Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's about the equipment - Stupid

Default Re: It's about the equipment - Stupid

Sin77, some (not all - I don't usually make universal statements) posters believe that it doesn't matter which camera the photographer uses, so long as it is a good photographer.

They simply use that golden one-liner to put down other posters who like to discuss equipment, without considering that better equipment helps the photographer do help in one way or another.

And I am not referring to the holiday or birthday party snapshots. Then again, people can use good cameras for whole lots of reasons. I have a colleague who purchased a DSLR to take pictures of his toddler. Is the extravagant or superfluous?

Neither. The reason for the DSLR is that the startup time and shutter lag is lesser than a compact. Yes, one may consider that the slight difference is inconsequential. But my colleague has enough missed opportunities, when the baby starts walking or starts to utter coherent words, to decide to buy a DSLR. If he had one then, he MAY have captured these moments.

Surely I would consider such pictures as good pictures. Good pictures are not only about technicalities such as accurate focusing or metering. Good pictures can also evoke emotions. If a picture can stir feelings within the viewer after it is taken, it can be a good picture. To h*ll with composition, white balance and stuff.

Still, there are people who have DSLRs but who dont even know what 17-55 stands for. I heard it myself.

I didn't miss the point. At least, I don't believe I did.

I am saying that better equipment helps in some way or another. I also readily admit that some with no skills or imagination whatsoever is unlikely to improve his pictures, even if he uses the flagship model.

What I am against are those one-liners that puts all things good only to the photographer, to the exclusivity of equipment, without any apparent regard to the role that such items can play.
    Last edited by acpical; 16th March 2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Clarification

Having all those expensive is indeed an ego booster
    Who Dares Wins!

Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    Sin77, some (not all - I don't usually make universal statements) posters believe that it doesn't matter which camera the photographer uses, so long as it is a good photographer.

They simply use that golden one-liner to put down other posters who like to discuss equipment, without considering that better equipment helps the photographer do help in one way or another.

And I am not referring to the holiday or birthday party snapshots. Then again, people can use good cameras for whole lots of reasons. I have a colleague who purchased a DSLR to take pictures of his toddler. Is the extravagant or superfluous?

Neither. The reason for the DSLR is that the startup time and shutter lag is lesser than a compact. Yes, one may consider that the slight difference is inconsequential. But my colleague has enough missed opportunities, when the baby starts walking or starts to utter coherent words, to decide to buy a DSLR. If he had one then, he MAY have captured these moments.

Surely I would consider such pictures as good pictures. Good pictures are not only about technicalities such as accurate focusing or metering. Good pictures can also evoke emotions. If a picture can stir feelings within the viewer after it is taken, it can be a good picture. To h*ll with composition, white balance and stuff.

Still, there are people who have DSLRs but who dont even know what 17-55 stands for. I heard it myself.

I didn't miss the point. At least, I don't believe I did.

I am saying that better equipment helps in some way or another. I also readily admit that some with no skills or imagination whatsoever is unlikely to improve his pictures, even if he uses the flagship model.

What I am against are those one-liners that puts all things good only to the photographer, to the exclusivity of equipment, without any apparent regard to the role that such items can play.
    actually equipment does matter to the experts (i am not), but provided he/she makes use of the good features/specs. I suppose the one-liner ppl (not me) just want to tell the equipment collectors not to spend unneccessarily but to concentrate on improving the skills? But if ppl see a need to buy good camera (like your fren), it is definitely worth the investment.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

I have sometimes wondered if the photographer's confidence is boosted when he thinks he is using better equipment and therefore will produce better pictures.

This leads to him actually producing better photos in the end?

What if the he THINKS the equipment is better but it actually isn't aka placebo effect? Will his photos get better?
    I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    I have sometimes wondered if the photographer's confidence is boosted when he thinks he is using better equipment and therefore will produce better pictures.

This leads to him actually producing better photos in the end?

What if the he THINKS the equipment is better but it actually isn't aka placebo effect? Will his photos get better?
    I wonder
    i think very subjective and might be true or not true, depending on how u compare.

Anyway, another issue come to mind.
    Do u think the photographer should standby better equipment or extra accessories just in case he/she needs it? For eg i havent start to use my ND8 which i bought some time alrdy.

Nice discussing with you ppl, i am going out to shoot my IR photos liao...
    the sun just came out....hehehe
    Last edited by sin77; 16th March 2008 at 02:42 PM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

well i guess the only real way to get really good pictures is to actually go out and take them =)
    let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by gangeslim View Post
    well i guess the only real way to get really good pictures is to actually go out and take them =)
    let's go!
    you hit the right note

there's nothing wrong with equipment talk really, but if it's just all equipment talk and no results (i.e. no picture) it's really just no action talk only. this forum is as good as everyone here wants it to be. if we end up with most people only wanting to talk about equipment and very few people actually going out to walk the talk, this forum will also become no action talk only.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Yesss.... now I can justify buying a Leica!!!! Woohoo!!!
    a leica can give u better shots than what you already have?

good also lah....u can pass me your feds/zorkis/etc after u get ur leica.

ultimately,

there is nothing wrong with hoarding a camera. People collect coins, stamps, jewellery, LV bags, etc, etc, etc. What is wrong with collecting cameras?

Everyone knows buying an expensive DSLRs doesn't make you a photographer. Nobody is going to claim otherwise. How many of the uncles inside those sport cars you see in Singapore roads are professional racers?

People buy things for their own reasons.... compared to a sports car.... a DSLR is literally a peanut.
    Last edited by wind30; 16th March 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    i got a fren showed off to me how great his camera is... especially it is so expensive. And he shot great stuffs, overseas scenic landscapes, etc.
    But end of the day nothing fantastic. I can shoot the same thing using a prosumer which is so much cheaper.
    errr... I hope I am not "your friend"....

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    ultimately,

there is nothing wrong with hoarding a camera. People collect coins, stamps, jewellery, LV bags, etc, etc, etc. What is wrong with collecting cameras?

Everyone knows buying an expensive DSLRs doesn't make you a photographer. Nobody is going to claim otherwise. How many of the uncles inside those sport cars you see in Singapore roads are professional racers?

People buy things for their own reasons.... compared to a sports car.... a DSLR is literally a peanut.
    just because got reasons, doesn't mean that no one has a right to criticize anyone's choices, right?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    just because got reasons, doesn't mean that no one has a right to criticize anyone's choices, right?
    yea dun we jus love our vistaquest bro?
    haha

Here's KR's response... March 13th entry...
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

People from both camps were just taken out of context conveniently in the midst of justifying their own courses. I haven't actually seen someone objecting to the fact that long lenses are needed for photographing wildlife or movement cameras are essential for photographing buildings.

There's a difference between using the right stuff and chasing the latest and greatest blatantly and the much discussed "its not about the stuff you use" usually arises in response to the latter. Amongst these criticism on those being critical, someone will benefit from it. Just a matter of admitting or being quiet about it.

I appreciate the fact that some went into photography(if you can still call that photography) solely to curb the temptation of buying something to play with. In these cases, a camera. What I find most absurd is the blame game they start after finding out that with all the money they spent, they still can't take photos for S.H.I.T. and the hunt for the next great begins.

Some spent money to feel good and its their money so naturally, their funeral. Does it matter if they didn't have the slightest idea what they were buying? Well to a handful, they matter but they do provide some welcomed sources of entertainment after a long day at work.
    Last edited by Kit; 16th March 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Both matters.....

F1 drivers wouldn't win races while driving a HONDA during a F1 race.... neither could an Avg Joe win the race just because he/she is behind the wheel of a F1......

The correct equipment DOES help to improve photo taking...... but things like composure, artistic value.... etc, comes from one's self and is learn by lots of practice.

My 2 cents worth.
    yah, see what happens to Alonso during qualifying while driving Renault? He was the title challenger driving Mclarens last season...

I have a good laugh after reading it. But, to a certain extend... is up to what any individual wants to achieve in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    yah, see what happens to Alonso during qualifying while driving Renault? He was the title challenger driving Mclarens last season...
    and I see no one remembered he won 2 titles with Renault before moving to McLaren.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    and I see no one remembered he won 2 titles with Renault before moving to McLaren.....
    the renaults (R25/R26) he drove during those 2 yrs and the renault (R28) now are different....he himself oso commented "the team is working hard, pushing the development of the car and I hope that we will be able to fight for many podiums and even race wins."

"It is well known that the team had problems with the wind tunnel at the beginning of 2007, but those difficulties have been solved now, and I would say that the biggest improvement with the R28 is with the aerodynamics, which is a key area to improve performance."

he used to be able to fight for race win, now he needs to fight for podium...u say lei? one year is hell lot of difference in F1...

car cannot make it means cannot make it, its that brutal in F1. think back to Jacques Villeneuve, 1997 Driver World Champion, did he win anymore titles after that with a string of CMI teams?
    Last edited by coolsigg; 16th March 2008 at 08:29 PM.

he used to be able to fight for race win, now he needs to fight for podium...u say lei?
    So is Räikkönen.

Heidfeld came in 2nd in a Toyota. U say lei?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    So is Räikkönen.

Heidfeld came in 2nd in a Toyota. U say lei?
    u can get lucky in 1 or 2 races and end up on podium, that has happened many times before. Kimi had a mechanical issue during qualifying...F1 is about the machine n driver over 18 races...Taken in the context of Alonso's comments, he is talking about challenging for the whole season...u don't depend on others to crash or suffer failures and hand u the positions...

my position is that equipment matters, Alonso in this year's Renault would be hard pressed to challenge the Ferrari and McLaren...
    Last edited by coolsigg; 16th March 2008 at 08:55 PM.

my position is that equipment matters, Alonso in this year's Renault would be hard pressed to challenge the Ferrari and McLaren...
    Again, refer my 1st message in this thread. Not trying to deny equipment is important but to make your equipment work for you, you first have to know how to use it well and make it work to your advantage. Otherwise, its useless thinking time and again, better stuff can make you better. That's the truth. It hurts but its still the truth.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast