them in time I reckon. SG is perfect for these vehicles.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    consider a hybrid instead... honda 1.3 is not bad..

    CNG is really quite inconveninent unless u stay/work here a refuelling station

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    I dunno, Singapore is so small, if your running low, u ll be able to drive to either one of them in time I reckon. SG is perfect for these vehicles.
    And also to drive to refuel very OFTEN, as the tank capacity is not very big...

  7. #7
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    i'm soooo going to convert into a hybrid ... lets hope in 2009, honda will bring in more hybrids.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jurong Lake District - West
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    i'm soooo going to convert into a hybrid ... lets hope in 2009, honda will bring in more hybrids.
    25km per litre.....

    test drove the honda version...not bad..

    the batt is kept in the boot, immed behind the read seats..

    hence the boot is smaller compare to the 1.6 model

  9. #9
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernest_ted View Post
    25km per litre.....

    test drove the honda version...not bad..

    the batt is kept in the boot, immed behind the read seats..

    hence the boot is smaller compare to the 1.6 model
    ah... ok. nevermind. next year, my girl will start walking, dun need pram liao.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    CNG not worth it. I fill one CNG tank 3-4bucks, fill one petrol tank 100+ bucks, where got worth it? use petrol car lar. The inconvinence is way not worth it for the savings.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    CNG not worth it. I fill one CNG tank 3-4bucks, fill one petrol tank 100+ bucks, where got worth it? use petrol car lar. The inconvinence is way not worth it for the savings.
    Huh ?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    CNG not worth it. I fill one CNG tank 3-4bucks, fill one petrol tank 100+ bucks, where got worth it? use petrol car lar. The inconvinence is way not worth it for the savings.
    Care to elaborate, satay16?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx View Post
    I'm considering factors such as refueling stations and cost of car + running cost.. I've seen adverts on newspapers but is it really as good as what it was advertised?
    With skyrocketing petrol prices, CNG seems more tempting..

    Please comments
    Depends on u.

    There are currently 2 CNG refilling stations in Singapore - Jurong Island and Mandai, with a 3rd one coming soon at Serangoon.

    My opinion is that, unless u stay near Jurong Island or Mandai, the extra trip u have to make juz to top up gas does NOT translate to extra savings since there's the time loss factor.

    Its a different story if u stay near the refilling stations.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Thanks guys for your valuable inputs

    satay16, what is the mileage for 1 full tank of gas which cost $3-4?

    Anyway i stay in Hougang. Thus both Jurong Island and Mandai are too far for me. Unless the new Serangoon refueling station is up, it can be more convenient..

    By the way, talking about the cost of converting to CNG, I might also considering the hybrid, which also has like 7k or 8k green tax rebate from the government right? Please correct me if i'm wrong..

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    they should have a pumping station at central region near Newton or Bukit Timah.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus View Post
    consider a hybrid instead... honda 1.3 is not bad..

    CNG is really quite inconveninent unless u stay/work here a refuelling station
    Quote Originally Posted by ernest_ted View Post
    25km per litre.....

    test drove the honda version...not bad..

    the batt is kept in the boot, immed behind the read seats..

    hence the boot is smaller compare to the 1.6 model
    Probably need to consider the following if you are going for hybrid car.
    What is the battery life span and how often does it need to be replaced?
    What is the replacement cost?
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  17. #17
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    I think until there are stations islandwide, this will not really take off.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Care to elaborate, satay16?
    haha, i was being sarcastic. but what i'm trying to say is that the cost savings is humongous. i repeat, humongous. i'm not sure why so many people are saying that CNG is inconvinent as you need to find a CNG station to refill, but i haven't seen a commercial car that solely accepts CNG only(well, at least 4 months ago). basically, they all have two inputs, CNG and the normal petrol.

    in singapore, CNG is calculated by kg, not litres, litres is used in malaysia though. i pump one full tank about 20kg, around 12 bucks. travels 200km, which isn't very impressive cos my tank very small, like two scuba diving tanks like that. i said 3-4bucks in my previous post, well................ see if you want to scan fingerprint anot.

    edit: dang...... are you people going to fight with me for the queue nxt time? i always enjoyed to short queues of CNG station. one thing though, singapore CNG car refillers are inexperience. it took them 7 minutes to get it in, malaysia took a few seconds. damn scary sia, i thought the guy was going to kill us all.
    Last edited by satay16; 19th March 2008 at 07:50 PM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    1,507

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post

    in singapore, CNG is calculated by kg, not litres, litres is used in malaysia though. i pump one full tank about 20kg, around 12 bucks. travels 200km, which isn't very impressive cos my tank very small, like two scuba diving tanks like that. i said 3-4bucks in my previous post, well................ see if you want to scan fingerprint anot.
    WOW! 12 bucks 200km, thats 16.67km per dollar..

    Normal petrol 2bucks per litre, 1 litre run about 11km ... so 1 dollar only run 5.5km.. wow.. CNG is 3 times cheaper!

  20. #20
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Is it a good time to get a CNG car now?

    Are there maintenance issues with CNG?
    I'm leaning towards a hybrid for my wife to drive around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •