Thread: Specks on front element of lens

Default Specks on front element of lens

I can get rid of most finger print and dust specks on the lens' front element, but there under a torch light, there are still some very small specks that even the lenspen cannot get rid of. Also the lenspen seems to create very very faint smudges. Can only be seen under strong torch light though. (Actually same problem on spectacles, cdrom surface too )

Is this normal? Shouldn't be scratches right, since I've always use the blower and brush before cleaning with lenspen or some microfiber cloth.

Default Re: Specks on front element of lens

Quote Originally Posted by hvpdmg View Post
    I can get rid of most finger print and dust specks on the lens' front element, but there under a torch light, there are still some very small specks that even the lenspen cannot get rid of. Also the lenspen seems to create very very faint smudges. Can only be seen under strong torch light though. (Actually same problem on spectacles, cdrom surface too )

Is this normal? Shouldn't be scratches right, since I've always use the blower and brush before cleaning with lenspen or some microfiber cloth.
    Don't ever look at your lenses with a torch..... It will be endless.....

Haha! Ok thanks, I get the idea. Yea it's endless this way for cleaning other smooth surfaces too.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Don't ever look at your lenses with a torch..... It will be endless.....
    the other day, out of fun i put my lens under the microscope and i nearly died

there is a colony of microorganisms everywhere!

i dumped dettol and industrial cleaner on it and...

now i have no more lens

just kidding. so long as the surface is clean, you should be ok.. even if there is slight dust on the surface, it is almost never seen, even when one shoots at extreme apertures like f/32.. which you shouldn't be doing yeah, due to diffraction