Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are all images in such forums Digitally Sharpened?

Default Re: Are all images in such forums Digitally Sharpened?

Someone once told me that we should not rely so much on post-processing. Imagine you go out for a shoot, then come back with hundreds of pictures. Definitely all are going to be different or have different things to enhance, so you can't really use batch processing. Then even if you're a seasoned post-processor, like night86mare, who only spends 3-5min tops to enhance each photo, hundreds of photos would equate to hours at the computer. So this someone gave me great advice that I have tried to implement ever since: to take the best shot everytime.

Of course, I know there will be times when circumstances do not allow the best outcome, which is where PP comes in. But generally, my pictures are not post-processed. Some are, but most aren't. Obviously, you have to post-process IR shots and panoramas la... so that doesn't count. Haha!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Someone once told me that we should not rely so much on post-processing. Imagine you go out for a shoot, then come back with hundreds of pictures. Definitely all are going to be different or have different things to enhance, so you can't really use batch processing. Then even if you're a seasoned post-processor, like night86mare, who only spends 3-5min tops to enhance each photo, hundreds of photos would equate to hours at the computer. So this someone gave me great advice that I have tried to implement ever since: to take the best shot everytime.
    to confess, i usually have my shutter count go up by 100-200 every time i go out.

but i bring home about 20. then i keep about 5 one other thing that is a good habit is to dump compositionally weak photos immediately, then pick the best shot out of many shots of the same scene. there isn't really much point in keeping 5 photos of the same thing and post processing all of them, i feel. i think it's a pretty good habit to ensure quality control of whatever you eventually post up.. although my pretty bad habit of actually doing the deleting during shooting is a no no.. i sometimes end up missing good moments/light which are fleeting.

agree with night86mare bro..

i think sorting through the 100+ shots taken during the day.. and eye those that have potential (while dumping those that are compositionally or technically weak) is a good exercise too to improve one's judgment for future shoots..

if i can get like 5 to 10 real keepers (before or after processing) during every outing i'd be very pleased already..

that'll be like a "10% success rate".. =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12