Thread: My attempt in AIDS awareness photo competition

Default My attempt in AIDS awareness photo competition

Dear all, I've just submitted a photo to the competition

Thanks.
    Last edited by eikin; 16th March 2008 at 12:20 PM.

Default Re: My attempt in AIDS awareness photo competition

well, i dont think you have ever used a condom before have you? the bubble at the tip of the banana, not safe.

but the idea has a comical effect, made me laugh.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Good concept.

IMHO, the condom should cover the whole banana fully as that's the correct method of wearing one. Wearing it halfway might cause it to drop off accidentally.

The background would be better if it's white as now the black areas of the rotten banana seems to blend with the background losing it's impact. Best if the yellow juice of the banana can been seen oozing from the rotten banana. Will add more impact to it.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    well, i dont think you have ever used a condom before have you? the bubble at the tip of the banana, not safe.

but the idea has a comical effect, made me laugh.

Yaya, I never use it before, first time buying it from the shop just for shooting, so nervous...really messy with it since it is so oily..washed it many times with soup, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Good concept.

IMHO, the condom should cover the whole banana fully as that's the correct method of wearing one. Wearing it halfway might cause it to drop off accidentally.

The background would be better if it's white as now the black areas of the rotten banana seems to blend with the background losing it's impact. Best if the yellow juice of the banana can been seen oozing from the rotten banana. Will add more impact to it.
    Hi, thanks, I'll try the white background when I free. Hmm, yellow juice seems to be a good idea, , will let the rotten banana to further rotten for a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by DeWei View Post
    Hi, thanks, I'll try the white background when I free. Hmm, yellow juice seems to be a good idea, , will let the rotten banana to further rotten for a few days...

Cool.. just dun mind the smell and the fruit flies.. kekeke

Some food for thought

Aims of the competition -
    -Help more people get a better understanding of the nature of the disease and its prevention.
    -Encourage more people to be tolerant and show compassion towards the victims of the disease and their families.

How does this picture fulfill these aims?
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

Thanks for the input peapilot, ya loh my photo seems not parallel with the aims of the competition, sigh sigh.

on the countary, i think it fullfills 1 aim... thats the prevention

But i think its too "focus" on the "How not to get aids and become like that". I think the competition is trying to gain public sympathy for those whom have aids...

Like children born with it and such... thats what this world is going towards... i think they have more or less given up trying to stop people from *****ing around already...
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

dude maybe u can try getting the flavored ones which are colored, eg strawberry flavor which is reddish-pink makes the sheath stands out more.

PROTECTION come to my mind when i see it
    :devil:Flick Her

Sorry double posting. Actual reply below.
    Last edited by Jeronleow; 19th March 2008 at 06:03 AM.
    Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM, pending BG-E2N grip and Speedlite 580EX-II flash

Since it is AIDS "Awareness", I think the photo is good due to the fact that those who do not have AIDS should be aware and prevent it. Those who got it due to fooling around don't really deserve my sympathy but DeWei did show sympathy with the red ribbon at the bottom of the rotten banana. Since AIDS has no cure, prevention is the only way. Good concept DeWei! My gf think its good and she is a Visual Communication student from NAFA.

PS. To show sympathy to the kids who get it genetically and not their fault, you may want to tie a red ribbon to a smaller half rotten banana hehehe
    Last edited by Jeronleow; 19th March 2008 at 06:09 AM.
    Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM, pending BG-E2N grip and Speedlite 580EX-II flash

Does that mean that there are only two groups of PLHIVs? People who get it through fooling around and kids who get it from their "wayward" parents?

BTW HIV is not "genetically transmitted".
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

Seriously do you think it is easy to have alllll the different kind of AIDS included in a single picture? What I was refering to are the more common ones. If he was to include all the different types then his picture would have to include a plain donut and a rotten donut hehehe.

Yeah I know I just duno how to describe. Only know how to call it genetically hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    Some food for thought

Aims of the competition -
    -Help more people get a better understanding of the nature of the disease and its prevention.
    -Encourage more people to be tolerant and show compassion towards the victims of the disease and their families.

How does this picture fulfill these aims?
    i agree with peapilot... it would be good to show the human side of AIDS, perhaps with compassion... or the opposite: the intolerance of people towards AIDS patients.

i feel that the people who got AIDS and are sorry about it, deserve compassion.

It is those who do not have AIDS and are recklessly living their lives visiting prostitutes, condom or not; they're the ones you should be harsh to in order to get them to wake up. Before it's too late.

Harsh = unfunny plain truth... just my 2 cents.

Really great concept & ideas....
    But the arrangement of the bananas seem quite messy...
    Everything is too dark...try use condom of different colours (maybe pink or blue) coz it's hard to notice there is a condom on the banana...
    But it was a smart concept though.... nice...

PS: I will think twice before eating a banana now...hahaha (joke only)