Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: fish'seye

  1. #1

    Default fish'seye

    HI all just a thought- Why doesnt anyone post pics w a fish eye lens?

    I see tons of macro/wideangle/snipe shots but no fisheye? i dig the convex lens babeh.
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: fish'seye

    There are shots done with FE lens on the forum. Do a search and you will find them

    Because of the unique intended distortion, it is of course less of a staple lens compared to the usual shots you see. And not everyone has a FE lens

    Ryan

  3. #3
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Hi, I had done some shots using fisheye lens. Sigma 8mm f3.5 on Canon 5D.
    For your viewing pleasure.

    Fisheye 1

    Fisheye 2
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  4. #4

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Belly nice.. as seen in the thread your pics stand out greatly against the other post's which do look a bit dry and overdone.. more fisheye action shots would be good! what lens is that btw?
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    Belly nice.. as seen in the thread your pics stand out greatly against the other post's which do look a bit dry and overdone.. more fisheye action shots would be good! what lens is that btw?
    Below is the lens info.

    Sigma 8mm Fisheye
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  6. #6

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    HI all just a thought- Why doesnt anyone post pics w a fish eye lens?

    I see tons of macro/wideangle/snipe shots but no fisheye? i dig the convex lens babeh.
    considered a "fun" lens..

    also, not easy to pull off, a lot of people do not use it properly actually.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Just a note. A 15mm FE lens is by right for use with a FF SLR/DSLR in order to fully utilise its FOV. If u're using cropped sensor SLR/DSLR, use those made specially for cropped sensors such as Sigma's 8mm or Nikon's 10.5mm.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: fish'seye

    For FF camera the 16mm is the full frame fisheye
    For crop sensor the 10.5 is the full frame fisheye

    For FF camera the 8mm is the circular fisheye
    For crop sensor the 4.5mm is the circular fisheye

    Depends on which camera you own it may vary a little.
    Currently there are a few in the market for cropped sensor.
    Nikon 10.5mm (fullframe)
    Tokina 10-17 from 3rd party (fullframe zoom)
    Sigma 4.5mm (circular)
    Soon to come Sigma 10mm (fullframe)

  9. #9

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    considered a "fun" lens..

    also, not easy to pull off, a lot of people do not use it properly actually.
    Trust you to say that.. For the perfectionist in you who has to get every shot right wont settle for anything sub-par. Now that you've 'given' up on HDR whats the new faze dood?

    hmm i saw some sample pics of the fisheye sigma 8mm.. are those black borders/vignettes around your pics on purpose? Or it comes out like that. shouldnt be right...
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

  10. #10

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Hi, I had done some shots using fisheye lens. Sigma 8mm f3.5 on Canon 5D.
    For your viewing pleasure.

    Fisheye 1

    Fisheye 2
    err sorreh i was referring to these links.. the black border around the photo!
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    err sorreh i was referring to these links.. the black border around the photo!
    It comes out like that on FF cam. I had to PP away the black portion as it is showing the lens interior.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  12. #12

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Just a note. A 15mm FE lens is by right for use with a FF SLR/DSLR in order to fully utilise its FOV. If u're using cropped sensor SLR/DSLR, use those made specially for cropped sensors such as Sigma's 8mm or Nikon's 10.5mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    hmm i saw some sample pics of the fisheye sigma 8mm.. are those black borders/vignettes around your pics on purpose? Or it comes out like that. shouldnt be right...
    Sigma 8mm wasn't made for cropped sensor. It's meant for you to get a circular image with 180 degree angle of view all round on a FF body.
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...19&navigator=4
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 18th March 2008 at 05:16 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    Trust you to say that.. For the perfectionist in you who has to get every shot right wont settle for anything sub-par. Now that you've 'given' up on HDR whats the new faze dood?

    hmm i saw some sample pics of the fisheye sigma 8mm.. are those black borders/vignettes around your pics on purpose? Or it comes out like that. shouldnt be right...
    i gave up giving up on hdr, actually.

    i don't know, i've seen so many fisheye pictures, and i dare say only 20% of them use it correctly. the samples that phoakm has provided are excellent examples of good use of the distortion. a lot of people just use the money spent to shoot funny things that are out of focus, like big nose people, etc.

    aiya, all of you get pentax la, pentax got 10-17 fisheye, quite cheap too

  14. #14

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Oh ok so for a crop body, say the 40d, and i would want a fish eye without those black borders , just the distortion, which are my viable alternatives? sankew.
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    Oh ok so for a crop body, say the 40d, and i would want a fish eye without those black borders , just the distortion, which are my viable alternatives? sankew.
    Those with the black vignetting is called a circular fisheye effect. For cropped sensors such as 40D, not much of a choice as Canon does not have a FE lens for cropped sensors.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  16. #16
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Those with the black vignetting is called a circular fisheye effect. For cropped sensors such as 40D, not much of a choice as Canon does not have a FE lens for cropped sensors.
    Sigma has a 4.5mm for cropped sensor

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Sigma has a 4.5mm for cropped sensor
    Yah but that's a full circular fisheye effect, not the regular fisheye effect in which a 15mm FE is used on a FF camera.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #18

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    Oh ok so for a crop body, say the 40d, and i would want a fish eye without those black borders , just the distortion, which are my viable alternatives? sankew.
    I don't know any offerings from Canon, Nikon has a 10.5mm. Sigma just released a 10mm fisheye for cropped sensor. http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...ital/10_28.htm

    You can also try the Tokina Fisheye Zoom 10-17/3.5-4.5. http://www.tokinalens.com/products/t...107afdx-a.html

  19. #19
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Guys, share some info read today.

    Sigma Fisheye
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  20. #20

    Default Re: fish'seye

    Or if you were using film, you could use one of the cheap Russian fish eye lenses. I used the Zenitar 16mm fish-eye for the following. Cheap and good!

    Alcatraz Prison Block


    Golden Gate Bridge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •