Thread: DSLT in USA Adventure Theme Parks

Default DSLT in USA Adventure Theme Parks

hi

i will be makin a trip to USA this coming June and will be bringing my DSLR along. The setup with be just ONE kit lens with the body. Part of my trip i will be at adventure theme parks, like California Adventure and 6 Flags etc. Parks with really scary roller coaster rides.

This is my first time to such theme parks and i am concerned about bring my DSLR along. You see, most likely i will carry a backpack to house my camera and other stuff and i do know that we will be strapped real securely into the seats of the rides. So my main concern is that-will my camera backpack hamper with the harness of these rides?

The last thing i want is that i cannot be strapped into the seats as i cannot carry my backpack along while on the rides. And i cannot pass my backpack to anyone else as only me and my wife are going and its suicidal to ask her carry my backpack while i take the rides myself

So anyone will experience with such trips can advise me?

Default Re: DSLR in USA Adventure Theme Parks

Since most of the time you'll be on foot, I recommend you don't carry too much. Also, some of the better rides require you to leave your bag at the platform because they involve high G turns or upside down loops.

If you're getting a day pass and are staying near the park, it would be a good idea to get in all the rides first, then go back and pick up your cam and spend the remainder time shooting.

Summertime is nice in California. Try to visit Yosemite or even Death Valley if you can, the kind of beautiful you see there is the hair stand-up kind. Bring a polarizer for your lens.
    Last edited by HougangMan; 16th March 2008 at 10:45 PM.
    Canon 5Dm2/17-40f4/24-70f2.8/24-105f4IS/70-200f2.8IS/85f1.2/100f2.8M/135f2
    Gallery

Default Re: DSLT in USA Adventure Theme Parks

dude if u'r plannin to go for e theme rides .. i suggest dont even bring anything. cuz u wont hav time to shoot. go n enjoy e rides fully. not sure wat's e season now but if u do it durin summer e queue is super long.

u normally have to park ur bag somewhere cuz they wont allow u to carry ur bag onboard e rides

Actually that was my fear, not allow to bring my bags on the rides. but at least now my fears are confirmed. thanks guys.

i will be visiting in June, think the queue will be a killer but what to do

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    Actually that was my fear, not allow to bring my bags on the rides. but at least now my fears are confirmed. thanks guys.

thanks
    Go enjoy other things lah.. dun go squeeze with the locals who are having their summer vacation Jun-Sep. The rides might scare the sh*t out of you (I am not a very adventure person, din go California Adventure after seeing the kind of ride). I think some of the disneyland rides are already exciting enough. Seriously, bad time to go because of the summer vacation. There is a chance you may end up queuing just for 1 ride the entire day or maybe 2 (one fastpass while you queue for another).
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 18th March 2008 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post

thanks
    Believe it or not... I was in the Six Flags in LA two summers ago.. and from 9am to 4pm... I did 4 or 5 good rides.... that was it.... the queue is going to be a killer
    Last edited by ajneo; 18th March 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: update

i was in US twice, first time went to california adventure / disneyland. second time went to Six Flag Magic Mountains. Here's my personal advise.

the rides in california adventure are slight more exciting than disneyland. launched freefall, hollywood towers and such. Disneyland is more of phototaking for sure. i'm not sure if they still have it now but they used to have an electric parade at California adventure, about 8pm. lots of lights, floats and such. after the light show, rush over to disneyland for the nightly fireworks. highly recommend that you take your DSLR along.

Six flag magic mountains will be more of a extreme coaster theme park. u can find the whole range of coasters here, from more thean 26 storeys drop coasters, stand up coasters, suspended coasters to traditional coasters. i prob tried about 10 rides and gave up on 1 extreme ride after queuing for almost 2 hrs. most of the rides here will require u to deposit ur loose items before you ride. u'll be better off with a P&S that fits into your pocket. i end up only taking 1 pic in magic mountain only.