Thread: The sunset today 08 June 2003

Default The sunset today 08 June 2003

Hi all....

Here is a photo taken today from my balcony. Juz came back from a long day out. Got to know a neighbour from opposite block who was outside my home taking photos of the great cloud today.

The sunset was kinda blocked by the Alto Cumulus and Nimbus clouds......but not despaired....luckily there were nice sunrays .....

Regards,
    me

nice. lovely. dont like ur black border though.

tomkruise
    Guests

it is very nice!
    I like this kind of "rays" effect. The one that i hv got at labrador wasn't as good.

was this digital or film?

neuro
    Guests

did u use any special setting to get the rays? Can share technical details please? Thanks.

tomkruise
    Guests

i think you don't need any settings.
    sometimes the sun becomes shy and would get behind the clouds, and if you are lucky, you got this natural rays effect.
    I managed to get some at labrador, but not as spectacular.

Default Just Meter on the edges of the clouds...

Hi there....

For the photo, i used a digital camera. Spot metered on the edge of the clouds to get the right exposure not to loose the rays. Well....one way is also to do a exposure bracketing to one to two stops over and below the exposure of the normal shots.

No filters was used and the photo was taken hand-held.
    The sunset on that evening was kinda nice maybe due to the fluffy cloud infront of the sun and also the haze due to smog in the area.....

Shot was taken at 7.15pm.....

There is no secret to the photo nor editing..only resized. The only thing that you need to do is to decide on where to spot meter as it is crucial to give a proper exposure while maintianing the rays.

Regards,
    Sulhan

tomkruise
    Guests

sorry, did not attach the image properly.

it is at

http://www.pbase.com/tomkruise/coolpix3100

Default Hieee.....one more thing!!!!

Hi there....

One more thing is that...ray visibility depends on your position releative to the Clouds and Sun.

Elevation does play a part in my photo as i Live at the top most floor in Queenstown area.

Rays may be present but if you are at a lower angle you may not get the colloidal effect of the sun ray..

Regards,
    me

neuro
    Guests

Thanks Sulhan and tomkruise (spelt correctly? not cruise?)!!!

since u mentioned spot metering, can explain what's the difference between evaluative, partial and centre weighted metering? which one should i use if i meter manually (esp for black and white?)

Thanks in advance.. or should i post in newbie?

neuro
    Guests

and one more thing... how come angle affects? why cannot see if at lower angle? hhehee thanks