Thread: Water reflections

Default Water reflections

Rules of 1/3 and stuff? Where is the horizon here? Does it apply to capturing reflections in water etc? Do I take the mid-pt exactly? Or perhaps rest the plane of reflection at 3/5 height?

The first one is clearly too high.

But of the latter, which would you choose and why?

Tips and advices greatly appreciated

Default Re: Water reflections

Hi from a normal person (read as not-pro) point of view (some pro call it perspective), I would prefer the 3rd photo. Looks kinda balanced.

Actually, I also prefer the 3rd photo.
    In the first 2 photo, u seem to want to keep the entire reflections of the buildings... to me, i think it kinda lack focus.

The balance between the sky, water and buildings looks more decent on the 3rd photo.

Regards

Hmm... Is it possible to take a few steps back/change lens to capture more of the reflections as well? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by karebu View Post
    Rules of 1/3 and stuff? Where is the horizon here? Does it apply to capturing reflections in water etc? Do I take the mid-pt exactly? Or perhaps rest the plane of reflection at 3/5 height?

The first one is clearly too high.

But of the latter, which would you choose and why?

Tips and advices greatly appreciated
    Shoot in portrait format. (Sky and sea artificially recreated as illustration) In my opinion, your framing is too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by karebu View Post
    i would choose none of them.

not being too harsh, the perspective and focal length used renders too tight a feel, with parts missing.. disembodied buildings usually are not very nice

go further away, or get a wide lens.

an alternative is what lsisaxon has provided, shooting in portrait format.

as for 1/3 or 1/2, it depends on the scene, and lighting at that point in time, no one can tell you for sure. if in doubt, shoot both and decide at home