Thread: If i going to kelong with DSLR, What protection or things i need to take note?

Default If i going to kelong with DSLR, What protection or things i need to take note?

Like need Drybox? i am going like 3 days..

the humidity is always ard 94%~
    *~EDMW behkan Photography club~* Visit My Gallery!

Default Re: If i going to kelong with DSLR, What protection or things i need to take note?

3 days, if you are going to shoot a lot, putting in drybox also waste time if you get what i mean

just keep your camera away from the water, especially if it's seawater

after the trip, wipe it down with a damp cloth

Default Re: If i going to kelong with DSLR, What protection or things i need to take note?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    3 days, if you are going to shoot a lot, putting in drybox also waste time if you get what i mean

just keep your camera away from the water, especially if it's seawater

after the trip, wipe it down with a damp cloth
    yeah..agree..just avoid contact with saltwater..n have a lens that u think u will mostly use on the body always..avoid changing lens on kelong.. have fun bro!
    G-Collector

Quote Originally Posted by DewaKarma View Post
    yeah..agree..just avoid contact with saltwater..n have a lens that u think u will mostly use on the body always..avoid changing lens on kelong.. have fun bro!
    roger tt!! =)

i think i will put some silicon packs in my lowepro bag.. even thou won't do much.. hahax

mmm can continue to post.. if u guys got better suggestion!

OT abit. where can I buy silicon packs ah? is it only those camera shops then got sell ah?

Dearboy87, maybe u can bring along a Thirsty Hippo with u to kelong. (not sure if that's a good idea.)

Sea salt on the cam is inevitable. Like what others say, the usual wiping at the end of the day should be a good practice. Try not to change the lenses too often. I think a camera bag should be enough, no need a dry box, the dry box won't help u remove the salt anyway.

Not sure if this is the case, but if the dSLR is going to give u much trouble maintaining it throughout those days, u might be better off bringing compact cameras instead. Your dSLR should not be a burden, it should be a complement to the trip.

Have fun!
    cameras are not made of tofu

Dearboy87

Will u be posting any catch reports?

Let me know which forum
    Last edited by cichlid; 14th March 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Most of given their suggestions, just 3 days should be fine... Don't be too paranoid about moisture and such... your camera is your tool, use it to the fullest!!

If you're still feeling paranoid, keep your stuff in your camera bag at night and put one of these flat-packed thirsty hippo into your camera bags,
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Dearboy87

Will u be posting any catch reports?

Let me know which forum
    my friend trying to get to the person incharge of the kelong.. but somehow, only one reply in the afternoon.. den no more le..

so still waitin for the incharge confirmation..

definitely will post catch! will be posting in hwz EDMW photography thread~ if i manage to go there =D

Quote Originally Posted by hlw8888 View Post
    OT abit. where can I buy silicon packs ah? is it only those camera shops then got sell ah?

Dearboy87, maybe u can bring along a Thirsty Hippo with u to kelong. (not sure if that's a good idea.)
    i think so.. i got one big bottle of silica gel... so thinking of puting them to good use..

not too sure where can get.. maybe i go try find out tml~

Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    Sea salt on the cam is inevitable. Like what others say, the usual wiping at the end of the day should be a good practice. Try not to change the lenses too often. I think a camera bag should be enough, no need a dry box, the dry box won't help u remove the salt anyway.

Not sure if this is the case, but if the dSLR is going to give u much trouble maintaining it throughout those days, u might be better off bringing compact cameras instead. Your dSLR should not be a burden, it should be a complement to the trip.

Have fun!
    yea! maybe i will go there with fujifilm F31FD~~

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Most of given their suggestions, just 3 days should be fine... Don't be too paranoid about moisture and such... your camera is your tool, use it to the fullest!!

If you're still feeling paranoid, keep your stuff in your camera bag at night and put one of these flat-packed thirsty hippo into your camera bags,
    i nv see this before! care to share where u gotten it? ntuc?

If you're going to kelong, make sure you dun get caught.

If kena caught, make sure your DSLR strap to you tight tight so when you run away it doesn't fall off.

That's all the protection I can think of right now. O ya, bring passport.

Sorry, couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Dearboy87 View Post
    i nv see this before! care to share where u gotten it? ntuc?
    Yes, I got this from NTUC fairprice, I think you can find this in Cold Storage too
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Which kelong are you heading?

I went to a Kelong near Sibu Island last holiday with my canon 30D. Took alot of photos of catch. Also chance to shoot sea gull flying just above our heads. I brought my 70-200 F4L and the 17 - 85mm IS. Regret not bringing my tripod as the sunrise was quite nice. So end up propping camera on poll in a harazdous manner. Still got some decent shots.

Camera and lenses were still OK, of course some wipe down needed at end of day.
    I brought along two large ziglog bags and put the camera, long lens inside when not in use.
    This was also important as the sea trip to and fro the Kelong was quite rough with water splashing everywhere and journey took us about 1 hour.
    5DMKIiI|24-105f4L|50f1.4|70-200f2.8L|400f5.6L
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymond101/

I had been to a kelong just off Tekong in Malaysian waters around Chinese new year period at 06 or 05. Basically,I feel that just normal waterproof camera bag and some ziploc bags is ok if you are just having a couple of days trip in case it gets wet from sea spray during the bumboat trip and if the weather gets stormy. Of course it will not give much protection if you drop it into the sea. Bring some warm clothings as it gets very very cold around 4am till daybreak.
    Last edited by cairocks; 21st March 2008 at 05:01 PM.