Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Singaporeans cannot move far

Default Re: Why Singaporeans cannot move far

Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    I remember this silence sky nick...
    Hmmm.. You look very familar.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    aiya that's called lazy...was it harrod's?
    actually, no, harrod's service is not too bad

was some clothing store called firetrap, don't think many would have heard of it

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Because you are non-white?
    maybe not yandao enough la

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    2. If it was me, I'd have carried on shooting, see whether they value their policy enough to refund my $$ and eject me from the restaurant.

3. If they did that, a Youtube video of this would be great.

4. If they did not believe enough in their policy, then that would say something about the restaurant manager too.
    That would be something worth trying.

OOPS, hang on, I've done that repeatedly already (the continue to shoot part that is, not direct in your face defiance), and still got smiles form the staff.

"This country is sick, the people are sick from not knowing how to provide good service and thinking out of the box, how powerful word of mouth marketing is."

How does the issue you have with the store not allowing photography have anything to do with how singapore cannot go far? Please don't confuse the two things with a sweeping statement.

If you think we cannot provide good service then you obviously haven't been to other countries where service is the pits
    I think the service could IMPROVE but most of the time it's pretty darn good compared to what I've had to deal with overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Because you are non-white?
    No. That happens when you choose to fit into their stereotyping.
    A camera cannot teach you how to see.

OT abit i think..but i don't think they can move very far as well =p but they have $$

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4417183a12.html
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy View Post
    the environment is wonderful
    Ugh. Do you mean the rapidly growing concrete seal or all the litter and hazardous waste dumped indiscriminately?

It seems to be lying on one factor, Singaporeans (just like you and me)cannot think out of the box.
    I'm not sure if you can generalize this from your single incident. Just as typical as bad service, I could argue, is the general disrespect and poor behavior of customers, and the "I want everything exactly my way without having to consider how it affects others, and if I don't get it I complain" mentality.

Where I wholeheartedly agree is that many S'poreans don't want/dare to think out of the box. Rather, they erect walls and compartmentalize themselves voluntarily. Singapore is a small island where everything is within easy reach, yet people ask "anyone from XYZ New town? - Let's start a list" - "Hey, I'm in XY Avenue 7, who else?" - "I'm in block 321A let's start a block 321A user group!" - "Who else has a Canolta 321Mk7 with serial numbers divisible by 23 and a Sigron 87.25mm/3.75 lens? - Please enter your name in the list." - "Anyone else from Bukit Gorblok secondary school?" - Etc. etc.

I can only assume that many people are mortally afraid of an unrestricted horizon and the uncertainties that come with it. Maybe they fear to arrive at a view not sanctioned by "the authorities".

The fear of doing something unapproved can lead to the strangest results, including an insistence of sticking to standard operating procedures rather than using one's brain. Last week, we had a problem of getting goods delivered from a supplier: we ordered according to catalog price, but were eligible for a 5% discount. No way they could send us the goods and just bill less - we had to issue a revised purchase order, indicating the lower price, to get around their mental blockade.

i prefer to think that "singapore cannot go far" because people are not able to think logically and rationally and make wild leaps of logic to link a restaraunt's no photography policy with the country's economic future.

i just went to a nice restaurant (the chef actually beat the Iron Chef) with a couple of friends, and I brought my camera + flash along. However, I wasn't sure if I wanted to use the flash because it would spoil the ambience and might irritate other customers. after all, they paid good money as well. so i took some photos without the flash, and it was obvious that the photos were for friends. the staff didn't have a problem with that at all, but reminded me to respect the privacy of the other guests. they said it in a nice friendly manner and no offense was taken at all. we had a great time that night.

so that could be the reason why some restaurants have a no photography policy.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    actually, no, harrod's service is not too bad

was some clothing store called firetrap, don't think many would have heard of it
    what you described happens everywhere so can't really use that to generalize a country's standard of service

Arrow Re: Why Singaporeans cannot move far

We've restricted land and airspace.

HTH.

Why Singaporeans cannot move far

Go ahead and bang table for "Photographers Rights".

I believe that's pretty much outta the box thinking since Singaporeans are generally non-confrontational (except those who believe in this so-called 'Human Rights').

We all lament about "The Ang Mor" able to snap photos with ease, food and scenery without being stopped by security.
    Now how abt we go overseas and be "The Tourist" instead? Simple solution to solve your problem and u don't have to squeeze ur balls simply because u missed a photo opportunity here.

Next time, take along your name/calling card... when they stop you, whip out your card and offer your services...

Who knows you might do the next Ya Kun ad. Hahahahahah!!!!

Anyway, this whole no photography thing is blown out of proportion. Won't a terrorist use a P&S with a big zoom instead of a DSLR?? Its not like you can plan an attack by taking pictures of Kaya and Toast.... Geez.....

The rights of a tax-paying citizen to take photos anywhere, anytime and anyhow should be respected by the security guards, waiters, shopkeepers etc.

The anger and frustration of the law-abidding photography-loving populace cannot be ignored and swept under the carpet anymore.

Their voice must be heard.

Let's support CNPP (Canon & Nikon Progressive Party) for total photo-shooting freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    maybe not yandao enough la

I've thought you have a bit of Edison type of Yandao.

photographer rights is all well and good but u need to see what kind of society this is: which is largely conservative and conservative societies tend to be much more touchy about public photography not just singapore itself. keep that in mind b4 sounding that particular clarion...

Not trying to defend any companies in any countries, they stop people from taking picture in their premises basically because of commercial reason. They can't tell if you are spying for their competitor, that simple.

I visited many countries and many companies, I audit the installation of our equipment sold to these companies and I have to take pictures. Even I was accompanied by their head office staff, I alway get permission from the respective outlets to take photo of the setup only, nothing else within their premises. Many a time, before I can speak to the outlet manager about taking pictures, the security staff will stop me when they saw me holding a camera inside the store.

Instead of complaining, why can't we just respect their right and please don't give sweeping statement, it just show what you are.
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

When u r in other people's premises then u had to respect and ack their rules/rights.
    It's just like a chinese who bring pork to muslim place or country even though pple say cannot already.......so is the chinese in the wrong or does he had the right to do it?

As for Singapore customer service.......I had nothing to give but
    Go n visit other countries.....hardly any are better than us

It's not the others who differ from us......it's us who differ from the others If u really like to take the pic, just ask with a smile n allow them to c wat u took.....I done it a number of times n it's works!!
    Last edited by Getz10; 16th March 2008 at 03:02 PM.
    Minolta 7D Noob
    WWW.TERRYCHUA.COM

Double standards.

Like how more than once I was standing at a counter waiting to be served, then an angmoh stands behind me in the queue. Suddenly out of no where all the sales staff came forward and suddenly I became invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Double standards.

Like how more than once I was standing at a counter waiting to be served, then an angmoh stands behind me in the queue. Suddenly out of no where all the sales staff came forward and suddenly I became invisible.
    I think it's because we are not as tall as Ang Moh.

Ask any SPG.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast