Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: DVD_RW questions

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default DVD_RW questions

    I've tested burning some data onto a DVD+RW and wanted to recover the space. However, it seems that when I use Iomega's Hotburn software to erase (whether full or fast), the old sessions are still kept. When I did a format to packet format however, I got back the entire space. However, erase after format still does not get back the entire space. (I prefer to use normal format as opposed to packet format for greater reliability.)

    Is this behaviour normal? CD-RW works fine.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Try use Nero

    should be like that one leh...
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  3. #3
    samlim
    Guests

    Question DVD formats?

    hi!

    just got a new multi-format DVD writer, but puzzling over the various DVD formats...

    maybe someone can advise? like what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

    And how come some DVD media i saw got 9.6GB storage instead of the normal 4.7?

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: DVD formats?

    Originally posted by samlim
    hi!

    just got a new multi-format DVD writer, but puzzling over the various DVD formats...
    Sony 500A or 510A??
    Last edited by Wai; 8th June 2003 at 11:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    The "Plus" format is backed by microsoft while the "Minus" format is backed by Pioneer. Both formats will probably exist for quite sometime before the manufactuers settled with the more popular one. Although DVD "Plus" standard is newer than "Minus", DVD "Minus" media are more easily available in the market now and there are more choices. Moreover, the prices for "Minus" media are much cheaper so it is more economical to use the "Minus" format if compatibility is not the main concern. The "Plus" format will be useful for those who want to store video and want to playback on standalone DVD players, because the plus format should not have compatibility problem with these players

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: DVD formats?

    Originally posted by samlim

    And how come some DVD media i saw got 9.6GB storage instead of the normal 4.7?
    probably double sided, single layer

    for single sided, double layer, should be abt 8GB

    also there is double sided, double layer, which is over 15GB

    existing consumer DVD writer cannot write on double layer media, but reading shouldn't be a problem

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by Wai
    The "Plus" format is backed by microsoft while the "Minus" format is backed by Pioneer. Both formats will probably exist for quite sometime before the manufactuers settled with the more popular one. Although DVD "Plus" standard is newer than "Minus", DVD "Minus" media are more easily available in the market now and there are more choices. Moreover, the prices for "Minus" media are much cheaper so it is more economical to use the "Minus" format if compatibility is not the main concern. The "Plus" format will be useful for those who want to store video and want to playback on standalone DVD players, because the plus format should not have compatibility problem with these players
    Actually, the "Plus" format is designed and backed up by HP, not microsoft , microsoft just join in the "plus" Aillance recently , the aillance includes, DELL, HP, MS, Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim), Philips, Richo, Sony, Thomson and Yamaha. They claim themselves as the standard everyone is using. The Standard is said to br 90% compatible with DVD-R and 70% compatible with DVD-RW (meaning there is a 30% chance a DVD+RW player might not read cut DVD-RW, but 10% chance of a DVD+RW player unable to read DVD-R disc).

    the Minus format is created by Pioneer Electronics, the Original DVD format. basically a big cash cow for them, able to collect a lot of royalties for ever DVD player made .

    (Ever wondered why a new format was created? )

    More information please read http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by Wai
    Try use Nero

    should be like that one leh...
    still no use.... erase with nero still can't recover the full space could it be incompatibility of the medium with the drive?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    still no use.... erase with nero still can't recover the full space could it be incompatibility of the medium with the drive?
    which +RW media u are using?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Verbatim DVD+RW's bought from PC Show. Both have the same problem
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    Verbatim DVD+RW's bought from PC Show. Both have the same problem
    no problem for me leh, i use nero to format

    u try uninstall the hotburn software first?

    may be it is the hotburn software that format the disc automatically for packet writing

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    East SG
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    still no use.... erase with nero still can't recover the full space could it be incompatibility of the medium with the drive?
    the full space as in 4.7GB?

    it's not possible to burn all 4.7GB of the disc.... i can usually burn just 4.5Gb at max out of the whole DVD-RW

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by Wai
    no problem for me leh, i use nero to format

    u try uninstall the hotburn software first?

    may be it is the hotburn software that format the disc automatically for packet writing
    Uninstalled and it solved the problem! Thanks, Wai

    Hi BoXXer, before I uninstalled HotBurn, I was left with only less than 300MB after erasing..... 4.5GB sounds about right Thanks, anyway.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    Uninstalled and it solved the problem! Thanks, Wai

    Hi BoXXer, before I uninstalled HotBurn, I was left with only less than 300MB after erasing..... 4.5GB sounds about right Thanks, anyway.
    hhehe...that is a "features" of +RW actually...background formatting

    i suppose u can disabled background formatting somewhere??

    i did not install the hotburn software so i am not sure....

    but background formatting is suppose to prepare the disc for packet writing, that's why there will be no more free space left

    i can squeeze abt 4483MB of data to a disc

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    East SG
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Originally posted by Wai
    hhehe...that is a "features" of +RW actually...background formatting

    i suppose u can disabled background formatting somewhere??

    i did not install the hotburn software so i am not sure....

    but background formatting is suppose to prepare the disc for packet writing, that's why there will be no more free space left

    i can squeeze abt 4483MB of data to a disc
    yea me neither.... been using nero all the way. mpenza u might want to try out nero..

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    yup, Nero works great
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    345

    Lightbulb

    More Info :

    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/

    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technol...d/dvdrec_r.htm

    DVD+R/RW is from Philips not HP. DVD-R/RW is From Pioneer. DVD-RAM 9.6GB not our market yet. But slowly. Due to NO desktop standalone player can play back. Only IDE DVD-RAM drive Only. The storage space is Big. If you need to backup some good Movie from DVD-9 to DVD-5, used DVD-R/RW. This format is the best for all the playback machine.

    I used Germany VOB CD/DVD Instant 6.5 Write software for erase my data on both DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW. You can try on Pinnacle CD/DVD instant 7.0

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Have been using Nero and burnt about 20GB of data so far.

    Is it good to store DVD/CD in an electrical drybox to prolong the life?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    East SG
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    Have been using Nero and burnt about 20GB of data so far.

    Is it good to store DVD/CD in an electrical drybox to prolong the life?
    never heard of that before.....

  20. #20

    Default

    Originally posted by KCBox
    More Info :

    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/

    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technol...d/dvdrec_r.htm

    DVD+R/RW is from Philips not HP. DVD-R/RW is From Pioneer. DVD-RAM 9.6GB not our market yet. But slowly. Due to NO desktop standalone player can play back. Only IDE DVD-RAM drive Only. The storage space is Big. If you need to backup some good Movie from DVD-9 to DVD-5, used DVD-R/RW. This format is the best for all the playback machine.

    I used Germany VOB CD/DVD Instant 6.5 Write software for erase my data on both DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW. You can try on Pinnacle CD/DVD instant 7.0
    9.6GB DVD-RAM is in Singapore. Saw some in SLS. They are in cartridge format. So your DVD-RAM writer must be a cartridge loader not tray loading.

    I am using a Pioneer A05 DVD-R/-RW writer, I was also split between getting a - or a +.

    But DVD-R/-RW are generally cheaper than +R/+RW, (checked SLS and lots of shops for the price comparison)

    And it is more compatitble with DVD players, if I need to copy a DVD movie disc.

    Microsoft who has joined the DVD+R/+RW has recently announced support for th -R/-RW in their next OS "Longhorn" in 2005 too.

    It seems there are millions of DVD-R users and they cannot ignore them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •