Thread: Anyone tried the Asus Eee PC ?

Default Anyone tried the Asus Eee PC ?

My dad was looking for a small portable solution to bring around the household to surf net and watch his stocks and stuffs. ( he is retired by the way ) My reception was kinda poor since my router is in the second storey and his work comp is in another corner at the ground floor. to cut story short ..

I am looking for feedback by users who own this new offering by Asus. I would not mind *borrowing* from my dad the eee pc for my own holidays as well

Cheers
    Ryan

Default Re: Anyone tried the Asus Eee PC ?

i bought this and its not for ordinary users since it uses Linux. Although I enjoy it very much.

Main gripe is that the screen is too small. But then again, if portability is the main concern, then this thing is recommended. WIFI reception is ok.

hi, i don't own the Ee PC but, i hav a suggestion for u with regards to the bad reception, u can try to use a signal booster to get better reception. it looks just like a stick, shldn't be too ex. hope this helps...

Demo'ed the 4GB version at the IT Show. Seemed quite sluggish - to the point where it gets a bit frustrating.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Demo'ed the 4GB version at the IT Show. Seemed quite sluggish - to the point where it gets a bit frustrating.
    Was it on Windows XP or Linux ? Wats the amt of ram ?

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    hi, i don't own the Ee PC but, i hav a suggestion for u with regards to the bad reception, u can try to use a signal booster to get better reception. it looks just like a stick, shldn't be too ex. hope this helps...
    I already got a booster already and tried several routers. And cabling all the way to the second storey is not feasible. Anyhow the reception a storey above and below is usually slightly poorer but still can surf la.

Think my dad wants to try to have something portable and can place order and monitor on his stocks and shares after i showed him how i can surf net on itouch
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 12th March 2008 at 11:46 PM.

i don't know which stock broker your dad use... majority of the stock monitoring system use java base n i think u need a fast system to handle it well as there is a lot of data transfer... eee pc is too slow for it... that is what i had experience using a none d2c system...

cheers

Is he using poems by phillip securities? There are pages optimised for mobile device usage such as pdas and mobile phones since years ago.(Its an excuse for him to get an extra touch ).
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Quote Originally Posted by lieu9310 View Post
    i don't know which stock broker your dad use... majority of the stock monitoring system use java base n i think u need a fast system to handle it well as there is a lot of data transfer... eee pc is too slow for it... that is what i had experience using a none d2c system...

cheers
    Hi lieu9310 thanks for ur feedback. It is invaluable to get someone who does online trading and has some feedback on the processor requirment. But does the java base platform use up so much resources ?

Quote Originally Posted by chanxj View Post
    Is he using poems by phillip securities? There are pages optimised for mobile device usage such as pdas and mobile phones since years ago.(Its an excuse for him to get an extra touch ).
    Haha touch is too small even for me.
    He has poems and something else. The thing is i understand u need quite a continuous flow of data. So you reckon the Eee PC cannot handle the information ?

I am not lookin into video / games . just surfing and thats just about the most demanding it can get

Ryan

The EEE is good enough. Poems has been around since the days of pentium 1 or 2. Just do not add too many stocks to the watchlist.
    Serious, go try the mobile edition of poems. Its quite good.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

ok thanks. will be dropping by later today at SL to see if i can try out one