Thread: Dust in my lens?

Default Dust in my lens?

I have a problem with my lens, when I use a small aperture (approx f22) I see dust specks on the image. It does not show when I use large apertures, and it doesn't seem to go off even when I wiped both sides of the lens using cloth.

I guess it's time to send for cleaning? Seems to me like there's dust trapped inside...

Default Re: Dust in my lens?

The dust specks are on the sensor.....

Wink Re: Dust in my lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Elgaris View Post
    I have a problem with my lens, when I use a small aperture (approx f22) I see dust specks on the image. It does not show when I use large apertures, and it doesn't seem to go off even when I wiped both sides of the lens using cloth.

I guess it's time to send for cleaning? Seems to me like there's dust trapped inside...
    Go for cleaning @ CSC or NSC...
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

When it's only viewable at small apertures, it's a sensor issue.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Oh damn.

How much will it cost?

Oh damn.

How much will it cost?
    Before you do so...don;t yo uhave another lens to put on youru camera body to check to see if you still see the same speck of dust is still showing up? No use sending your lens to Nikon to clean and then find out the speck is still there and then it stands to reason that the speck was on your camera's sensore afterall. Sending it in is not cheap. I have not done so in a while so maybe the rest would know but should be more then $50 and less the $100 if all it needed was some cleaning. So imagine if you send in the wrong component and have to pay twice. The other way would be to bring the entire camera and lens in...ask them to do a check for you to see which is at fault so you only pay for either one.

Hm, I'm borrowing a blower from my friend to see if I can remove the specks myself, if it fails, I think I'll borrow a lens from a friend to check, thanks for the help everyone!

By the way I'm a Canon user.

Hm, I'm borrowing a blower from my friend to see if I can remove the specks myself, if it fails, I think I'll borrow a lens from a friend to check, thanks for the help everyone!

By the way I'm a Canon user.
    Buy 1 blower lah...
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

Tried my friend's... I guess I really need to buy one :P

I got myself a blower, used it over and over again, however there are still some stubborn spots when I take photographs at high aperature. I have no idea what's the problem again... hopefully I can find a lens to try out and check if it's the camera or lens...

Do you have other lens to try on? If no, I think you can borrow from your friends to shoot again. My lens also has dust but I think it is unavoidable.

For my case, it does not affect my image (Dust on lens).

Just to add, my sensor is a little dirty, the dirt spot would appear on my photo.
    Let's get rolling :)

Quote Originally Posted by AxeLa View Post
    Buy 1 blower lah...
    I think you will also need a set of cleaning equipment from lens tissue, cleaning solution, speck grabber, cleaning cloth, etc.... a basic for anyone with a SLR/DSLR. Equipment need to be maintained regularly.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

I got myself a blower, used it over and over again, however there are still some stubborn spots when I take photographs at high aperature. I have no idea what's the problem again... hopefully I can find a lens to try out and check if it's the camera or lens...
    Blower is not enough. You need to clean with solution and lens tissue.

1) First you clean the mirror, internal focusing screen and viewfinder. Look through viewfinder. If no dust spot, proceed to next step. If have, clean some more and then proceed to next step.

2) Next you take out the lens, clean it. Put it back on, look through viewfinder to see if there are anything on it. Take a test shot, of a plain background. Examine the image for any dust spot. If don't have, means its on the lens, and you have cleaned it off already. If have, means its on the sensor.

3) clean the sensor at your own risk, I use a speck grabber, which helps to attract dust from the surface. be very gentle. Else send it for cleaning.

At all times, please do the cleaning very gently and carefully, else you may leave more damage than the dust spots on your camera.

Another thing is that you will need to do this regularly, like once a month. In fact, do it as often as you can.

Hope this helps. Please note that you do this at your own risk....

Wah I don't dare to clean the sensor, never mind I'll try to find out if the dust is solely on the sensor, thanks!

ermm..where to buy all those stuff with reasonable price arh? i'm a newbie ^^
    and also, i found a tiny white spot inside the lens. cannot see anything when i check the picture but then very irritating leh...

Quote Originally Posted by rayndropz View Post
    ermm..where to buy all those stuff with reasonable price arh? i'm a newbie ^^
    and also, i found a tiny white spot inside the lens. cannot see anything when i check the picture but then very irritating leh...
    I get them from CP. You can try the other camera shops...

If your camera or lens stillunder warranty, you can go back to the service centre for free servicing.

tks for sharing (:
    is there any cleaning service apart from nikon SC itself?

tks for sharing (:
    If using Nikon, the official centre is the NSC. Each brand got its own service centre. I am not sure about other official or unofficial third party service centre. perhaps the nikon website should have some. For instance, in London, UK. Nikon has an official 3rd party service centre there.

tks for sharing (:
    How about our friendly CS repair guy Fatigue
    Can give ur cam a good scrub

Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 9th April 2008 at 07:43 AM.